Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

fhss and dss??

Old 03-27-2009, 01:16 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fhss and dss??

for airtronics users whats the differnce between the 2?i have m8 and m11 wit hspektrum and im thinkin of getting the airtronics module instead..but i wanna know the difference and which one is the latest?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: fhss and dss??

They are different acronyms for the same technology I believe (though I'm prepared to be corrected by a radio guru)... FHSS - Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum, DSS - Digital Spread Spectrum. They are just different acronyms for the same tech. Whether there is any actual difference in the methods used by those two radios, I'm afraid I don't know, I'm a futaba guy.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM

Sorry Foxy, DSS and FHSS are different animals.
This is from the Spektrum site. I believe that the Futaba site has a similar explanation and if I can find it I'll post it too.

There are two main broadcast methods that spread spectrum manufacturers can utilize. One format is Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS). With an FHSS system, the transmitter transmits a narrow band signal and rapidly jumps from one frequency to the next, spending a few milliseconds on each frequency. Originally, Spektrum engineers started their development with FHSS-based systems because they were relatively easy and inexpensive to develop. However, they soon discovered that FHSS had several limitations that would prevent it from being the optimal solution for RC. While more difficult and costly to develop, our engineers began experimenting with Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) and optimized the modulation scheme to overcome critical response and re-link issues. DSSS systems transmit on a single selected frequency but on a very wide band. Only a small portion of that band is used for specially encoded information. In addition, DSSS offers an increase of processing gain for significant improvements in range. With years of development and testing, the DSSS modulation scheme was optimized for RC car and airplane use, and Spektrum´s DSM 2.4GHz Spread Spectrum Technology was born. DSSS provided engineers and hobbyists with the safety, security, and locked-in feeling that is necessary to maintain total and complete control in any vehicle or aircraft.

Edit
Well, this is a link to one of Futaba's FAQ's. Not nearly as good an explanation of the system and, obviously they're touting their system but, for what it's worth here ya go...
http://2.4gigahertz.com/faq/faq-fasst-q888.html
Old 03-27-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh, I really wasn't sure, thanks for the explanation Dave. Anyway, the net effect is the same, no crystals.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 PM

there would be no advantage to changing from spektrum to airtronics 2.4Ghz.... The advantage of spektrum, is that you can buy the receivers from losi RTR's cheap off ebay that will work with the spektrum module....