Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Batteries-Volts and Mah Q's

Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM
MarkSD
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries-Volts and Mah Q's

Hey I am new to the R/C stuff. I have a very basic battery question but to me it is all greek until someone tells me how it works. Now how do the volt and Mah of a batteries pertain to a cars power and also length of time the battery will last. Also do all cars usually use 7.2, now what is up with the lipos and theirs volts and cells and mah. I searched to see if I could find a good FAQ but didn't find anything. Thanks

Mark
Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Batteries-Volts and Mah Q's

The more mAh's,the longer drivingtime you have,that is the basicsYou can use a 2 cell LiPo (7,4 volts) on a car designed for 7,2 volts.Well,you can also use 3 cell LiPo (11,1 volts) if the motor and speedcontroller can handle it!The LiPo batteries also have more punch than the regular NiCd and NiMh-batteries
Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mAh = milli amp-hours = power capacity of battery

A 1500 mAh battery is a 1.5 Ah battery wheich means it will deliver 1.5 amps for 1 hour, or 1 Amp for 1.5 hours, or 3 Amps for 1/2 hour, etc.

Keep in mind, that near the end of this "time", the battery voltage is dropping fast, so you actually get less useable time. Power = Volts x Amps and your voltage is dropping near the end.

Batteries can be conencted in parallel or series.

In series, you add the individual battery voltages together to get the total output voltage. The mAH stays the same as the rating for one individual battery. I think they call this 2S for two batteries in series, 3S for 3 batteries in series, and so on.

In parallel, the voltage is the same, but the mAH rating increase to the rating of one individual battery times the total number of batteries in parallel. They refer to this as 2P for two batteries in paralle, 3P for 3 batteries in parallel, etc.

So, a 2S2P battery would be 4 batteries. Two pairs of parallel connected batteries connected in series. Voltage is doubled from the rating of a single battery (of the pack) due to teh series wiring and the capacity rating (mAh) rating is also doubled due to the parallel wiring.

Hmmm...think I have all this right.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Williwa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mAh tells the capacity of the battery, how long it will last. 5000 mAh is basically the highest capacity you can buy.
The "C" rating also tells how powerful the batt is w/ the mAh
To figure out how many amps (or how powerful it is) use this formula: "mAh rating"/1000 X "C rating"

Each cell for a Li-Po is 3.1 volts , and can be charged up to 4.2 volts. DO NOT DISCHARGE BELOW 3 VOLTS

To charge a Li-po batt YOU NEED A LIPO CHARGER, NOT A NICD OR NIMH CHARGER!!!! ALSO DON'T USE "DUMB" CHARGERS, USE ONES THAT WILL AUTOMATICALLY SHUT OFF WHEN IT REACHES A FULL CHARGE.
To figure how fast you can charge it up (in amps) to use this formula: "mAh rating"/1000
If you charge it at its fastest rate, from totally discharged to fully charged, will take 1 hour.

Other notes:
On a Brushless configuration you need at least (the bare bottom minimum) 60 amps, 100 amps is REALLY recommended.

Thats all I know about lipos. hope it helped. really hope