Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have experience with the Duratrax 230 ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Does anyone have experience with the Duratrax 230 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:51 PM
WD-40
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have experience with the Duratrax 230 ?

Im looking for a good all around charger that wont break the bank. I came across the Duratrax 230 which looks pretty decent, Im curious what you guys think of it. Basically I need to charge my r/x, t/x & ignitor.

http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4230.html

Specifications
AC input: 110V AC 60Hz
DC input: 11-15V DC, built-in lead with alligator clips
Battery types: 1-8 NiCd or NiMH cells (1.2-9.6V)
1-3 LiPo, Li-Ion, or LiFe cells (3.7-11.1V)
Battery capacity range: 50-9900mAh
Fast charge current: 0.1-7.0A linear, adjustable
(AC 50W, DC 70W, 2C limit for lithiums)
Fast charge termination: peak detection for NiCd/MH, cc/cv for lithiums
Fast charge safety timer: off-300 minutes
NiCd/MH peak sensitivity: 3-20mV adjustable
NiCd/MH trickle charge curent: auto mode (1/20 fast charge setting), or manual set 0-250mA
Controls: 4 pushbuttons
Battery memories: 10
Display type: 2x8 reversed LCD with backlight
Setup tones: on / off
Audible melodies: 5
Output connection: banana jacks (includes standard adapter)*
Protective devices: solid-state reverse polarity and current overload
Case size: 6.0 x 5.28 x 1.69†(153 x 134 x 43 mm)
Weight: 23.5 oz. (666 g)
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 PM
warheadforever

Default RE: Does anyone have experience with the Duratrax 230 ?

Well, I don't personally own one, but as a person that has owned, and taking very good care of his stuff...I hate DTX, from my experience, they are junk, they have horrible quality. But like I said, I don't own one of those, I am just going from other stuff that I have bought from them.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Evader ---> MGT

I love my Duratrax chargers, and all three of my Evaders (2 nitro and 1 EXT). I guess their Warhead was kind of a flunk...

I can say their charger's a decent, for their price. Many people swear by that charger, and it's good for it's price. If you don't plan on charging more than a 3S LiPo, then it's perfect, and since you're only doing the nitro necessities, it's more than you need and you have room to grow.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're good chargers, better than most anything else Duratrax makes.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:02 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

It may be overkill for doing radio batts. (more power than you need)

The Elite by Hobbico may be a better choice and will do two packs at once.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

Well, I don't personally own one, but as a person that has owned, and taking very good care of his stuff...I hate DTX, from my experience, they are junk, they have horrible quality. But like I said, I don't own one of those, I am just going from other stuff that I have bought from them.
So you think thew Duratrax ICE charger is horrible quality? That charger is amazing for how many useful features it has, motor break in, powers a lathe, 3 different charge styles, and many more. I have the Onyx 230. I got it when I wasnt into racing so I didnt think I would need a discharger/motor break in feature/discharger so I thought it was great for what you could do with it. It is still a great buy for the price, just not a something for me because I race.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I like those chargers, but I had to choose between the 230 or the MRC 977. For me, the 977 was a better unit and better deal, but I would still say the 230 is a nice charger. Good upper middle of the road charger as far as quality and features.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Sugafree

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

So you think thew Duratrax ICE charger is horrible quality? That charger is amazing for how many useful features it has, motor break in, powers a lathe, 3 different charge styles, and many more. I have the Onyx 230. I got it when I wasnt into racing so I didnt think I would need a discharger/motor break in feature/discharger so I thought it was great for what you could do with it. It is still a great buy for the price, just not a something for me because I race.

I'm Not a fan of Duratrash...(I had two of there Chargers before the ICE came out and they where crap)

Duratrax doesn't make their own chargers...... (Well Not the Newer ones like the ICE.....)
The Team Checkpoint, ICE, and Triton chargers are probably made by the same manufacturer, but use different software.....
They're mass produced by some other manufacturer for them, and they slap their name on it.
The Team Checkpoint version is nice, as it has the backlight built in, and has a little wider range on charging/discharging capacity.
The downside is the price.

Team Checkpoint,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYT8&P=7

ICE,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHDJ1&P=7

Edit, My links didn't work.....(Think they are now)
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC
Hay man, I didn't mean to be insulting, or anything, so please don't get mad.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Sugafree
I'm Not a fan of Duratrash...(I had two of there Chargers before the ICE came out and they where crap)

Duratrax doesn't make their own chargers...... (Well Not the Newer ones like the ICE.....)
The Team Checkpoint, ICE, and Triton chargers are probably made by the same manufacturer, but use different software.....
They're mass produced by some other manufacturer for them, and they slap their name on it.
The Team Checkpoint version is nice, as it has the backlight built in, and has a little wider range on charging/discharging capacity.
The downside is the price.

Team Checkpoint,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYT8&P=7

ICE,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHDJ1&P=7
Duratrash. LOL I will have to remember that one.