Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Anything on Nomadio React Radio

Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 AM
BRUSSER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything on Nomadio React Radio

Hi:
Being wondering about buying a new radio; was looking at 2.4gz Futaba and Spectrum but found this Nomadio
React; can anyone knows about this radio and how good and reliable they are; to which other brand name it compareand
what is the general opinion.[]
Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anything on Nomadio React Radio

The React is excellent, one of the best you can get.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:42 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one for almost a year now and its one of the best ones out there... Only problem is support for accessories.. Nomadio is a large defence contractor and their key focus is the military and government.. extra transceivers can be hard to come by.. I've had no issues with my radio and I love the telemetry aspect... One nice thing I found out, you can bind the spektrum receivers to the React Transmitter if you can't find the Nomadio one and it works fine...
Old 01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Spiro

I did quite a bit of reading regarding users praise and complaints of various 2.4 GHz systems. It was while reading about range issues some spektrum users have that I first learned about the Nomadio React radio. After reading about how the React works, as far as the 2 way communications, the way the spread spectrum frequency hopping is handled, the way the radio can be programed etc., it made me wonder why everybody isn't making radios like this. The fact that it is a 4 channel radio was a bonus for me for a project vehicle I had in the works.

Since then I have purchased 2 React radios and am extremely pleased with them. Great performance, long range, zero glitches, built in telemetry is nice, fantastic radio programing, etc. etc. I would easily purchase one again. I am not saying you might not be perfectly happy with some other radio, but I would consider the React to be excellent.

My major gripe stems from the same reason it is such a quality product in the first place. As Cenracer1 points out, RC isn't really Nomadio's buisness. They do a lot of secure data network, wireless ethernet, remotely piloted military vehicle control systems, etc. I get the impression that the React controller in the hobby world isn't a real big player in their business portfolio So even though some people who really know what they are doing have made a real quality product with some outstanding features, product availability and support suffers compared to buying something from Futaba or Spektrum etc. I bought all of my Nomadio hardware second hand off ebay from people getting out of the RC hobby for whatever reason. It is pretty hard to find in stock at a retail store, online or otherwise. That said, if you want mine you can pry my Nomadio React transmitter and transceiver out of my cold dead hands

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Old 01-14-2009, 03:55 PM
cenracer1

Spiro, I loved that last line.. I tend to agree with what you are saying, I don't know about the range issues of the spektrum but I will find out soon enough.. I put one in my Tmaxx and Brushless Rustler, but I don't drive them too far away.. the React transceiver will stay in the HPI Baja, something that I have way too much money invested in and I have a habbit of driving very far away from myself with...
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Nomandio radio sets are great, best in the market and features nobody else has. Telemetry is a huge thing going for them. Software - firmware upgradablilty from your USB to PC is another. 4th channel is an absolute great.

BUT Nomandio sucks because they dont give two turds about their RC venture. As already said, they are engrosed in their DoD contracts, they totally took a squat on their RC products. What Nomandio MUST do is subsidize just a little more and turn their RC products into not just subsidies, but invest in them to also make them a profit-maker. But that is absolutely not what they are doing. They refuse to hire more people to work in their CS for their hibby products. They refuse to tighten up on quality standards in some cases for their transceivers (the reason why many transceivers are lenmons from them), and they refuse to get onto MultiPlex to remedy the radio case problems. (The radio cases are so shoddily designed and made, I sometimes question if Nomandio is lying to us and in reality they are hiring a chinese sub-contractor to make the radio cases?)

This is what I am going to do: I wanted a Nomandio so badly for so long. But seeing how they are, I refuse to buy one. I will instead wait for Nomandio to give proper attention to their RC products before I buy a radio set from them. And if Nomandio continues to squat on the RC fans, and never improves their RC products and RC services, then I guess I will never buy one from them.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 AM
BRUSSER

and after all what does Nomadio have to say for the lack of interest in their product or is just a cover for DoD development
products. So it would be nice to hear from them to see what they have to said.[:@]
Old 01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

FWIW, I was strongly considering the React last year when I upgraded to 2.4g. In the end, the availability issues drove me off and I went with a 3PM. Much less capable radio, but it serves me well, and I was able to actually buy it when I needed it. If the availability and support issues are resolved, I wouldn't hesitate to give Nomadio a try.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: BRUSSER

and after all what does Nomadio have to say for the lack of interest in their product or is just a cover for DoD development
products. So it would be nice to hear from them to see what they have to said.[:@]
I doubt they will, they are at a point such that they right now are totally neglecting their RC products. If they do read these threads,
I hope they actually do post, they have alot of answering to do and they need to open themselves up in a transparent manner, at least as far as their RC products go, and be completely honest with us. They need to be open and say "We are GREATLY reducing our RC products, and we will make compensations for inconviniences and losses."

They need to be a man about it all and take back the faulty transcievers they have let pass their quality controls. And they need to take back all these radios that they refuse to properly support and give due refunds back to the countless angry customers. They should only let a few customers keep their radios, a managable number for them to properly support and care for. This is the wages of neglecting their RC line. If they want to focus only on DoD contracts, they need to do just that and just leave the RC industry if all they are going to do is tease and taunt us with great products and great features but cannot back great products with the due required support.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Spiro

Wow SAVAGEJIM. That is some serious bitterness! I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with your Nomadio equipment. I do think it is good to share both the positive and negative impressions however. In your dissatisfaction, what did you do with your Nomadio radio? Were you able to get a return or replacement etc?

When I bought my 1st Nomadio React, I actually did so knowing of all the issues you bring up. There are a number of threads on these forums discussing both the great features of the React as well as the disappointment in Nomadio's commitment to the RC side of their business. I read through many of these threads as well as threads for other radio brands such as Futaba and Spektrum with their own piles of praise and complaints. Knowing this, I went ahead and purchased a React on the basis that it was a great product and just what I was looking for. I must say I have had exactly the opposite experience that you apparently have had. I have very much so enjoyed my Nomadio gear and have had zero problems and superb performance since day one. In fact I liked the radio so much I purchased a second one some months later. I guess I can't really give them any stronger a recommendation than that.

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Dont get me wrong, Nomandio has the best features in the market, actually, exclusive features. No other radio set has telemetry built into the thre trancievers. All other radios only have receivers. Spektrum, Nomandio's largest competitor, especially as far as being the first to put out a 2,4GHz system, does have telemetry also, but their telemetry is not built in and integrated like Nomandio. Furthermore, Spektrum does not have USB hook-up like Sensor or React does. So, hands down, featurewise and qualitywise, Nomandio has Spektrum beat, well, except for the cheap chinese-qaulity of Nomandio's radio cases.

My bitterness comes from Nomandio's total disregard for the RC industry. It's all good that they are doing our country a service by providing military grade electronics, but Nomandio should have never dared to enter the RC industry if they have no plans at all to hire more people and subsidize more capital into their RC prodcts so that they can eventually become a profit maker. So much for beating swords into plow blades. They made it very clear they will continue to make swords as a priority over making something that is peaceful and entertaining.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM
86waterpumper

I too looked into getting one of the reacts, back when I built up my baja5b. Alot of the guys that run the big scale get these, as they have more chanels available for kill switches etc. I read about the support issues on other forums already and also saw how much trouble people were having getting support. When you first hear about all the features they have they seem super cool. I like to tinker with computers so having that ability is a big plus. I agree the other manufacturers need to get on board with this especially since now you have the escs which can do this too. I think what nomadio did was to pretty much give the other competitors a liscense to sit on their duffs for awhile and not incorporate these features, by removing themselves from the industry. The coolest feature of it, the pc link has also been a problem for many, as it has sometimes totally messed up their radios, and then they would have to send them back for replacement or let the company patch and update them themselves etc. Are any new firmwares even been written in awhile? I heard a few horror stories of bad firmware updates and some expensive runaways and I steered clear and went with futaba. The telemetry features are cool but I guess it all comes down to how badly you need a 4 channel and how much aggravation you are willing to go through on finding rx' and getting help and support. I would think real hard about buying one, because it's obviously not a 50 dollar system, and if the company is that lax on the rc support they may reach a point where they aren't even providing warranty services even if the thing totally breaks.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is so true. The Sensor, when it first came out, was $500 USD. Probably about $300-350 today. The React is much more affordable, the cheapest I have seen is $250 on fleabay, most likely a fleabay rogue who got them illegally and is selling them cheaply to undercut the competition.

For the price, I think they are well worth it for the features they give. But customer service and support aside, I do not like the cheap chinese quality cases. In the Radio and Electronics Forum, many have had problems with the buttons, the trigger return springs, and even the LCD display covers coming loose, breaking, etc. Worse, the one Nomandio support fellow who was a memeber here in RCU, bashed on these guys and more or less told them to sit on it and not complain because the radio was a great system. Yes, it is a great radio set, but the cases are full of faults. And what angered me even more is the Nomandio rep bashing on customers who have legtimate concerns about the case quality. The attitude of this rep was such that they should never complain about the radio simply because it is a Nomadio. He basically said they HAVE to be happy with the radio even with the case falling apart around it and that they have no excuse to complain at all. I'm sorry, but if the flimsy buttons fail becuase the plastic is too weak or is poorly designed such that you cannot access and use the menus, what use are all those features? As for the triggers sticking, I'm sorry, telemetry is NOT going to stop that run-away RC.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
86waterpumper

I'm not sure where they got the cases, but I was told the react radios just use the old multiplex cases? If that is the case, then they probably just bought a huge lot of them and really have no clue about how to go about fixing their issues etc haha. Still they should be able to replace the case or swap the customer's internals into another one. So I take it they do not warranty these sticking triggers and breaking case issues? I have heard alot of people diss the new specktrums because of case and roller button quality too. I tell you what, futaba pretty much has the case quality thing all wrapped up, at least on the 3pm and higher models. I just got done reading on the main nomadio support forum. It seems that alot of people have given up on them. This holds true especially over in the u.k. where I guess some shops and places have been waiting on replacement rx's for several months. This is crap who wants to be without their parts for that long. Some support guy always gets on there and says they aren't going anywhere and things are only slowing production because of the war etc etc, but most of the hobby shops not carrying any stock tells the tale to me. You are right the communication is cool, but it isnt going to stop a true run away situation. For whatever it's worth I've heard tons more people with nomadios and spektrums both having runaways than people with futabas and airtronics etc. To me, both the cost and size of the model dictates how important a runaway is. With a 20 something pound 1/5 scale baja I'm not about to buy a radio that has known issues with that...
Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Mr. Mugen

I mihgt as well pipe in. I have had me sensor for over 2 years now and wouldn't trade it for 100 spektrums. I will probably have it well beyond the companies r/c interest. I boguth spare parts for it when I could and will continue to use it in all my favortie cars/trucks. Latency has never been an issue with this radio like the spektrums I;ve had. Hoping they still make an effort to keep their few customers happy with upgrades to software and maybe building a few trascievers each year.

Kevin
Old 01-16-2009, 03:39 PM
cenracer1

I still don't see what the problems people were having with the react.. I have one for the last year or so and have no issues.. I like it so much that I am looking at ebay for a few more transceivers... I just purchased 3 spektrum RX just in case I don't get the react transcievers..
As far as poor case design, what is the problem there, Mine is fine, its not fragile by any means and the battery cover only falls off when I don't click it in properly.. Recently the radio was hit by a runaway T-maxx and launched about 15 feet into a wood chip pile... guess what, not even a scratch.. .I wish it had a backlight, but thats about it.. very easy to use and layout is fine..
My friend has the react system also and a few months ago had a problem with his Radio... He sent it back to Nomadio for repair, but after reading that they won't fix anything, went out an purchased another React radio... Guess what, He got the original one back within a few weeks all fixed up and works great.. I guess they were in a giving mood that day? From my experience and from friends who run the same system, I've heard of very little problems with the system... sure transceivers are hard to come by, but they can be had and if you can't wait, you can use the spektrum RX, it binds fine in Beta mode...
Old 01-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Spiro

Yeah. This is much more in line with my experiences. Zero problems, fantastic performance, totally satisfied customer. The receivers ARE hard to come by if you want extra ones. I have purchased 2 used ones off ebay and even these have worked fine with no problems. I have no case related issues with either of the two React radios I own. All buttons, switches, display, wheel, trigger, everything works great and don't appear to be extra delicate or anything.

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Old 03-25-2009, 03:00 PM
nitroexpress

When it works, I love it. Transmitter went to 1/2 power at 6 months. One receiver died with about 4 months on it. I used the temp sensor on two vehicles, but they were so inaccurate that I disconnected them. Tried mounting in different positions, but temp always reads low, about 45 degrees. A known fault is battery drain with the transimitter off. So pulling the battery plug time after time wears out the door and it shortly needs to be taped on. I don't know how their customer service is now, but in the beginning it was great with me. Seems they have disappeared their company forum. Too bad, it was interesting. Hope they stick around. Like I said, when it works, I love it.