Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Born-again beginner car?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 AM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Born-again beginner car?

Over last summer i bought my first nitro rc car (1/10 exceed forza buggy) but i had a lot of problems with it and that kinda made me loose intrest. But now i kinda want to get back into racing again. Is there any car/brand that you recommend me look up? I liked the 1/10 buggy, but a different size or type would be fine if there is a good one. my price range is about 200-250.

Also, could I get some info about rebuilding engines? I'm clueless, so anthing on it would help.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Born-again beginner car?

Well it depends. You gotta give us a little more info. You wanting a off road or on road? Buggy, monster truck, truggy, stadium truck, or touring car? There's many vehicles types out there, you first have to decide what type you want.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Chris_RC

Hmm....you live in Ventura CA. Look up the ventura county roadrunners, [link]http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/81841-racing-ventura-county-roadrunners.html[/link]. Also see how far Bakersfield (racers heaven), ontario (revelation), temecula (arc), and beaumont (thunder alley) are from you.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:08 PM
evader8

an evader st would be great, (and DONT listin to the bashers of duratrax, just cuse it dosent say traxxas.)
Old 03-24-2009, 06:19 PM
GlassBullet

Sorry for the fist post being so vague, I was in a rush.

So if I do get another car in the future, I would probably want to get an off-road 1/10 scale buggy. Although, other recommendation are welcome. I want to get a nitro engine car, not an electric. Any suggestions for makes/models of 1/10 buggies (or other kinds) would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I want to know more about rebuilding engines. Like how often it must be down, what must be down, and maybe the price.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
yoster

First of all, I own a Nitro Evader, and you do not want a nitro evader. I will argue this to my deathbed with any current Nitro Evader owner; there are countless better trucks out there for the price.

If you want to get into racing, you'll want to stay out of 1/10 scale buggy, just because that segment is basically empty. Also steer clear from 2wd Stadium Trucks; those are a dying breed. I would lean towards your 1/8 scale Buggy, Truggy, or any scale Monster Truck (if you want to Bash).

Current deals are the Duratrax Raze ST and Raze Buggy; both on sale for $199.99. The Raze series has a very strong reputation both for durability and performance. You'll want to eventually ditch the engine that comes with it, but it's a good starting point.

For your Monster Truck class, you can get yourself a an Associated Mini MGT for about $250. Good little 4wd basher.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:52 PM
GlassBullet

i also am interested in a truggy/stadium truck (are they the same thing?). But i still want to stick with the 1/10 scale. i don't want to get into any real racing and i just like the convenience and size alot more
Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
evader8

2wd stadium truck a dying breed, your kidding right.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:55 PM
evader8

ORIGINAL: GlassBullet

i also am interested in a truggy/stadium truck (are they the same thing?). But i still want to stick with the 1/10 scale. i don't want to get into any real racing and i just like the convenience and size alot more
there is not really a 1/10 truggy. the truggy is more durable and bigger (1/8). i for one like the look of truggy's but the affortablility of 1/10 is alot better. you dont have to break the bank to run. I know nitro is alot more expensive but i personally dont own a nitro.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: corygrenzy

Yea gas truck is dying! ROAR has dropped the 10th gas truck class and barely any tracks race them anymore. Where have you been?

1/8 scale is normally better quality if you get the right stuff and way more durable.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:08 PM
evader8

i dont race, so really what do i know[]. but yes i would go with 1/8 with the durability, but then comes along the big price tag imo.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: GlassBullet

Definitely, dont go with 10th scale off-road. As everyone already said before me, it is a dead class.

8th scale is the way to go, buggy or truggy. If you want a really great buggy or truggy, look at the Mugen MBX-5 (buggy version) and the MBX-5T (truggy). The reason why I mention the -5 instead of the -6 is because the -6 will cost MUCHO bucks where the -5 is being sold much cheaper than it used to be. (Everyone wants the -6 and are either selling off their -5's and the retailers are trying to move their existing stock of -5's to make room for the -6).

For a MBX-5T kit, I have heard of guys being able to socre one for as little as $250. (Of course, you haev to supply an engine and radio gear and servos, but considering the -5 used to cost like just under $600 at one time, $250 for the kit is great, still much less than teh newer -6).
Moreover, being Mugen, you will define see the difference between HSP and Mugen (Mugen being race grade where HSP, like Exceeds, are only cheap cheap beginner RCs).

Dont let your poor experience with Exceed ruin your RC experience, Exceed has to be the poorest HSP reseller (Even Himoto and Redcat will tell you this). If you dont believe me, look at the Exceed forum here in RCU and you can see that. The one good Exceed guy who actually helped the customers has gone AWOL (terrible, really, he probably was the best thing to happen to Exceed).
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_69..._8/key_/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8563001/tm.htm
Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 PM
yoster

ORIGINAL: corygrenzy

No, I am completely serious! Look around! The manufactures themselves have even been quoted saying this. You can read it in RC magazines, and you can walk out to any track and see it. An editor from RCX just wrote about his comments about this. Not that his or my opinion is the end-all, but I have to agree with his comments there. The tracks are now fiilled with buggies and truggies, and now these CORR vehicles.

Sure you have a few new ones popping up now and again: The Nitro Firestorm and the RC10GT2 to name two, but other than those, what kind of innovation have you seen in that class? I see new innovation on a daily basis with the new buggy and truggy releases, but there simlpy isn't any R&D goig into the new stadium trucks, mostly because no one is creating new ones anymore! I don't know the metrics, but it seems like you get 10-15 new monster trucks, buggies, etc for ever single new 1/10th scale ST that comes out. Also, with prices the way they are now, why would someone get one? A Nitro Evader, firestorm, RC10GT2, etc goes for 220-250 online. You can get a decent Truggy (ST-1 or a Raze) or Monster truck (Mini MGT or RT-X 27) for that price.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:34 PM
The Hedgehog

It's true, hard to find anywhere that even races gas trucks (nitro 2wd) anymore.