Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Electric car cleaning

Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 PM
brianmhaskell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric car cleaning

Any trick out there on cleaning rc cars after it is completely a dusty mess? I can't afford to buy those cleaning sprays from the hobby shops constantly and am sure that someone out there has a trick. Please let me know.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:19 PM
omg no name

Default RE: Electric car cleaning

air compressor
Old 06-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Longhair

air compresser.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
brianmhaskell

Thanks brother. Anyone else?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can get a air duster can from walmart, made for computers and such. i dont know if its any cheaper than the hobby shop's, but its worth a look.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:18 PM
TheTruckingGuru

Air compressor sounds good but who actually uses one? It hurts my ears to so I look goofy wearing ear plugs. I have one and use it all the time to dry my rc cars, but it doesn't do anything by itself. You have to run the car carefully under hot watter, and maybe uses a wet rag with a little soap. Clean it well being careful of the electronics. Or better yet I have all my receivers and sometimes the ESC Velcro'd in for easy removal. Get the water hot in the sink, throw a rag on the drain hole to catch rocks and such, then use the hose sprayer to clean your car. Works for me. Also I even bake my RC cars that fit in the oven for a few hours to really dry everything out. Just make sure to set the temp under 180f or you can demagnetize the magnets. 160f works well and is more then safe, place on a cooking tray or tires can stick to the grill a little. Test the center with a toothpick for doneness. Bonappetite BTW some cars (my Rustler) take longer then others to wash. The LST2 is really easy to clean and washing only takes about 10-15minutes. For Brushed motors using Carborator Cleaner can substitute for motor cleaner from hobby shops. And WD40 can substitute for after run oil for Nitro's. But thats like lubing your bike chain or RC Car bearings with motor oil, or washing your real car with dish soap, or using a bar of soap to wash your hair in the shower. It's cheap and it works, but your better off using the real stuff if you want quality results. Brushless motors are more sealed then brushed motors, but once in a while you should still open up the can and spray it out with motor cleaner or if your on a budget Carb Cleaner. Then use quality lube for the bearings inside, and on the rest of your car. If you don't bake the car dry afterward you might find you got water inside the servos or motor while cleaning (those I don't remove) and that can cause them to fail.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:37 AM
TIGER76

Yeh use air when washing down you have to remove everything electric then wash the chassis down then reoil all bearings diffs etc
using the air compressor is so much easier or like said grab a aircan from pc/computer places
Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Bigshades

I use an Air compressor for clearing dust, While with mud or stuck-on particles, i use a brush.

I've also use a pressure water sprayer on my t-maxx. It got hopelessly dirty once, i just removed all the electrics and motor, and sprayed the chassis. Cuts right through the mud, and clears off grease. Makes the plastic look new.

Cheers!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: TheTruckingGuru

Air compressor sounds good but who actually uses one? It hurts my ears to so I look goofy wearing ear plugs. I have one and use it all the time to dry my rc cars, but it doesn't do anything by itself. You have to run the car carefully under hot watter, and maybe uses a wet rag with a little soap. Clean it well being careful of the electronics. Or better yet I have all my receivers and sometimes the ESC Velcro'd in for easy removal. Get the water hot in the sink, throw a rag on the drain hole to catch rocks and such, then use the hose sprayer to clean your car. Works for me. Also I even bake my RC cars that fit in the oven for a few hours to really dry everything out. Just make sure to set the temp under 180f or you can demagnetize the magnets. 160f works well and is more then safe, place on a cooking tray or tires can stick to the grill a little. Test the center with a toothpick for doneness. Bonappetite BTW some cars (my Rustler) take longer then others to wash. The LST2 is really easy to clean and washing only takes about 10-15minutes. For Brushed motors using Carborator Cleaner can substitute for motor cleaner from hobby shops. And WD40 can substitute for after run oil for Nitro's. But thats like lubing your bike chain or RC Car bearings with motor oil, or washing your real car with dish soap, or using a bar of soap to wash your hair in the shower. It's cheap and it works, but your better off using the real stuff if you want quality results. Brushless motors are more sealed then brushed motors, but once in a while you should still open up the can and spray it out with motor cleaner or if your on a budget Carb Cleaner. Then use quality lube for the bearings inside, and on the rest of your car. If you don't bake the car dry afterward you might find you got water inside the servos or motor while cleaning (those I don't remove) and that can cause them to fail.
You can get quiet air compressors. I have one for airbrushing, no need to get industrial strength.

The air compressor works AMAZING for cleaning my electric cars. No need to strip anything down and everything blows right off. I love it.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Buy some denatured alcohol from walmart or your hardware store . Then get a spray bottle in put it in the bottle . Spray down your car and then hit it with the air compressor . The denatured alcohol won`t harm the electronics so you won`t have to remove anything .
Old 06-19-2008, 07:35 PM
brianmhaskell

Nice post. I think that is the way to go.
Thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 AM
TheTruckingGuru

What Dawman said sounds like a great idea. Also spraying the car with simple green and then hitting it with an air compressor works. My air compressor doesn't run when I use it. It just fills up two air tanks and I can use it from there. Still the sound it makes when the air is whooshing against the car is very loud. It works well enough for my electric drift car. If you clean with hot soapy water and wd40 you can dry up the bearings and cause problems if you don't re-lube. I like the pressure hose; I use one myself on my large 1/5 scale gas car. I just remove the electronics, cover the air filter with a plastic bag, plug the exhaust and spray away.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:49 AM
Dudelive

All sounds good except....Don't use carb cleaner, use brake clean instead if you want an aerosol spray can. Carb cleaner on some electronics and some wiring can get damaged. The product that Dawman mentioned would be ideal as it will dry quite fast and not leave a film behind.
Simple green works but don't leave it on too long as some strong cleaning chemicals have been known to deteriorate wire insulation.

For blowing things off, this should work rather well. You will have easier control over how hard the air is blowing which will result in less mess and quieter noise:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95159

I use one almost like this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42424