Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Engine Dies with even the slightest blip of throttle

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Engine Dies with even the slightest blip of throttle

Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 PM
supastar1568

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Dies with even the slightest blip of throttle

hey all,

Just getting into the hobby and was able to get my truck started for the first time today (RT-X27). The vehicle idles fine, but with even the slightest blip of throttle it instantly shuts off. When it shuts off, it doesn't bog or anything, just makes a weird springy noise and shuts down fast. Any ideas, my guess would be the low speed needle needs to be rich'd a little bit. Tried searching a bit, and this seems to be the majority of answers.

Clutch spring or anything a possibility?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:25 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Engine Dies with even the slightest blip of throttle

Are the needles set at the factory recommended location?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:27 PM
DaveG55

New engine, new truck? Or used and just new to you. Do you know where the carb needles are set?

Just off hand, with the little info you have given I'd say reset the carb to factory settings and tune from there.

That's assuming that it's not a brand new engine. If it is brand new then make sure the carb is at the factory settings - it' possible that they have been bumped so check them. If they are at the factory settings and you still have the same problem then lean the HSN 1/4 turn and the LSN 1/8 turn and try again.

If none of that applies then give us some more information so we can get a better idea of what's going on.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:12 PM
supastar1568

yeah, both are at factory settings. The truck is brand new and this would be my first actual tank with it.

I can get it to idle, but any throttle whatsoever causes the engine to instantly die.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 AM
yoster

This is because the stock settings are very rich. Go ahead and let the truck idle through it's first tank. On the second, start to slowly lean out the high-speed needle. Do not do any adjustments to the low speed until after your break-in.

It's completely normal for a truck to shut off under any throttle when it's not warmed up and running rich.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 AM
08hondacivicsi

yea do what yoster said. but make sure u break it in befor u go out and give it hell. if you dont break it in right. you will have more problems down the road.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:09 AM
dacaur

What is the temperature where you are trying to start it? It could just be too cold. I had the exact same problem with my XXL when i was trying to break it in in 35 F weather. If its under 50F you should have the head wrapped partaly in foil for the break in. On a new engine especialy, you will want to warm it up for about 3-5 min with a blow dryer on high heat before you try to start it.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:10 AM
supastar1568

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, the temps are around 45 degrees outside. I will let it idle throught its first tank, good suggestion and thank you.

Will get back later.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: yoster

This is because the stock settings are very rich. Go ahead and let the truck idle through it's first tank. On the second, start to slowly lean out the high-speed needle. Do not do any adjustments to the low speed until after your break-in.

It's completely normal for a truck to shut off under any throttle when it's not warmed up and running rich.

It's also ok to adjust the LSN a bit as that's where it will be loading up at. When my new engines are doing that I'll tweak both just a bit and it almost always helps.
And as dacaur said, preheating the engine will make it much easier to start.

Also, after it has been runa nd warms up be sure to put the piston at BDC so the engine can cool w/o siezing onto the piston.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 AM
yoster

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

ORIGINAL: yoster

It's also ok to adjust the LSN a bit as that's where it will be loading up at. When my new engines are doing that I'll tweak both just a bit and it almost always helps.
And as dacaur said, preheating the engine will make it much easier to start.

Also, after it has been runa nd warms up be sure to put the piston at BDC so the engine can cool w/o siezing onto the piston.

This is true, but I usually don't recommend adjusting the LSN first to anyone new to RC. They usually have their hands full just getting the HSN figured out. The truck should run well enough for now with the LSN in stock form; the HSN will effectively lean out the LSN once he begins the tuning and break-in process.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 AM
supastar1568

ok, i am trying it now, with the needles at factory settings. The engine dies after about 15 seconds of idling. If I pinch the fuel cable, I can get it to run a bit longer.

Which adjustments should I make to keep it idling longer than 15 seconds. I just dont wanna do anything risky, so I'll wait for a response. By wait, I mean break in my girlfriends as hers can get moving.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM
DaveG55

By pinching the fuel line you are effectively leaning the engine out. So, as several have said, lean the hsn - no more than 1/4 of a turn the first adjustment. If it helps but still dies when blipping the throttle you can lean out the LSN 1/8 turn. You can tweak both another step if needed. You just want to do the minimum amount of leaning you can until you get through the break-in process.

I know that you don't have a Traxxas vehicle but this is a decent factory break-in process and may help you out. There's a lot of good information in tis link and a whole, whole lot of it is generic for any nitro engine.

http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...l&cat=0&id=276
Old 03-22-2009, 04:07 PM
supastar1568

Thanks for the posts, that was indeed the problem. I was able to get it going at factory settings, just had to slowly push the throttle until it got moving. I made it through 2 tanks of my break in, however the starter spring broke, so I have to order a new one. I have taken the engine apart a few times, so this is not a problem at all.

My only question is, is it OK to have the car resting for a few days between break in tanks? As much as I would have rather done it in one day, I cannot as I need a new part. Just want to be sure I will be OK doing tanks 3-5 maybe next weekend.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:17 PM
DaveG55

Yes, perfectly ok. Just take up where you left off.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:07 PM
supastar1568

Awesome, thank you all of the help and tips on the adjustments, certainly the reason the car can now move. Looking forward to finishing up the break in.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:57 PM
[email protected]

if you broke the spring for the starter you r pulling the starter out to far. you should only have to pull on the start about 5-6 inches if u go farther then that you are pulling to hard.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 PM
dacaur

Just make sure the piston is not at the top of its travel. just rotate the flywheel by hand till you feel resistance, then rotate it the other way till you feel resistance, then rotate back to the middle of the two spots where you felt resistance, and that's BDC....
Old 03-22-2009, 06:35 PM
supastar1568

yeah, i marked BDC on the flywheel.

Also, I do not have a pull starter, I have this stupid Kwik-Pit thing which I dont even use. I just use a drill instead.

I ordered a pull start though.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: supastar1568

yeah, i marked BDC on the flywheel.

Also, I do not have a pull starter, I have this stupid Kwik-Pit thing which I dont even use. I just use a drill instead.

I ordered a pull start though.
dont depend on the mark... the flywheel can move....
Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 PM
DaveG55

What "starter spring" is there to break on the Kwik Pit?
If your tuning skills are not pretty good you will end up hating pull starts. They can be quite frustrating and cause some nasty blisters.

In any case, Good Luck and let us know how everything goes.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 PM
supastar1568

The spring itself is not in the Kwik-Start, it is the start shaft spring that pushes the start shaft pin into the recess on the start shaft. The Kwik Start was no longer spinning the flywheel so I took it apart and saw the spring in three pieces.

The reason I'm not liking the Kwik Start is that the battery I use with it dies after about 10 attempts (only 1500mA). Then it requires 2-3 hours of charging time, which is why I prefer the electrical drill. But if I'm ever out in a parking lot, or camping and not in my driveway, a drill may not be accessible. Therefore, I was going to give the pull start a chance (can always go back if I don't like it). I just see it as one less thing to carry.

Also, one this I forgot to mention before is that you all were correct with the lean factory settings. When it finally turned over it was spraying the fuel out of the exhaust in large amounts. Probably equivalent to the amount of spray that comes out in a Windex bottle.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 AM
derrick05

Pullstart is the way to goa lot less hastle and I can already tell youre smart enough to figure it out.Just remember not to pull more than 8in.Once you learn how,change the pullcord to braided Brickmasons line and that pullstarter will outlast any kind of drillstarter
Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
yoster

Personally, I would stick with the Kwik-Start. Get yourself a larger capacity battery (3000+) along with a charger that can charge at a 1c rate (in that case, 3 amps - It will 100% charge in 1 hour). I use to use nothing but pull-starts and have since converted everything to either bump-starting or through the use of a roto-start (kwik-start) system, and I'll never go back.

I had the same problem with my smaller capacity battery in my roto-start. Just step up the battery and all those problems will go away.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 PM
dacaur

I dont even see the need to get a higher capacity battery... once you get it broken in and tuned, it will start up within a couple seconds every time... I killed an 1800mah pack a couple times breaking in my XXL (because it was so cold), but now it starts almost instantly every time.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
supastar1568

ORIGINAL: dacaur

I dont even see the need to get a higher capacity battery... once you get it broken in and tuned, it will start up within a couple seconds every time... I killed an 1800mah pack a couple times breaking in my XXL (because it was so cold), but now it starts almost instantly every time.
Yeah, I was hoping and thinking along the same lines. Right now, it still takes at least 5-10 3 second bursts to get going.