Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Whats harder?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 AM
supamagician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats harder?

In terms of racing, what do you think is harder, on-road or off-road, and why?

Me personally, i think off-road would be because not only are you racing, but you are also jumping, which makes a higher chance of accidentally flipping which takes away time. also, if you dont take a turn right and hit the jump after it wrong, you could be in a whole other lane, which would kill your time.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 AM
RevToTheRedline
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Whats harder?

on-road without a doubt, it requires much more concentration on hitting the perfect line, and having a perfectly setup car. Off-road is much more forgiving on setup and driving.

When you are flying around a track with a top level 1/10 4WD on-road car doing 60+mph, it takes a lot of skill to hit those lines.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 AM
slayerphonics

Everyone is gonna say whatever they drive is harder,

An on-road comes over and trys to drive my truggy and is slaming into walls everywhere.

But he is ripping the on-road track up.

Its all what your used to,

To say off-road is more forgiving is an incorrect statment in the fact that off-road is less predictable, one of the things that makes off-road very hard.

I don't want to get into what is harder, I watch the guys race on road and it looks hard.
I just don't like on-road its a bit boring and i'm always looking for the jumps.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 AM
RevToTheRedline
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

An on-road comes over and trys to drive my truggy and is slaming into walls everywhere.

To say off-road is more forgiving is an incorrect statment in the fact that off-road is less predictable, one of the things that makes off-road very hard.

I don't want to get into what is harder, I watch the guys race on road and it looks hard.
I just don't like on-road its a bit boring and i'm always looking for the jumps.

If all the good on-road tracks didn't die out around me because of the increased popularitry in off-road, I'd sell every piece of off-road equipment I have and buy a XRAY NT-1 on-road car, I prefer on-road, I love all the setup required to get them just right.

Regardless of what you think, the amount of setup time that has to go in to on-road is MUCH more than off-road requires, there is no perfect way to get 100% traction on dirt, so the setup can never be perfect. It can be close to what the driver thinks is perfection but still nope.

Foxy will probably come in here later and give his 2 cents on it all. As hes done both competitively.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:37 AM
supamagician

I can see how on-road can be hard. i never realized there was so much pre work that goes into an onroad car before the race
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 AM
slayerphonics

No doubt on road is tuff,

but you nailed it on the head with off-road traction is the unpredictable variable that makes off road tuff,

off and on road have there own degrees of problems, and comes down to a personal liking of on or off road, one day I'll get on road a shot,
Old 06-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Nitro Fumes

I've done both. I started in 1/8 on road nitro now I'm doing 1/10 off road nitro. With on road the traction gets better as the day goes on. The groove is always the same. And the surface is certainly smoother. With off road its bumpy with some holes and jumps. Plus off road cars/trucks are all open wheel which can tangle when most on road cars are closed wheel so a tap with another car won't get you both hung up on each other. But of course they both take a great deal of skill and knowledge.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 PM
ozium

In my humble and unworthy opinion - off road is harder.

Whether you are driving on road or off road, the perfect line is what all drivers strive for. Dirt needs more concentration - it requires more finnesse with the transmitter to hold a perfect line on a bumpy uneven turn or on loose dirt. Steering and throttle corrections are required during the turn.

The trick to driving on-road cars is timing - braking at exactly the same point - entering the turn and hitting the apex at exactly the point...accelerating out at exactly the same point...consistency wins races. If you have the track memorized you don't need steering or throttle corrections - after many laps it becomes routine...even at 60mph you could almost do it with your eyes closed.

Also, on road cars have no suspension and everyone uses foam so you don't have to consider what tread pattern to use. Off road requires suspension tuning - you have to experiment with different spring rates and different weight shock oil and tread patterns.

But like someone already said: everyone is going to say whatever they prefer to drive is harder. On-road skills don't carry over to off-road, and off-road skills don't carry over to on-road. It's all just personal opinion.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yoyu're right in a way, but I race both, adequately, and on-road simply requires more concentration. I'm mentally exhausted after an on-road race, whereas I'm not after an off road. On road requires more consistency, less aggression, off road requires more aggression and less consistency. I agree that the changing track during an off road race can be a challenge, but it doesn't change that much. If you make a mistake in on road, you know it was your fault, and you'll lose more time from it. On-road races usually have less marshalling, so every second counts and then some. One bad line can cost you the race if you race with good people. Off road doesn't punish you like that, except the potential to take a jump wrong, and total your car.

Ozium, what you say about suspension, I'm afraid is the exact opposite. On road cars require much more precise setting up. I can set up an off road car and win a race without setup gauges, try that with an on-road, you'll be all over the place. Also, my on-road skills do carry over to off road, whereas aggressive off road drivers don't have a hope in hell of racing an on-road car without a lot of practise. There's no doubt that if you have on-road skill, you can do off road, but NOT vice versa. It's just more technique. By the way Kev (revtotheredline) races off road, so he's not stating the class he runs, he simply understands. I prefer on road for racing and off road for bashing, but I can easily race off road, and my technique is better than most, due to the on-road experience.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

Patting my head and rubbing my belly at the same time. Otherwise the question is too vague as there are way too many different parameters to quanitfy a reputable and rational reply.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:31 PM
ozium

ORIGINAL: rckt_mtrspts

Patting my head and rubbing my belly at the same time. Otherwise the question is too vague as there are way too many different parameters to quanitfy a reputable and rational reply.
That's exactly why you're supposed to say that whatever you prefer to drive is harder!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: ozium
That's exactly why you're supposed to say that whatever you prefer to drive is harder!
It has always been my opinion that if the answer is longer than the question it sounds more like a quiz or a test than an actual question.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:48 PM
GYNAIKAS

I vote for on road. That's because you need to be SO SO precice in everything. From the adjustments to the driving lines...every second counts. And due to the higer cornering speed, 1kph more than your car's limit and that's it...you're out!!! Once static friction turns into drift friction, it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces traction...and of course you need "cojones" to bring it back in straight line. I don't support on road because I'm an on roader. My first car was an off road and I've also tried rally game...they seem too easy for my taste.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:19 PM
J.D.T

as a basher I have had much more success racing on road than I have off road even though 80% of my driving experience is off road, of course it helps that the car is set up by the track champion and usually has the setup that won the week before. Carpet is another story, almost to much traction lulls you into going faster and faster then bang...that wallboard is going to need repainted lol.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Access

First I've only done electric, no nitro or gas.

A lot of it comes down to psyche / personal skill. I have done both and for me and I do much better off-road. On-road is very competitive, traction today is basically infinite (with chemicals like paragon / tire tweak / death grip) and the emphasis is on driving a perfect line and doing so as fast as you can. Any half-decent driver can make it through the race without a major mishap so once you get past the newbie levels conservative driving is not going to win. You have to push the limits but not to the point where you screw up or lose more time with a major mishap. Tuning and power is pretty important since traction is basically infinite.

Off-road is completely different, breakage is more common, people are racing things much closer to stock RTR, and traction is so limited that the emphasis is on smooth, reliable, conservative driving. One bad jump can end the race for you right then and there. I love the races with longer >5 minute mains, like the 10 minute mains or the 20 minutes that is becoming more common with LiPo.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Rob6

Im surprised to see that no one has said that in on road if you wreck 90% of the time your done for the day! Try hitting the wall at 60+ mph and drive away...
Old 06-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Foxy

I saw a Kyosho evolva once crash at about 60, went flying over the track fence into the car park. Awesome.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Nik.

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Yoyu're right in a way, but I race both, adequately, and on-road simply requires more concentration. I'm mentally exhausted after an on-road race, whereas I'm not after an off road. On road requires more consistency, less aggression, off road requires more aggression and less consistency.
I would have to add that it very much depends on the car you drive and how it is set up. Some off road cars you can slap aroudn and drive aggressively, but others like the 8ight and xxx4 in my experience requires more fitness and throttle control. Offroad in general might be easier to drive then onroad, but its just as hard to be fast IMO.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Nik.

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Yoyu're right in a way, but I race both, adequately, and on-road simply requires more concentration. I'm mentally exhausted after an on-road race, whereas I'm not after an off road. On road requires more consistency, less aggression, off road requires more aggression and less consistency.
I would have to add that it very much depends on the car you drive and how it is set up. Some off road cars you can slap aroudn and drive aggressively, but others like the 8ight and xxx4 in my experience requires more fitness and throttle control.
Agreed for sure. I only race Xray cars.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:25 AM
fm2h3

I would have to say ON ROAD
Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 AM
slayerphonics

Why isn't there an off-road VRC game?

There are ones for on-road,

I'm sure it has to do with physics, as off-road physics are much more complicated and unpredictable.

I'm not saying either one is harder or easier,
Old 06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
TheIronMaiden

i would say on-road due to the massive amounts of time that goes into tuning the car. I drive off road but i got respect for both forms of racing.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM
supamagician

Why isn't there an off-road VRC game?

There are ones for on-road,

I'm sure it has to do with physics, as off-road physics are much more complicated and unpredictable.

I'm not saying either one is harder or easier,
they are in the process of making an off road game. i think it will be out sometime this summer

http://www.virtualrc.com/news/news.aspx?nid=94
Old 06-05-2008, 07:27 AM
novakmaxx

off road is harder. they brake more because you are jumping.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:37 AM
adam-69

personally i race 1/8th buggys on road, and truggies off road. IMO the on road is much harder, if you make a tiny mistake it can cost so much. hit an apex wrong (which i do frequently) and you've lost 2,3 even four places in one corner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.