Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Has anyone built a swamp buggy?

Old 06-12-2003, 12:59 AM
jeepgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone built a swamp buggy?

I was thinking of building a swamp buggy, the kind they race around in shallow ponds. Something to drive around after or during a rainstorm. Nitro power of course, 2 or 4 wheel drive. Has anyone ever done this? Any ideas?

thanks
Mike
Old 06-13-2003, 12:21 AM
matt2
My Feedback: (1)

no ive never heard of this but it sounds like a good idea. i think that it would be stronger and funner to have fwd. make it a little taller off the ground so you can go into deeper waters.

its a good idea
Old 06-13-2003, 01:55 AM
[email protected]

do you want it to float? i'd be awesome to get some air filled tires, and put like helium in them, lol
Old 06-13-2003, 07:29 AM
Kridifur

Here's a Swamp Buggy site:
Swamp Buggy Pics
For those that don't know what a Swamp Buggy is.
I used to love watching those on TV (must be a Southern Thing).
Old 06-13-2003, 09:37 PM
jeepgt

I used to watch them on TNN, I thought they were so cool, I haven't seen them for a while.
They have tall skinny tractor tires on them, the body is kinda like a boat. The front end has skis on it, so when it gets deep you want the rear to sink to the bottom for traction and the front end is supposed to ride on the skis and steer with the skinny front wheels like a rudder. 4wd would be the way to go. Lockers front and rear, Way low gears, totally waterproof, tall intake and exhaust stacks. I can almost see it! Anyone have a wrecked 1\8 buggy or T-Maxx that you don't want????
Old 06-13-2003, 10:00 PM
jeepgt

Kool site Kridifur, That's what I'm talkin 'bout!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 11:05 PM
shadowedkilla

well the custom make the tires by taking something like a piece of round steel and sanwitch a normal tractor tire in between it so i would assume you could prolly use stock tires and just make custom rims and put them on what ever car you would want to use as your main chasis, then just water proof the whole inside.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:47 AM
jeepgt

I think the first one will be 2wd since I already have an old rc10gt tub chassis. I will probably lengthen it first, which looks simple enough. The chassis is two pieces. The nose piece which mounts the front suspension is separate. I could use the stock A arms, trans, and cvd's. The wheels will be the hard part. Either custom like Shadow said or..........toy tractor.......flea market?????