Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 New to RC and excited, LF 1st car/truck advice >

New to RC and excited, LF 1st car/truck advice

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to RC and excited, LF 1st car/truck advice

Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC and excited, LF 1st car/truck advice

Ok Went to a Monster Truck show, these things came out at intermission now I have got to have one.

Here's what I know I want and what i wanna do with the toy

4x4 bash thru the hills and bushes of Nevada launch off some jumps, blast thru some snow, entertain my kids while camping etc (I'll be driving, they get to run )

I am mechanically inclined and familiar with motorcycle engines etc, so nitro has some appeal. Love the sound and smell!!

But as much as I'd like to tinker with it, I do want to drive it more than work on it so electric is probably the way I should go but I dont want to sacrifice alot of power for it.

How much power difference is there really between the 2?

Been researching around the net and magazines, the Traxxas Revo and T-Maxx seem like they would be pretty good fits for me. Sound about right? Any other good/similar trucks of other brands you may suggest?

Any one with experience with the Revo and T-Maxx have comments about them? What are the pros/cons of each?

So being a beginner and just getting into the hobby, cost being a determinent as well, which would you recommend, Nitro or Electric version? When is comes to electric is it worth the extra $250 or so to buy brushless? (What is the big .advantage of brushless any way? power? less maintenance?

All right now the wall of text has slapped you silly, thanks in advance for comments and advice.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 PM

Default RE: New to RC and excited, LF 1st car/truck advice

I have a Losi Aftershock that I use very similar to how you plan on using your....It's $369 RTR, and comes with a pretty good AM radio, though I swapped in my favorite Futaba 3PK...I had a T-Maxx, but it proved to be too fragile....My brother inlaw has an HPI Savage 25 that's been bulletproof...Todays nitro engines hold a tune quite well, and can be run for many gallons of fuel if given proper maintenence...With almost anything electric, you can count on spending nearly what the truck cost to add batteries and a decent charger...if going with Nickel Metal packs, you need several as they need a cool off period before recharging...Lithium Polymer packs don't need a real cool down time, but some are still pretty pricey...

Something like the new Losi LST XXL is ready to go almost from the time you take it out of the box....The radio it comes with is very high quality, and the truck and radio both come with NiMh packs....some simple prep procedures that are outlined on the Losi forums and you should be ready for breaking in your engine....

I'm sure there are others who will be along to tell you what they think....Most of my experience has been with electric dirt oval cars, but since I've had my Aftershock, it's been pretty tough and trouble free....
Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 PM

Seems liek nitro is what you want. You need to always have a tuning screwdriver as you will need to tune the engine very slightly every run or so (about every time you take it out to run), but you usually only have to adjust it a couple hours to get a good tune.

The Revo and T-Maxx are both entry level trucks. From my experience, neither is durable, but the Revo is more durable than the T-Maxx. Since you are bashing, I really wouldnt reccomend a T-Maxx and probably not a Revo either.

The Savage is good, I will let other poeple chime in about the Savage.

I will reccomend a Losi MT/Muggy like the Aftershock, LST XXL, and Muggy. All of them have VERY nice transmitters (especially the XXL) and a good reliable engine and dont need much or any hopups to make them durable.

What is your budget and are there any rc tracks around your area?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 PM

I too say a Savage is a great RC to begin with for bashing and off roading. Savage X with F4.6 is good, and if you are willing to pony up a some more $$$, the Savage XL is also available. And virtually any Savage can be had at your local RC store or even on-line.

Also good trucks for bashing are the Losis (Aftershock might be the most affordable of the Losis). Aftershock and the various LSTs LST2, XXL, etc) are available at your local RC store too.

Also great are AE trucks, specifically the MGT trucks. They might not be as tough as say the Savage, but they hold their own very well in bashing, and again, they too can be had in you local RC store and parts are also very easy to get as well.

As for the Revo, it can actually bash too with some upgrades, but personally, I recommend that truck if you are going to race. The Revo is a very good handling truck. Again, just like the above trucks, Revos can be had in any local RC store, and parts and upgrades are everywhere.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Well as far as I know there are no tracks in the area, I find it hard to believe there would not be one but since I haven't ventured out to find one and KNOW there is one here I have to say no.

Budget wise, has to be wife approved and she isn't excited about it, Ive mentioned $350-400 but may be able to push up a little bit more.

Everyone is giving great comments and advice, thanks, but is there anything more like the Revo from other manufactures? I know I am also thinking of the more T-Maxx style truck but really was kinda leaning toward a lower more stable platform like the revo without going full on buggy. Does the Muggy fit that picture?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: epijunkie

Well as far as I know there are no tracks in the area, I find it hard to believe there would not be one but since I haven't ventured out to find one and KNOW there is one here I have to say no.

Budget wise, has to be wife approved and she isn't excited about it, Ive mentioned $350-400 but may be able to push up a little bit more.

Everyone is giving great comments and advice, thanks, but is there anything more like the Revo from other manufactures? I know I am also thinking of the more T-Maxx style truck but really was kinda leaning toward a lower more stable platform like the revo without going full on buggy. Does the Muggy fit that picture?

How about truggy?? Truck + Buggy = truggy... taller than buggy, lower than monster truck.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: samguan

ORIGINAL: epijunkie

How about truggy?? Truck + Buggy = truggy... taller than buggy, lower than monster truck.
....Or Truck+Monster Truck= Muggy! The Muggy is really good. The 8ight-T is good, but is more race oriented and is out of your price range. Actually, so is the Muggy.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 AM

Truggy sounds more my style, but i dont really care for traditional buggy looks, but i know you can buy other body styles, prefer truck looking vehicles.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:37 AM

One other ? this especially applies to nitro but electric as well, If I was to purchased a used vehicle what are the main things I should dbe looking at when viewing/test driving it before buying. I just did a search and found a site for a local RC association and they have some good sounding vehicles on there to buy.

8ight 1.0 for $150

package deal of

Futaba Magnum T3PDF Transmitter

- 8th scale buggy KYOSHO Inferno MP-7.5 Nitro,

With - Airtronics Servos, Stock Kyosho GS21 Engine, 12 extra tires

- 10th scale truck LOSI NTXXX

With – Mach Engine, 2 extra rear tires

- Tower Hobbies Glow Started w/meter and charger

- 3 O.S. Glow Plugs

- Shock Fluid

- Filter Oil

- Two stock Kyoshso servos

- Lets of extra nuts and bolts

- Owners manuals
ALL for $200

E-Revo with MM brushless and 2 4200 packs for $475
E-Maxx also with 2 4200 packs for $350
XTM XLM buggy for $250

These all seem like they might be a good way to get into this cheaper especially with the wife limiting me on funds

Oh and there are some tracks nearby with one actually here in town trying to get built
Old 03-26-2009, 01:09 PM

No advice on buying used? any comments about those particular models/prices?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 PM

If you think you may want to go used, then I'd go with Ebay....I got a dirt oval roller chassis there for $200....included the car, 4 motors, 2 packs, a speed control, and a bag of tires....good deal for me.....

a Losi 8ight for $150 is a screaming deal.....though it depends on what's included because you can spend another $300 on a decent engine and radio....

Things like radios I tend to be leery of buying on the used market. They can look in perfect condition, and be totally screwed up on the inside....

If I knew what your budget was, I'd be able to make a better suggestion....If you're more interested in an 8th scale truggy, the RC8T come as an RTR, with a good radion.....all you need is a rechargable setup for the Rx, and a transmitter pack and you're ready to go....oh....and fuel....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWLD1&P=7

a satick pack for the ProStart can be found on Ebay since runtime is'nt really needed....
Old 03-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks Airbus, My current budget looks to be in the $400 dollar range, I know it's not much for this hobby but it's about all i can talk my wife into atm with our current financial situation.

I bought a new ride for this season so my old ride is for sale. Car is a 8ight 1.0 with Tuned Flex Chassis. Roller only with manual.
$150.00. Let me know if anyone is interested. Car is not beautiful or anything but it was turnin fast laps when I pulled it off the track two weeks ago. If I cant get $150.00 I will keep it for parts

That is the quote from his advertisement on local RC forums, he replaced it with a 8ight 2.0

The package deal I listed is sold as is the E-Maxx, the E-Revo is almost brand new and seems to be a screaming deal for brushless @ $475 (I have a little stash of cash I can up my budget with for something local )

Also Ebay makes me nervous since I'm so new to this, with limited knowledge I'd prefer to see/drive the thing before I buy but not completely opposed to it either.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 PM

I think Buying a used car isn't the best way to go for a Newb......I've bought a few Used and Know what to look for and still ended up putting a Lot of money into them Fixing them up to My standards

Although if it's something local that you can Check over In-Person and maybe even Try it out (or at least hear it run).....then that may be the way to go....
Old 03-26-2009, 08:00 PM

I would go to that track and see what they have and they should point you in the right direction.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 PM

I would say a Savage! Replacement parts and hop ups are readily available! And this truck (I have one of the originals) will take anything pretty much that I throw its way! It was my brothers truck and he gave it to me for my birthday one year! Took me 2 years to even take it out of the box to fix the pull start but once I did there was no stopping me! I am SAVAGE nutz!
I bought my kid a like new XTM X-Factor that was several years old but really had no run time on it! However what I have found over the last few months is that parts are not readily available and that they are no longer manufacturing any for it! $150 bucks was worth it, if nothing else I can use the motor and tires! Ha!
Go with a Savage if your looking for something that can take some abuse! Later
Old 03-28-2009, 03:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I would strongly reccomend you the Jammin CRT .5 if u have a low budget, you can buy it for 240 bucks its a tough little trugy, handles superb and is rtr, just needs fuel top speed is 42 mph. but its a little smaller than 1/10th scale. the CRT.5 is AWD and has tons of optional parts. i am getting it in 2 weeks because i drove my friends and fell it love with it

if u want speed i would get a traxxas jato 3.3 for around 370-380 but its a beast, no so for off road stuck but goes 65+ and traxxas is known for its costumer support and quality.
-
i dont really like electrics because i love the nitro smell and noise but if u want speed and durabilty and have a high budget you should get HPI savage flux for 620, its brushless so no cleaning the motor and it does 62+ but with lipos which can cost up to 200 bucks and u need a lipo charger.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

for you nitro is a much better choice, if u got any questions pm me, i was also in ur position 8 years ago lol

P.S i own a savage nitro, jato 3.3 and a rc18t with mamba brushless, soon to be crt.5