Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Overdrive ST Probs

Old 05-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Link9624

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive ST Probs

Hey,
My brother just got a used Overdrive ST. The thing runs alright, but all the sudden while running, if you let off the throttle for a second, it just dies. It sometimes runs fine for a few minutes but eventually that happens. It also hard to start after it is running and also before, but not as hard. I thought it could be some tunning probs, but my freind and i had worked with it with no avail. It runs fine but then just dies all the sudden. I am going to try a TRX .15 pro carb when i get a chance, and mabey that will fix it up..... This is my bros first Nitro car, so he is pretty bummed out, so what do some of you guys think the problem is?

-Pete
Old 05-10-2003, 06:45 PM
James1701

Sounds like you might be vapor locking. I had that trouble when I first got my Maximum St. I had trouble just priming fuel up to the engine to start it. Also what is your current carb settings?
Old 05-10-2003, 08:11 PM
rc10gt-RCU

There are alot of people having problems with the overdrive st and that's because of the velocity .17 motor. I work part time at our hobby shop here and duratrax is paying us to figure out whats wrong with the engines. We are experiencing the same problems as you and the motors are running very hot in order to get any power at all. When we figure out what the problem is I will post our findings and maybe you could try that. Sorry I don't have an answer right now however.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Overdrive

I have a overdrive too, I 've almost run a gallon through it and it runs great. My carb settings are 2 turns open on the HSP and no adjustment to the LSP. I've had problems with glow plugs, I seem too be going though alot of them, already went through 4. I use the OS #3's. Other than that i've havent had any problems with the velocity 17 engine, except just newbie problems. My only problem I had was when I went through a ditch full of water, about tire high and the water splashed up under the hood and socked the air filter(im assuming thats what happened). And then it shut off. It works now though, luckly that didnt kill it. When my enigine dies ill probably invest in a fantom or picco .15 engine.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:26 PM
rc10gt-RCU

I'm not saying that all overdrives experience motor problems but the 4 of the 5 we have sold are back in the shop because of motor problems. Other than that they are a solid truck and 4 wheel drive is nice.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:14 AM
James1701

RC10gt, other than the shaft and head is there much difference between the velocity 16 and the 16 on the maximum st? On my st if the temp hits 230 it starts smoking and just cuts out. Keep it around 200 and it does very well.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:23 AM
mellowgringo

Default RE: Overdrive ST Probs

I've had one for a year and it gives me hell. My hobby shop also stopped selling it, because too many came back. I've e-mailed duratraxx numerous times and gotten bs answers like there is nothing wrong. I really think we should request new engines or a solution that works (that new o.s. .18 in the evader st couldn't hurt). If anyone has an idea let us know.