Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Proper soldering technique

Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper soldering technique

I have to resolder the wire connections to the motor of my sons rc-10. The previous job held for about a year before it started smoking. I would like to know what kind of technique is used so as to not get the motor too hot when soldering. I usually place the wire on the tab then have the soldering iron on one side of the tab and hold the solder on the other side till it gets hot enough to flow into the wire, then remove the soldering iron and let cool. I worry about the heat going down the tab and into the motor and melting something. Any tips?

skeeter
Old 03-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Proper soldering technique

Put some solder on the tab/motor,then you melt/feed the solder on the wire,when this flows,you melt the solder on the tab by using the wire so you dont heat up the motor.This is how i would have done it,i guess there are many other ways to do it!Do you understand my norwegian thinking?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Lars is right on. You "tin" up the tab on the motor and wire with solder. Then, while the tab and wire are still warm/hot you put the joint together. Use the soldering iron to make sure you've got a good connection and the solder is thoroughly melted into the wire and let it cool. You'll now have a great solder joint. Also, you really don't have to worry about overheating the motor tab. You can get that real hot, to a point, and you're probably not going to hurt anything. All that will happen if you get the wire too hot is you'll melt a little insulation. Good luck.

Most LHS's will solder for you for real cheap if you don't want to do it.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Access

Use a temperature controlled iron. I've never been able to go back to the 'dumb' irons (uncontrolled) you get at radio shack or a local hobby shop for $10. Sure a temperature controlled iron is expensive, in the hundreds of dollars for a good one, but they last forever and the connections they make are much more reliable than the cheap ones.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 PM
lee172

you dont mention what connectors you are using, make sure they are quality, such as Deans.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Airbus 9e

I got my Hakko 936 soldering station on their site for $79 + shipping.....not bad for something decent...
Old 03-25-2009, 04:16 PM
skeeter_ca

Lee,

The wires are going directly to the motor tabs. No connectors.

Access,

All i have at the moment are 2 "dumb" irons, a pencil and a gun type. Don't really solder enough to want to invest in an expensive setup. Maybe some time down the road.

I like the idea of tinning the tab and wire then heating to let them flow together. Should i use a shrink tubing after to help minimize vibration related cracking at the solder joint.

skeeter
Old 03-25-2009, 04:42 PM
HJJFFFAA

I don't think shrink wrap will help with the vibration. It does make your joints look a lot neater though.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: skeeter_ca
Access,

All i have at the moment are 2 "dumb" irons, a pencil and a gun type. Don't really solder enough to want to invest in an expensive setup. Maybe some time down the road.

I like the idea of tinning the tab and wire then heating to let them flow together. Should i use a shrink tubing after to help minimize vibration related cracking at the solder joint.
Another thing you can try is, if you have an IR temperature sensor try pointing that at the tip of your iron and if it's hotter than 700F or colder than 600F, don't use it. Wait for it to heat up or cool down. Or watch what happens after you tin the tip the solder should stay shiny. If it oxides quickly (changes to a dull color) or vaporizes outright, it's too hot. In my experience the 60W iron I got from the hobby shop was too hot for deans, it would oxidize the solder and sometimes even melt the plastic on the connector before I could solder a wire to it. While a 30W iron isn't really enough, and so on.