Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Good magazine fo R/C?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good magazine fo R/C?

I like rcca.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM
DerekBuono

I've addressed this many times, there is no real economic tie between me and any RC company. I get lots of emails and phone calls complaining about reviews we've done. Do we risk losing business from giving something a bad review...yes. Some magazines may sway their opinion about something for that reasons, others don't.

But to accuse anybody of being bought out because they are in business is pretty ignorant of the world and how everything is tied together. Our dyno directly contradicted many advertisers and we have reviews where we really aren' into the car.

The great thing about RC is that because one car isn't good for one person it might be the best thing for somebody else.

Forums are great places to get information or ask for help. Are they better than a magazine. No they are different. You can get 1,000 "expert" opinions from people who have owned one car and have been doing it for a year, or you can ask people in the industry that have done it their entire life. I've been doing this since I was 11 and I'm now 34. That's 23 years of playing with these things and almost 10 doing it for a living. I'd trust my opinion more than some random guy online...but that just me.

Magazines are a place to learn some stuff, be entertained and too dream about what you want. If you think they are the bible of RC...just like anything you can fault them. Most people online somehow feel they are more qualified than those working at it, in it. But for me I at least think many opinions are just as good as mine. We may not agree but at least I don't think you are influenced on just what you bought.

Enjoy the hobby, enjoy magazines, enjoy forums.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:33 AM
wht92lude

I've never seen a bad review in your magazines, and when you list something breaking youstill give a high durability rating, why is that?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:06 AM
webdr

When I write reviews here on RCU, I try to touch on the bad aspects but not dwell on them. Now, with that said, If something goes wrong w/ a vehicle, or something breaks, I will report about it in the misses section or describe the problem in the review.

Many times I have reviewed a vehicle and found an existing fault that many people have noted, yet it wasnt even mentioned in the magazine.

To show you what I mean, I used to write for RCCA. You have a set of rules you have to follow:

In the likes/dislikes section, you can pick 3 likes but only 1 dislike.
So, if there are multiple issues with a vehicle, you can only pick one and report on it.

Hows that for telling the whole story??

Matt
Old 05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
wht92lude

So they aren't allowed to list all of the negatives?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:10 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: wht92lude

well Im not sure about other mags, but RCCA's rule is 3 to 4 likes ,and 1 dislike.
So the answer to your question is yes, they cant report on all the negatives about a vehicle.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is not good. Though many reviewers might not like to bash on an RC, if there are more problems than benefits, that should be expressed. And I too find a problem with such a policy; the objective review is no longer objective.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:51 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: webdr

well Im not sure about other mags, but RCCA's rule is 3 to 4 likes ,and 1 dislike.
So the answer to your question is yes, they cant report on all the negatives about a vehicle.
That's weird last month one of the cars had 2 likes and 2 dislikes? In fact earlie rin the issue there is one with 3 dislikes. Maybe times have changed since you worked for them?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:23 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Keep in mind that was when he actually worked for them. They could have changed their policy; if Derek from XRC is getting bombarded with emails about being "bougt out," then so is every other mag in the industry.

Now, I do tend to trust XRC more than other mags, as he said, he as actively bucked the trend with X-Dyno and busting the lies of exagerrated advertised nitro HP. Even to the point of pissing off engine advertisers. But I and many other RC fans who have dabbled with modding nitro engines actually appreciate this bucking of the trend.

As for what WebDR said about the policy of the reviewer MUST name no more than 1 or 2 faults in the reviewed RC, that still holds true. Pick up any magazine, and you will still see the trend that the review will always list only 1 or two, or on very rare occasions, 3 faults of the RC and yet name as many as 6 good points. An example of this is in RC Driver, April 09, in which they reviewed the Exceed Mad Beast. The review named like 6 good points and was limited to only two faults. But we all know there are other key faults: There is virtually NO aftermarket options and availability for this clone of the RD Logic Wolverine (as a matter of fact, there are NO options for the Wolverine either!). Many former Exceed customers will testify that Exceed CS is not as good as othe HSP resellers, say like Himoto's or Redcat's CS, so forth and so on. And this trend of only saying 1 or 2 bad things in the review is not for just this one RC, look at every single other RC review in RC Driver, and they too are limited to only 1 or 2 faults.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about printed magazines, but it's a bit different here on RCU, partly because we are encouraged to perform reviews however we see fit. If there are more minuses than plusses, but the model is at least acceptable, then so be it. The problem only arises when the model is so poor, that to post the review would not benefit the reviewer or the manufacturer, and in that case, we would simply not run the review and the members would be none the wiser.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:25 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I don't know about printed magazines, but it's a bit different here on RCU, partly because we are encouraged to perform reviews however we see fit. If there are more minuses than plusses, but the model is at least acceptable, then so be it. The problem only arises when the model is so poor, that to post the review would not benefit the reviewer or the manufacturer, and in that case, we would simply not run the review and the members would be none the wiser.
Ive had a few of those

As for AutoMan X's comment, It was late 07-early 08 that I was writing for RCCA. That was when Peter Veira was the Senior Editor. He left and went to Traxxas, now Matt Higgins is in his place. Im sure some things have changed since then.
Matt
Old 05-11-2009, 06:21 PM
DerekBuono

You obviously don't read. But there are things that happen with all magazines. If a product is to bad and we hate it...we review something else.

Breaking is totally subjective. All cars break. Fact. If something breaks out of the ordinary, or frequently it is a problem. Us crashing or breaking something from abuse is not a bad rating. It's part of RC. Jumping 30 feet at 40mph and breaking an arm isn't really bad.

I've never seen a bad review in your magazines, and when you list something breaking youstill give a high durability rating, why is that?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
DerekBuono

In my quote, it was supposed to say I get emails/call from MANUFACTURERS all the time about reviews and them not being happy with them. In re-reading my post it looks like people are complaining...they are not. People on the internet complain....about everything. That's some law of the internet.

We list as many Negatives as there are. You can harp on negatives and create them if you want to. That's taking a negative spin on writing. Most of the people complain or ***** about being bad is what is advertised online or some strange Chinese company trying to sell something they made. Most, if not all the companies that invest in print, and having real US offices/distribution can't really afford to sell terrible stuff.

But if a reader wants to look at the world half empty there's nothing much anybody can do or say. Which is where forums are great people can complain about how they jumped a car 100 feet and it broke...clearly it sucks. lol.

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Keep in mind that was when he actually worked for them. They could have changed their policy; if Derek from XRC is getting bombarded with emails about being "bougt out," then so is every other mag in the industry.

Now, I do tend to trust XRC more than other mags, as he said, he as actively bucked the trend with X-Dyno and busting the lies of exagerrated advertised nitro HP. Even to the point of pissing off engine advertisers. But I and many other RC fans who have dabbled with modding nitro engines actually appreciate this bucking of the trend.

As for what WebDR said about the policy of the reviewer MUST name no more than 1 or 2 faults in the reviewed RC, that still holds true. Pick up any magazine, and you will still see the trend that the review will always list only 1 or two, or on very rare occasions, 3 faults of the RC and yet name as many as 6 good points. An example of this is in RC Driver, April 09, in which they reviewed the Exceed Mad Beast. The review named like 6 good points and was limited to only two faults. But we all know there are other key faults: There is virtually NO aftermarket options and availability for this clone of the RD Logic Wolverine (as a matter of fact, there are NO options for the Wolverine either!). Many former Exceed customers will testify that Exceed CS is not as good as othe HSP resellers, say like Himoto's or Redcat's CS, so forth and so on. And this trend of only saying 1 or 2 bad things in the review is not for just this one RC, look at every single other RC review in RC Driver, and they too are limited to only 1 or 2 faults.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:28 PM
DerekBuono

Curious what you reviewed that you had to pick so many negatives? Are you nit-picking negatives or legit negatives.

Also you have 1,000 words which to convey if you liked or disliked a car. If you didn't like it your tone will be bad and the review will read poorly. So maybe they tried to make you over like something...but since I don't recognize your name I'm guessing they gave you some BS car that really was a beginner RTR....that's how it works.

When I write reviews here on RCU, I try to touch on the bad aspects but not dwell on them. Now, with that said, If something goes wrong w/ a vehicle, or something breaks, I will report about it in the misses section or describe the problem in the review.

Many times I have reviewed a vehicle and found an existing fault that many people have noted, yet it wasnt even mentioned in the magazine.

To show you what I mean, I used to write for RCCA. You have a set of rules you have to follow:

So, if there are multiple issues with a vehicle, you can only pick one and report on it.

Matt
Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
TRINI-LUCIAN

Location: St.AugustineTrinidad and Tobago, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

I personally prefer XRC, if for anything, their engine reviews, well, when they do them. Also, I really like how they are pushing for a standardized BHP and torque standard for our nitro engines, where before, engine makers simply lied through their teeth and greatly exaggerated how much output our nitro engines produce.

I also like RC Driver, but they tend to over exaggerate how good RCs are, they tend to rate them a tad higher instead of bing completely objective.

And of course RCCA is a good one as well. I really like the editorial columns.

As for RC reviews, the one fault ALL mags fail at is LONG TERM testing, any sort of review on customer support, and any sort of parts and aftermarket optoins availability. Lack of addressing these areas leaves off very important aspects of the hobby.
Right on... couldn't be said any better... I think some are listening and taking notes...
Old 05-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I kind of view RCU as a big magazine.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: DerekBuono

Curious what you reviewed that you had to pick so many negatives? Are you nit-picking negatives or legit negatives.

Also you have 1,000 words which to convey if you liked or disliked a car. If you didn't like it your tone will be bad and the review will read poorly. So maybe they tried to make you over like something...but since I don't recognize your name I'm guessing they gave you some BS car that really was a beginner RTR....that's how it works.

Matt
Easy Big D!
Theres no need to get fiesty
I wrote two reviews, both were not high end cars, they were beginners rigs. I was approached by RCCA and asked to write for them.
I was given strict rules for how I was to proceed; only ONE negative.

You said:

Hmmm, your bending my words like Uri Geller bends a spoon, brother.
Please go back and read my posts, I never said I was dissatisfied w/ any vehicles, I merely stated the rules given to me at the time.
Yes, I was a newbie.
Yes, I got beginner cars.
Yes, I has a blast.

Id do it again if I had to write 1000 words about a Tonka truck. It was a great experience being published in a magazine and it helped me a great deal with my copy, photography, and videos here at RCU.

Have a good one.
matt
Old 05-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Steve.

I've been picking up XRC lately and I like it because of their attitude. I find it very entertaining.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM
DerekBuono

You're reading my questions as aggressive, I was just asking questions. That wasn't the case when I worked at RCCA, but in looking at their current issue I only see one weak "-" we usually have 2-3 more sometimes if necessary.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 PM
webdr

You're reading my questions as aggressive, I was just asking questions. That wasn't the case when I worked at RCCA, but in looking at their current issue I only see one weak "-" we usually have 2-3 more sometimes if necessary.
yea, I guess I did read it wrong.
Sorry bout that.
matt
Old 05-15-2009, 02:10 PM
DerekBuono

Just a general statement, I read/scanned lots of reviews here and other websites and they aren't as over "critical" as everybody loves to think. Actually to me they read more "favorable" than many of the magazine reviews.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
wht92lude

You obviously don't read. But there are things that happen with all magazines. If a product is to bad and we hate it...we review something else.

Breaking is totally subjective. All cars break. Fact. If something breaks out of the ordinary, or frequently it is a problem. Us crashing or breaking something from abuse is not a bad rating. It's part of RC. Jumping 30 feet at 40mph and breaking an arm isn't really bad.

I do read, mostly other better rc magazines. So are you saying that you waste company resources reviewing a product, to find out that it is terrible. After finding out that it is terrible just ditch the whole review? That's really informative to the whole RC community. Let us waste our money on bad products, just because your scared of manufacturer rebuttal, your a joke.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Airbus 9e

I've found most of the RCcar magazines are targeted to the 13-17 crowd....There's virtually no coverage of the kind of racing I do, and most of the "reviews" I see are more concerned with top speed or bling than whether the car or truck is durable or wrth the money....
Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Unfortunately, I have to agree here to. Of the major mags on the shelves of the local RC stores around me, these being RCCA, RC Driver, and my personal favourite,XRC, all the reviews are written for the younger in mind. Granted, it is good to expose the hobby to the young crowd to get more people into the hobby, but I do wish there were some reviews that were also geared to the more advanced people in mind too.

Yes, RC mags go into racing set-up, but unfortunately, these are only instructional how-to articles. If a review of a race-grde buggy were done, I would really love to see set-up also included into the review. Namely, suspension tuning such as the track conditions for the track the RC was tested on, the shock oil, springs, and shock pistons chosen, camber, toe, droop, ackerman set-up, etc. and whey each of these were chosen by the reviewer in his experience and opinion to conquer the track he tested on. Furthermore, his opinion and suggestion for this RC on other suspension tuning set-ups for other kinds of track conditions.
And to specify that this part of the artical is aimes at the advanced drivers and racing enthusiasts, the article at theat part should say so so the younger people can skip it and go over the parts that only pertain to their level of skill.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:48 AM
HJJFFFAA

Unfortunately, I have to agree here to. Of the major mags on the shelves of the local RC stores around me, these being RCCA, RC Driver, and my personal favourite,XRC, all the reviews are written for the younger in mind. Granted, it is good to expose the hobby to the young crowd to get more people into the hobby, but I do wish there were some reviews that were also geared to the more advanced people in mind too.

Yes, RC mags go into racing set-up, but unfortunately, these are only instructional how-to articles. If a review of a race-grde buggy were done, I would really love to see set-up also included into the review. Namely, suspension tuning such as the track conditions for the track the RC was tested on, the shock oil, springs, and shock pistons chosen, camber, toe, droop, ackerman set-up, etc. and whey each of these were chosen by the reviewer in his experience and opinion to conquer the track he tested on. Furthermore, his opinion and suggestion for this RC on other suspension tuning set-ups for other kinds of track conditions.
And to specify that this part of the artical is aimes at the advanced drivers and racing enthusiasts, the article at theat part should say so so the younger people can skip it and go over the parts that only pertain to their level of skill.
So you're saying that 12-17 years old people can't be advanced racers or drivers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.