Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Some help with tyre/tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:55 PM
stormdrum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help with tyre/tire choices

Hi, I have been registered here a while but haven't posted until now.

Briefly, I have got back into RC after pulling my old Optima's, Schumacher Cougar and Mardave Mini out of a cupboard and more recently buying a Tamiya Monster Beetle. Fun as they are to drive I decided it was time to go for a bit more power so opted for a Schumacher Rascal. Overall I am impressed with it, it was the size that swayed me as it is more for back garden bashing. The only problem is, the tyres that came with it are pretty poor. I got it on Friday, and after about 4 runs on the grass the rears are completely bald.

I need some suggestions on good hard wearing tyres suitable mainly for grass, I do have a tarmac path which is particularly lethal at speed for my electrics as they come off the grass so what will happen when I attempt it with the Rascal I don't know. On Sunday as I became frustrated with the complete lack of grip I had with the bald rears I decided to experiment and stuck my Monster Beetle tyres on. The grip is phenomenal and (see pic) I think the car looks awesome with these monsters on. The problem here is that the front left catches on the fuel tank when I turn fully, its not a problem as such when driving and does make for some pretty interesting cornering at speed but I guess its not going to do the fuel tank any good in the long run.

If any of you could recommend some tyres that are either similar tread wise (although not strictly important) and size wise ( I want to get them as big as possible) to the ones pictured below I would really appreciate it. The biggest problem I have is there is no RC shop near me so I am pretty stuck when it comes to making a decision as I have no real points of reference.

Thanks in advance[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 06-24-2008, 02:04 PM
wolfgang123

Default RE: Some help with tyre/tire choices

i would go with the masher 2000. i have them on my GT2 and they are like a second pair of shocks. (they are really soft and grip like crazy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9xYtnW1cyk

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 AM
stormdrum

Thanks, I've been eying these for a while now. My concern is the diameter of them, the pictured ones (with wear) are about 4.5" or 115mm in diameter which is slightly too big. What is the diameter of the Masher 2000?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:00 AM
andrewtexas123

You might want to stick with the monster beetle tires.. If they give you grip that's good enough plus they look beastly and probably raise the ride height..

Andrew
Old 06-26-2008, 06:15 AM
stormdrum

The problem is they are just too big so when turning full left they catch on the corner of the fuel tank. I figure it shouldn't do any severe damage as such as there is no power to the front so resistance is pretty low when it catches. The other problem with the pictured tyres is that if I was to replace them with new ones they have the studs on top of the tread which is going to add to the diameter and further hinder the left wheel, as I said above, it does make for some interesting and fun cornering at speed but kind of flat flips the car which can be hazardous if I don't straighten up a bit in time.