Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Newbie just ordered a BIY ACME Condor kit

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Newbie just ordered a BIY ACME Condor kit

Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Dylanh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie just ordered a BIY ACME Condor kit

Hello Folks,
Ok I've just ordered myself an Acme BIY Condor nitro buggy.
This is my first RC vehicle (except for little battery operated toys) and I've never built anything like this before.
Has anyone got any advice for a total noobie? or are there any other noobes that have built one of these?

Any/all advice welcome.

p.s. I'm really excited with the prospect of building this thing.

Dylan
Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 PM
xt2nitro

Default RE: Newbie just ordered a BIY ACME Condor kit

Good luck with that thing....
Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Well, i have no experience with this particular buggy. Im not sure how good of a brand Acme is, but hopefully it will hold up well for you

There are some simple things to remember while messing with it. I would put blue loctite on all the metal to metal screws. This will keep them from vibrating out. Take your time with it. It takes some time to build a kit, so just work by the manual and it should go pretty smooth. I would put some after run oil or something similar down into the plug hole on the motor, and the carb throat before you ever start it just so you know that it is lubed up well for the initial start. Make sure your gear mesh on your motor is good and snug, but not tight. You want to be able to freely spin the spur by hand without it binding, but you also dont want it too loose. You will strip a spur fast if the mesh is too loose. Make sure and loctite the engine mounting bolts once you get the mesh correct on it too. Im not sure if you have to build the differentials or not, but make sure they are shimmed as tight as possible so that they dont bind any, but also dont have much play at all. Just get them as tight of a mesh as possible while still being able to spin them freely. If they are too loose they will strip easily. Too tight, and the motor will struggle because of the resistance. Dont get too carried away with screws going into plastic parts. They strip fairly easy, and i am bad about putting too much on them and stripping them out.

Over all, it shouldnt be too hard of a project. Just take your time and enjoy the build[8D]

Eric
Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 AM
JBOT12

hi. i have just ordered one to. havnt built it yet. i noticed the coment was a over a year ago. i suspect uv built it by now. is it good? will it go fast like it quotes on the box. over 40 mph it says?if you could give any help for me as im a newbie and this is my first build. please give me some help.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't. You can get a far better product from the established brands.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jbot - If you notice the original poster only has one Post from 2009. I'd stop that shipment if you can and buy a name brand car. I've never seen one of those in person but I have a friend that lives down under and they sell that brand there. His has been nothing but headaches from what he has said. From what I have gathered it's basically the same car sold by Himoto and Redcat but with inferior electronics and motors.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:17 AM
JBOT12

thanks for the advice. ive had some good and bad comments of the veicle most that i look at where good. its already come so i cant get another veicle. something i would look at in the future when ive got a bit more money to spend. hopefully starting building it today
Old 02-19-2011, 03:59 AM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a neat buggy JBOT12, take your time and enjoy your build.
If you have any questions just post away.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 AM
JBOT12

thanks. i didnt make the forum but i have the same problem as the first guy had. im a newbie. any advice about nitro rc. are there any good upgrades that i should get??