Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

E-Firestorm 10T Flux

Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Firestorm 10T Flux

Hello all, hows it going.

I just got back into RC recently ( found a little time lately ). My wife bought me a E-Firestorm Flux which comes with the brushless system. All in all it's a nice setup, but I was having a little trouble with it. I had purchased a couple of NimH 4500's from All-Battery.com. These were really for my daughters' RC car and they worked great. She really doesn't understand the charging proceedures, so I charge them with my Novak Ionic for her. She just has a Tamiya entry level car. So, their was no reason to purchase expensive battery packs for her to use.

Anyhow, back to my problem. Since I really didn't have any battery packs around for my new Firestorm ( just about everything I have is Nitro Powered ), I tried her Battery packs. These packs are only a couple of months old. The first atttempt was not as fun as I would have thought. I got it to run, but it jumped and bucked like the ESC was turning on and off. I wasn't sure if it was the radio or not, so I installed a Spektrum radio and ended up with the same results. Tried another battery pack fully charged and still get the same issue. I had two spare packs of the 4500's downstairs, so I dis-assembled them and soldered together a nice 7 cell with gold battery bars and gave it a good charge. I still get the same problem. I can ease up the throttle and it will take off ok, but if I nail it from a stand still, it jumps and jitters and you can hear the ESC kicking in and out. Needless to say I was getting a might bit upset with things.

I almost called HPI to get an RMA or some assistance with this issue, but I began to think about it for a while. After about a day I took a shot in the dark. I had an un-assembled 7 cell package in my basement of Sanyo Nicd's 1700's. I put them together and gave them a good charge and wouldn't you know it, that thing took off like a bat out of hell. I couldn't believe it.....how could these 15 year old 1700 nicd's out perform a new 4500 NimH? The only thing I can think is that the 4500's have too much internal resistance and is preventing the motor from getting the required current to run correctly.

I'd like some input before I spend a lot more money and get some better cells from Tower. I'm hoping that this is the issue, but I don't want to spend more then $100 on 2 packs to find out they too won't work.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: E-Firestorm 10T Flux

Did you program the esc? sometimes if the LVC (low voltage cuttoff) is left on when your using nimhs it will cut out as they drop below the cutoff point under heavy load....Anyhow check to see if its on and if it is turn it off.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:26 AM

The only two ways I've seen to program is to either set it up as LiPo or Nicd/Nimh. I've re-programed about 6 times now so it is set up to not use the LiPo option. I don't see an option to turn off LVC.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 01-16-2009, 03:34 PM

You may need to get a castle link to see what's going on. I have the same car and it ran good on a 3000mah NiMH and really good on a 7 cell 4500mah NiMH and freakin' awesome with my new 5000mah lipos.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:09 PM

Which battery packs are you using? [link]http://www.all-battery.com/84v4500mahhumpnimhhighpower40adrainratebatterypack swithtamiyaconnectorforrccars.aspx[/link]These are the one's I'm using right now that are giving me such trouble ( the ones I have are 6 cell and one 7 cell which all have Deans connectors on them). I just think they can't handle the drain rate that the Brushless Motor/ESC are requiring. The fact that a 1700 7 cell NiCD makes the truck run great, but not for long, is saying something.

Patrick
Old 01-16-2009, 10:38 PM

After thinking about it, I think you are on the right track. It's cogging with those other batteries because they can't handle the drain from the motor. You need to turn your start power to low and your motor timing to low. You should be able to do that with the transmitter using the directions that came with the kit. You local LHS may let you use their castle link at the store if they are cool. With the link, you can adjust the throttle curve to draw less power initially as well. If not, it's $25 WELL spent.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 PM

I think I'd rather just get better batteries instead, although I might still invest in the Castle link. These batteries have a Max of 40A drain rate and in the grand sceem of things, 40 amps is not alot. Good enough for my Daughters RC, but not for me.

Patrick
Old 01-16-2009, 11:49 PM

Dude, we have the same first name and the same truck. My wife got me mine too. Weird....Check out http://www.ultralinehobbies.com/inde...=707&parent=56 and http://www.spcracing.com/ .You will never be the same again.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 PM

I am not new to RC, but Lipo's give me cause to pause on their purchase. I'm very familiar with Nicd's and NiMH's, but from what I've read about Lipo's, they concern me a bit. I've been in RC since 1986, but Lipo's are the first ones I've seen with so many warnings about fire and what not. Also, they warn about not dis-charging below 3v per cell....given that they are only 3.7v/cell to begin with, wouldn't the heavy drain of a Brushless motor or even a hot brushed motor produce a voltage drop below this threshold?

I consider myself somewhat advanced when it comes to RC....heance the diagnosis steps I took to figure out that the batteries I was using more then likely have too much internal resistance to supply the required current. Now, that being said, since I was out of it for a while, this was my first experience with a Brushless setup or Lipo batteries. One of the reasons I switched to Nitro was of their raw power and run times, but since brushless has gone main stream and the NiMH batteries have increased greatly in capacity, I'm thinking of switching back.......but not completely though......I do love my Savage, Rush, MT Racer and Super Nitro Rally. My Titan is on ebay right now. I really like the looks of the new E-Savage Flux. I gave my Baja Bug (Hpi EMT) to my daughter. I have about 5 extra Novak Rooster's incase she messes it up plus a bunch of other parts I'd need to fix it if she breaks it. Not to mention about 10 extra AM Radios sitting around. I try to stick with either FM or Spektrum's for my vehicles.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Actully lipos usually charge to 4.2v per cell. With a 5000mah lipo, I get a good half hour of run-time with my flux. The lipos give off more power for a longer duration. I did a couple of months of research before committing to them. Your Firestorm has an auto lipo cut-off function that will shut the car down before any damage to the battery occurs.

After doing the research and watching a bunch of llipo fires on you-tube, it is fairly safe to use them as long you use common sense. Charge them in a lipo sack and store them in one too.

The difference in performance is well worth the extra safety precautions.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the input

Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM

I'm having the same problem with the flux... I know the answer here was to just suck it up and get LiPo batteries... and thats ultimately whats going to happen with me as well I think... but until the money is available, I'd like to know there was a fix to the problem. I've tried re-programing (not with Castle Link) the ESC a couple times, and it seems to work for the first 10 minutes or so... but as soon as the battery is a little drained, it starts jerking again. I'm new to Electric RC, I've only been involved through my dad and brother who both have E-Savages and 1 E-Maxx. its making me think I need to stay with Nitro!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:42 PM

I barely see the problem anymore. I purchased 2 nice packs from cheapbatterypacks.com and they work great. I got the elite 5000 with the upgrades. Now I don't have to go Lipo right now. However, when I get my Savage Flux I will have to go with Lipo's. The Savage Flux will ruin the Nimh batteries.

Patrick
Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 AM

Well... if new packs are the way to go, I might as well go straight to LiPo. I got a super nice charger that has built in balancer, I'm just a little disappointed I guess. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Hey, I have the savage flux as well, and I use some expensive good quality duratrax nimh batteries, 4200. I know what your talking about, with the jitter and all that, but I know for me it only happens at a distance away. This is caused by interference from the brushless motor and batteries, lipo batteries dont cause interference at all, while nimh do. When you do the throttle slowly, it causes less interference because the motor is at a lower rpm, and the batteries are hardly putting out. but as far as ruining the batteries or the truck, nothing will happen. I say this with experience as I have put the batteries through the truck 10 times with a run time at full speed of 20 minutes and low speed almost up to an hour.

Anthony
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 AM

Has the same problem w/ NiMH. Brought 4000 MaxAmps and it went away. It is money well spent. The availabilty of power (low internal resistance) makes all the difference. Good Luck!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 AM

Would you mind sending me the link? I really need some more powerful batteries, nimh is fine and all, but I'm getting a bit bored.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 PM

Here are the ones I got.
http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=25

I have heard really good things about "Zippy" LiPo packs and pretty good feedback about Yeah Racing packs @ RC Mart (way cheap). I will try these when I need more.
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/yeah-racing-m-47.html

Whatever brand you buy, I suggest buying a matching charger from that manufacturer. LiPos require balancing so cells stay evenly charge, thereby preventing overcharging of a single cell. There are MANY balancing tabs (plugs) so compatibility could be a concern. I didn't do that. I use 2 Astroflight Blinkies, 1 for each of my duratrax ice chargers. It works pretty well with a variety of batteries and some plugs can be rewired to work with the blinky.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMRZ9&P=ML
Old 01-01-2010, 09:05 AM

do 3s 11.1 v lipos work with the hpi e-firestorm brushless
ORIGINAL: pt121

Which battery packs are you using? [link]http://www.all-battery.com/84v4500mahhumpnimhhighpower40adrainratebatterypack swithtamiyaconnectorforrccars.aspx[/link]These are the one's I'm using right now that are giving me such trouble ( the ones I have are 6 cell and one 7 cell which all have Deans connectors on them). I just think they can't handle the drain rate that the Brushless Motor/ESC are requiring. The fact that a 1700 7 cell NiCD makes the truck run great, but not for long, is saying something.

Patrick
Old 01-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do 3s 11.1 v lipos work with the hpi e-firestorm brushless
The firestorm flux is only rated for 2s, Stop by the firestorm thread for any info or help