Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

just bought my first RC. rebuilding it already:)

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

just bought my first RC. rebuilding it already:)

Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 PM
kawasaki_kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought my first RC. rebuilding it already:)

i bought my first RC last week. Two of my co-workers are into RCs, after watching them mess around with theres, and getting to drive i little bit, i decided i needed one of my own. i set out to buy a used one, wanted to get into it cheap incase its not my thing. After a couple weeks i found a truck, went and picked it up.

I bought a HSP Tyrannosaurus 4X4 truck, with a .18VX. i realize this truck is a low entry level truck, but i was a cheap start into the sport. i bought the truck broken, ( i find things are cheaper if you buy them broken:P, i have done it with snowmobiles and dirtbikes, and it has worked out well, why not with a RC.) The recoil rope with recoiled into the motor, and the muffler had a extra hole in it. fixed the recoil in about half an hour(after rewinding the spring a few too many times), i swapped the muffle for a used one i bought off of one of my buddies(off a HPI 3.0), and had the truck running by the end of the night.

Half a tank later i had stripped one of my trans(plastic) gears. oh well upgrade to metal i figured. the next day the first thing i am told as soon as i walk into the local hobby shop is. "we cant get any parts for that, its a cheap internet knock off, you should have spent the moneybought a real RTR from us." After some discussion i walk outta the RC shop pissed off, taking with me only the advice "get rid of that and buy a real RC". Now im pissed because i think im stuck with a broken down RC, that i cant get parts for.

I turned to the trusty internet, found this site, and found vancouverhobbies.com. found the parts i wanted, should be here by friday. HARAY!

now, on the the rebuild part. something tells me a tune pipe for a 3.0 on a 1.8 isnt a good idea? is this true? let me know what you gusy think.

here's a few pics of the new toy, after the pipe swap.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23697.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1165655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61249.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1165656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31009.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1165657  
Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: just bought my first RC. rebuilding it already:)

Yep thats cheap all right. How much did you pay for it?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 PM
kawasaki_kid

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Yep thats cheap all right. How much did you pay for it?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR VALUABLE INPUT...

$100CAD
Old 03-25-2009, 12:52 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flames are kinda cool....Hey dont let them get to you I have a knock off TL01 truck that has been good to me...just have to be handy with the knock offs....cheers
Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Spetz

Your engine is a .18ci engine which is 3cc, so I assume this means the pipe is good to use

Have fun!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Airbus 9e

The key to RC is...

Learn Stuff

Have Fun

Decide if it's for you....

Once you decide it's a hobby you like and want to pursue, then you can go spend more money....I would have reccomended a different first truck, but it sounds like you'll be having fun with this one for a while...

I would suggest the Associated Monster GT 3.0....it's only about $220 on Tower recently.....The thing is, by the time you get your $100 trucl all fixed up, you'll likely have spent what you would have buying a new one....but you'll get to learn how to take apart your truck and fix it up this way....I'm not at all familiar with the truck you have, so I'll just have to take your word for it.....Have fun.....
Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 AM
kawasaki_kid

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

The flames are kinda cool....Hey dont let them get to you I have a knock off TL01 truck that has been good to me...just have to be handy with the knock offs....cheers
18cxp=3cc? so is it even worth the $50 to upgrade to a HPI 3cc?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Your best bet is to go to the Hsp forum on here. Hsp is the same as Redcat, Exceed, and Himoto. There's nothing wrong with them, as long as your willing to put a little time into them to get them up to par. I have a Redcat and it's been real good to me. As far as the pipe, really it's up to you. I wouldn't personally put a $50 pipe on it, but if that's what you want to do then do it. These trucks are great for people who want to get into the hobby and learn how to work on them. They aren't that complicated to figure out. Oh, by the way, there's nothing wrong with the plastic spur gear you stripped out. It just means your gear mesh wasn't set right. I have plastic gears on mine, and I haven't stripped one in 4 or 5 months, and mines a 2 speed. Neither gear has stripped.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Spetz

Stick with the motor you have now
Upgrade later if you need to
Old 03-25-2009, 12:17 PM
breezerboat

OK. That thing is almost the exact same as my first RC. Mine was a cheap Redcat. The way yours is put together almost matches mine completely. I had a lot of fun with my first one for about 1/3 gallon of fuel. Then things started to break, I fixed a few things and learned a lot. I also had the exact same comments from my Local Hobby Shop. Pissed me off too. They even had the nerve to say you can't get a good truck for under $400. I was like "Fark!! I can't spend that much money." I then did a little research and found myself buying a Associated MGT 3.0 for a bit over $200. The thing is awesome, I've put over a gallon through it and nothing has broken yet. It runs like a champ and I crash it A LOT. I would suggest getting a little better truck. It's not a bad idea to buy a brand that the LHS carries.

I now have my cheap Redcat working, but I don't drive it ever b/c I don't want to have to fix it again. It just makes my workbench look cooler.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:09 PM
wht92lude

Welcome to the hobby, and don't get discouraged as things will break. I don't care what brand it is, from losi to traxxas, they all break eventually. I personally don't have any experience with redcat, himoto, or HSP, but I have heard that for the money you really can't beat them. There is a forum for these vehicles on here where alot of information can be found. Better to start off with this and learn the ropes rather than buying say a Revo and breaking more expensive parts. I am by no means saying a revo is junk, or expensive to repair, just an example. Good luck, and have fun with it .
Old 03-25-2009, 07:12 PM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: kawasaki_kid

i bought my first RC last week. Two of my co-workers are into RCs, after watching them mess around with theres, and getting to drive i little bit, i decided i needed one of my own. i set out to buy a used one, wanted to get into it cheap incase its not my thing. After a couple weeks i found a truck, went and picked it up.

I bought a HSP Tyrannosaurus 4X4 truck, with a .18VX. i realize this truck is a low entry level truck, but i was a cheap start into the sport. i bought the truck broken, ( i find things are cheaper if you buy them broken:P, i have done it with snowmobiles and dirtbikes, and it has worked out well, why not with a RC.) The recoil rope with recoiled into the motor, and the muffler had a extra hole in it. fixed the recoil in about half an hour(after rewinding the spring a few too many times), i swapped the muffle for a used one i bought off of one of my buddies(off a HPI 3.0), and had the truck running by the end of the night.

Half a tank later i had stripped one of my trans(plastic) gears. oh well upgrade to metal i figured. the next day the first thing i am told as soon as i walk into the local hobby shop is. "we cant get any parts for that, its a cheap internet knock off, you should have spent the moneybought a real RTR from us." After some discussion i walk outta the RC shop pissed off, taking with me only the advice "get rid of that and buy a real RC". Now im pissed because i think im stuck with a broken down RC, that i cant get parts for.

I turned to the trusty internet, found this site, and found vancouverhobbies.com. found the parts i wanted, should be here by friday. HARAY!

now, on the the rebuild part. something tells me a tune pipe for a 3.0 on a 1.8 isnt a good idea? is this true? let me know what you gusy think.

here's a few pics of the new toy, after the pipe swap.

I had the exact same truck a few years backbought it new for $200.00.The engine wasnt THAT bad but not great either.Its the EXACT same engine CEN uses in the Magnum NX and MT Spec3.0[8D] other than the engine,the truck was garbage.I mean absolute,pure garbage[>:]You will NEVER get a gallon out of one of those,new or used without breakage.Durability wise,that is the worse RC I have ever owned.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:43 PM
kawasaki_kid

ORIGINAL: Brett185
...As far as the pipe, really it's up to you. I wouldn't personally put a $50 pipe on it, but if that's what you want to do then do it....
I meant that i am paying $50 for the HPI 3.0 pipe, motor, starter, and air cleaner. not just the pipe. Good deal?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Oh, my bad....heck yeah that's a good deal, as long as the motor is in good running order.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
mazpr

What scale is that?

So, you can really get metal gears for it? I ask because I had the biggest disappointment wit the Chaos POS, its in my shelf gathering dust after barely a weekend of bashing.

The truck looks cool, I like it. If you decide to stick with that truck by as much replacment parts, almost like having another kit or buy another truck if it is cheaper. Sometimes does companies dissapear from day to night. USually just buy the weakest links that you know break on a regular basis like control arms, may some extra gears, spacer, Bbearings, etc...

Enjoy your new RC, its always fun when you get new stuf to bash around, I give you props that you did not go the "I will buy the ultimate RC and show them what I got" kind of deal, as sometimes I read here on the forums. Its not always the fastest, biggest, best handling what gives hours of fun bashing...