Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Were to buy a good rc car?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Were to buy a good rc car?

Were to buy a good rc race car for around 100 to 200 bucks.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 PM

Default RE: Were to buy a good rc car?

For $200 USD, for a good RC, it's not really possible. You will have to save up to $350-$400 for a decent RTR. I personally you recommend you save to $400 before selecting an RC race car.

For you price range, you can only get a beginner RC, HSP for example. Now bear in mind those are beginner RCs intended to get beginners into the hobby, they are not necessarily RCs to do any crazy with (they are not designed with durability in mind, they are teacher RCs to teach you how to run, fix, and use RCs).

Also, bear in mind that a race car (I am guessing you are thinking about on-road nitro) is some of the higher end stuff, and these are KIT only, meaning you have to buy an engine and radio and servos separately. These kits are not cheap at all. Something like $500+. A Mugen, Serpent, XRay, fall into this category.
For maybe $400 USD, you can get a Traxxas 4-tec on-road nitro, and iIT IS RTR (it comes with radio and engine, you just need batts and fuel to run it). You can race with 4-tec, and also bash with it up and down teh street to build up your driving skills, but it will not be on par with the Mugens, XRays, Serpents, etc,. Once you have the skills, you will realize your skills will exceed what teh 4-Tec can gove you in its stock form.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Delta 3

Were to buy a good rc race car for around 100 to 200 bucks.
traxxas slash for $180 from tower hobbies

rustler xl-5, stampede xl-5,bandit xl-5

any one of those and then a cheap 6 cell battery....when you get more into the hobby you can get more upgraded stuff...
Old 12-27-2008, 01:44 PM

Hmmm...If your a beginner i think you should choose from a Tamiya TT-** Car as they are very good for beginners and are reasonably cheap! The Basic would be a TT-01, although you can get RC Models such as TT-01E or TT-01R which have HOP UP PARTS with them so its not stock from the begining, If you want to make it a drifter you could lock the REAR DIFFs or alternativly get the REAR BALL DIFFERENTIAL HOP UP option, Anyways this is my suggestion... you should be able to pick up a nice one from ' www.rcmart.com '
and if you choose to get it make sure you get a pack of bearings to replace all the bushings!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

For $200 USD, for a good RC, it's not really possible. You will have to save up to $350-$400 for a decent RTR. I personally you recommend you save to $400 before selecting an RC race car.

For you price range, you can only get a beginner RC, HSP for example. Now bear in mind those are beginner RCs intended to get beginners into the hobby, they are not necessarily RCs to do any crazy with (they are not designed with durability in mind, they are teacher RCs to teach you how to run, fix, and use RCs).

Also, bear in mind that a race car (I am guessing you are thinking about on-road nitro) is some of the higher end stuff, and these are KIT only, meaning you have to buy an engine and radio and servos separately. These kits are not cheap at all. Something like $500+. A Mugen, Serpent, XRay, fall into this category.
For maybe $400 USD, you can get a Traxxas 4-tec on-road nitro, and iIT IS RTR (it comes with radio and engine, you just need batts and fuel to run it). You can race with 4-tec, and also bash with it up and down teh street to build up your driving skills, but it will not be on par with the Mugens, XRays, Serpents, etc,. Once you have the skills, you will realize your skills will exceed what teh 4-Tec can gove you in its stock form.
+1! I say save more, you won't regret buying something for more than $200. As opposed to buying an Exceed or whatever.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 PM

there is not enough information to provide an informed opinion....

what are you doing with this "race" car. are you actually wanting to race? or are you just going to bash around the street

If you want to race, what classes do you want to race in?

if it IS an on road car you're looking for, what parts support do you have? any local hobby shops?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks,

It is not for me I have a hole slue of rc trucks, plans, and helis, and have been doing it for years.

I am trying to find one for my 5 year son for his birthday. I don,t want to give him my 3.3 revo because it could be dangerous if you no what I mean. Most of what I have is nitro and he is not ready for that kind of power.

Tying to find him somthing to start out in that won,t be to fast but yet I can get parts for. I have plenty of 3000 bateries.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:52 PM

what about you save another $80 and get a vxl rustler!

and savagejim..you can get a good rc for under 200...any traxxas electric rtr xl-5 car is a good start..simple to work with, reliable strong upgradable and fast enough for a beginner...they may not be racing spec but for the weekend basher who doens't want to spend alot they are great
Old 12-27-2008, 01:55 PM

I'D SAY GET THE TT-01 IT HAS SMALL PARTS, BUT HE COULD BUILD IT WITH SUPERVISION, ALSO ITS FAST,NOT TOO FAST,CHEAP [ NOT TOO EXPENSIVE ] AND USER FRIENDLY, ALSO I THINK YOUR SON WOULD HAVE FUN PAINTING THE CAR....and if it has lights, its even better...i would think it is a 'cool' gift from a father to his son! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 12-27-2008, 02:00 PM
My Feedback: (1)

A Bandit, Ruslter, or Stampede XL-5 RC would be more than enough to satisfy a five year old and teach him how to drive. No, he won't be able to race it, but I doubt you're going to be entering him in any races anytime soon. These, IMO, are the highest quality "cheap" RC's you can get him. They aren't top of the line or race winning models, but their are tons of parts for them. They're of a pretty good quality and hopefully would be tough enough for him to bash around with and not break stuff too much. I've heard a lot of good and bad about HSP, Exceed, and Redcat(all are made by HSP). However, I wouldn't recommend them from what I've heard about them. I think the Duratrax stuff is alright too, since it's old Losi designs, but I'm not sure of pricing on those.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:06 PM

That is true, and pretty much every hobby shop carries Traxxas parts.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks, for all the good info. My question was answered.

Ya'll have a great holiday and keep being young at heart!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:10 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Traxxas AT ALL, but they're great starter cars and I think would be about perfect for a small child to learn how to drive with. My first car when I was 6 or 7 was my Tamiya Lunchbox, and I still love it to this day(I'm 27 now)! The Tamiya kits have some great options that are in the right price range, but they're all kits. It seems as though you're preffering an RTR. If you did decide to build a kit though, don't forget to look at some Tamiya kits. The old school reproduction models are all pretty simple, durable, and a lot of fun for YEARS.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Barber420

My first car when I was 6 or 7 was my Tamiya Lunchbox, and I still love it to this day(I'm 27 now)! The Tamiya kits have some great options that are in the right price range, but they're all kits. It seems as though you're preffering an RTR. If you did decide to build a kit though, don't forget to look at some Tamiya kits. The old school reproduction models are all pretty simple, durable, and a lot of fun for YEARS.
Tamiya Lunchbox! Now that is a great beginner truck for a child to learn RCs! (And loads of fun too for adults)
And the great thing about the LB, it can be had for under $100 USD!

For even a LB, I would supervise your son, as even this electric can be deceptively fast...wouldnt feel to good on the shins