Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rebuilding an old Traxxas Blue Eagle

Old 03-26-2009, 12:34 PM
ClassicBlueEagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding an old Traxxas Blue Eagle

I was cleaning out my closet and found my old Traxxas Blue Eagle that has been gathering dust for close to 20 years.

I am in the process of re-assembling it and I noticed that the parts don't seem to run as smoothly as they originally did. I'm guessing some of the parts like the bearings need to be either disassembled/cleaned or maybe just lubed. Does anyone have any recommendations for how best to do this? Is there a particular kind of oil that I need to buy?

I bought my ESC used from a friend that was getting out of the hobby 15+ years ago and now that I look at it, the leads coming out of it have been cut way too short. It seems like it would make sense to have the battery/motor leads as short as possible with the ESC leads being longer. Why waste more wire on battery packs? How hard is it to desolder the old wires and resolder them? The solder joints on the ESC are remarkably close together for the + and - terminals.

This is a rough parts list:
Traxxas Blue Eagle - stock with a few minor modifications to the chassis (filing down edges, trimming battery cups and whatnot.
Futaba 2PB? - Gutted from my old Losi JRX-2 that was sold.
Futaba S148 steering servo
Novak T1-X
Trinity Magic Speed 17T double - Gutted from my old Losi JRX-2
Trinity Speed Gem 2 Amethyst 17T Double Motor - Brand New (I just finished soldering caps and broke it in)
2 probably dead rebuild no name NiCD pattery packs
3 sets of 3000 MAh NiMH packs I bought a few years back and never finished

I already found the site's gear ratio calculator (which I had never paid attention to in the past), so hopefully I'll be looking that over to get some better ideas on how best to rebuild my pinion/spur combo. Back when I first built this and chose parts we didn't have anything of the sort.

I realize that most of my electronics are probably way out of date, but I already have them so I'd like to try to get it running on what I've got before I start replacing pieces wholesale. I don't plan to try and race competitively or anything like that, so I just want to start by trying to just get the old girl back into tip top shape.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Airbus 9e

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rebuilding an old Traxxas Blue Eagle

Easy fix for your short wire problem....just make the ones on the batteries a bit longer if you haven't assembled them yet....For the bearings, to clean them just dunk them in some laquer thinner for a few minutes, then take them out and let them air dry. I'd then use some LPS lube on them....unless they're totally shot they should work for a while....If the NiCads have been sitting long enough they're probably toast....I'd just assemble the NiMh packs, and then cycle them at around 2 amps at first....they'll probably false peak like crazy at first, but they should come around....