Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

reviving batteries

Old 12-26-2008, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reviving batteries

well, i screwed up and let my batteries set for months without using them. now they always seem like their dead. any tips on how to revive them.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:06 AM

Default RE: reviving batteries

charge them up, when they come of the charger they should be slightly warm, then throw them in the car and discharge as long as you can drive (then put on some blocks and run more), let it cool and repeat a few times, this should revive them, sometimes it takes a few cycles, some maybe just so old no matter what you do it doesn't help, snip the wires (come in handy) and find somewhere that recycles batteries [8D]
Old 12-26-2008, 04:14 AM

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

well, i screwed up and let my batteries set for months without using them. now they always seem like their dead. any tips on how to revive them.
What kind of material aer these batts? LiPo? NiCad? NiMH?

I know taht some batts do not like being deep discharged (LiPos for example).
Old 12-26-2008, 12:12 PM

nimh. would it be okay to put them on the discharger? i have a tower hobbies cheap timed charger/discharger that i got for free, could i just use that to discharge it? also, shoud i recharge them slow or fast?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:20 PM

yes discharging would be even better. Also charge at a lower charge rate if possible. Try .5 amps or the lwest your charger can go.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:02 PM

I have found this site to be very helpful with battery questions. They of course want to sell their product (battery conditioners) but they provide a lot of unbiased info about the batteries themselves.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
Old 12-26-2008, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

nimh. would it be okay to put them on the discharger? i have a tower hobbies cheap timed charger/discharger that i got for free, could i just use that to discharge it? also, shoud i recharge them slow or fast?
That's what I did yesterday on an old Dynamite 1500 nimh. It came back to live but not to the maximum capacity.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:10 PM

they are 4200 mah and the discharger is a 15 minute timed charger/discharger. how long should i discharge it for?