Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Diff fluid? Do I need it?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff fluid? Do I need it?

I was browsing some older posts about the MTR-2S and came across about adding diff fluid in the front and rear diff housings.
Am I supposed to do this or are they already filled?
What about my MXT-2S?
I don't want to hurt anything, so do I need to do this?
If so, what do I use? And what weight?
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Diff fluid? Do I need it?

the diffs on the mxt are pretty strong. i would just leave them as is if i were you.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 PM

Ok, what about my MTR-2S that is coming soon?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need to do it, it cant hurt though. I would use a thick diff oil it anything. you can tune how the slip works on the front and rear diffs by the weight of the fluid, want a more of a posi use a thick diff fluid, great for all around bashing, if you want to race on a track, you want more slip in the front wheels so you can corner better so you would use thinner fluid. I only use diff fluid in my racing rc's, mainly truggys and buggys.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:41 PM

JP.....
I havent had need to open the Diff Capsules on any of my Himotos yet so I cant be sure, but........
Your Diffs probably have Grease in them right Now, which works just fine if you are Bashing.
(Although Himoto keeps Surprising me,,,,so there MIGHT be Diff Fluid inside there.) Eddie would know for sure....

The reason Racers use diff FLUID is to adjust to Varying Track conditions and to get an EDGE on the next Guy.....
You can do it if you Want,,,it certainly wont hurt anything, but I dont think it will make much difference if you are Bashing in a Field......
Old 12-26-2008, 07:54 PM

OK, I think I got it. Thick heavy oil makes it like the diff is locked. OK cool.
I think I will use that Lucas Oils engine oil additive stuff since it sticks to your gears and stays there and lubricates them.
Just a few drops would be needed.
That is what I will do.
I remember growing up with my first electric buggy(Tamiya Grasshopper) and tried filling up the rear diff with cooking oil. Just the drag from the oil almost burnt up the RS380 motor! I'm sure Canola oil would have been better.. LOL!
You live and learn.....
Thanks guys!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:13 PM

your best of with silicone shock/diff oils, the heat and cold wont effect them where it will effect lucas and other oils that are not silicone
Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 PM

get some 10K Diff fluid.. it works... but if you want a more of a locked style get like 50k or more... with small 1.9" tires 10K is ehough but for the MXT you would need 50K MTR probaly 25k
Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 PM

OK, next question:
If I decide to add diff oil, how much do I use?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 PM

at least 3/4 full
Old 12-26-2008, 11:39 PM

I had been told 200wt in the front diff and 500wt in the rear (now this is for buggies).....if I remember right my mtr-3 diffs came filled, but as to what wt of oil I do not know...and like Eddie said your better using rc oils so temp changes doesnt mess with them...if u think about it cold oil is thicker then hot oil....this will make your rc act differently....I am a big lucas guy myself...but until they make something silicone based I will stick to rc oils..lol
Old 12-26-2008, 11:47 PM

its not only outside air temp the effects it but also the friction of the gears that creates warmer temps.

On a buggy or truggy usually you would start with a 7 in the front, 10 in the center and 3 in the rear so since he got the 2 speed and its a trans its already locked so (10). I would but some 7 in the front and 3 in the rear. some companies will sell it as 700, 7000 but 7 is 7.