Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

i heard VW had some issues!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default i heard VW had some issues!

so, the owner of my LHS said that VW threatend to sue Losi because of their vw bug line. so, Losi will stop making the micro and mini bugs!

this could just be hear-say, but i can see how it could be true.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Foxy

Default RE: i heard VW had some issues!

Exactly the same thing happened to FG. VW sued them and they ceased production of the beetle body and could no longer sell the iconic FG Monster Beetle Pro. For a short time, the bodies became very scarce and highly sought after. After a year or so, they worked it out and production resumed. Here's a pic of mine (MB Pro 1/5th 26cc) just for giggles...

Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Sugafree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8098574
Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

darn, i thought i might be the 1st to post this info!

it seems silly to me. why should VW care? its not like they make the old beatle today.
if anything, having cool VW bug bodies on RC cars is like free advertizing. VW should pay Losi!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Access

Ultimately both parties end up losing, that's just life. It's more of a territorial issue than anything else, one party thinks they 'own' something and therefore have to defend it. In the past, that thing was typically land, but today it can be just about anything.

If you look at the pro-line page now pro-line claims to have officially licensed the VW bug body
http://www.prolineracing.com/p-658-vw-baja.aspx
Sometimes what happens is one company gets an 'exclusive license' (in this case, an exclusive license for RC bodies) and this may oblidge the licensor to threaten anyone else using the body.

It's happened before in the hobby with look-alike aircraft like the 747 models and Boeing, etc. In some countries (ie. US but not Japan), trademark law also obliges the bearer to go after any unauthorized user or risk the trademark falling into the public domain. But whether a body shape for RC cars relates to trademark for real cars is a very debatable thing, Losi might have just backed off for not wanting to litigate as that can be very expensive.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:43 PM
nitrozach54
Banned

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: nitrozach54

This is getting a bit old. Ya use the search button but thats not what these forums are about. The forums are here for getting information whether its been posted about or not. Might as well make up a new thread than bring up an old one from a million years ago.