Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

paid some attention to the super nitro

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

paid some attention to the super nitro

Old 05-08-2009, 02:12 PM
jaredtowne
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paid some attention to the super nitro

Got rather tired of the rs4-3 and ntc3.. so I decided to pay some attention to the neglected Super Nitro. She's been sitting in this condition for quite some time..

Most of the stuff for it i had on shelf, Bought a couple odds and ends here and there... it started coming together.. replaced the rather old 2 speed setup with a new asssembly. Went with carbon fiber upper deck.. aluminum deck supports. cvds, aluminum threaded shocks... replaced all the belts, pulleys and diffs with new stuff.. aluminum bearing holders, fiber brake disc, aluminum side brace/tensioner, hitec steering servo, jr throttle... went with the HPI optional front shock mount setup as its always been good to me,,. threw some new sticky slicks on hpi wheels... mounted a new LRP .18 with HPI racing clutch and called it a day. only wanted to use aluminum where it would actually serve a decent purpose as I dont want all the weight.

Maybe some of you guys that have been around the hobby for awhile will recognize that header/pipe... i'll never let my hands off that!

Just waiting on the new spur gears before it hits the track again.. (after break in of course )

I know its not much of a post, but I figured i'd contribute something.. and maybe stir up some talk about the super nitro.. Its by far one of my favorite cars to drive.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM
iexion

Default RE: paid some attention to the super nitro

Looks great. Look into wolfpackradicals for more mods
Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 PM
VDub99AML
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Super Nitro is definately my favorite car to drive.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:02 AM
richielporteo

Hello I have a question. Since I was little I've loved radio control cars and now I decided to get into the sport. I purchased a super nitro from a guy. the car didnt come with an engine but he ended up giving me an engine so that i could get started sooner. I paid 50 dollars. he gave me an OS MAX CV-R.

I know this may seam a like a dumb question but what do i need to buy to be able to get the engine to put the power on the gears. If any one could provide me with the part number. I know that i need a clutch and and metal plate that goes before the clutch. Sorry for not using the right words, I'm really new to this. If anyone could help me I would really appreciated it.  Thank you in advance.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Bluebrew

Ok Rich, that's an old car and parts are getting scarce. But here's some stuff still available:
Tower# HPI#
Flywheel LXM718 A801
Collet HPIC0804 A804
Clutch shoes LXM722 A808
Clutch springs LXM732 A827
Bearing LXM766 B046
Engine mounts(non P/S) A920 (enter number into seach box on Towers' site)
Manifold pipe HPIG0950 A950

Now for the clutch bell tou will need to count the teeth on the spur gears
1st 2nd T# H#
44 41 13/16T LXM729 A823
44 39 13/18T LMX730 A825

Of couse you'll need a tuned pipe and air filter of your choice. You will also be needing a "bump box".
Good luck.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Bluebrew

Hey Jared, this car look familiar?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77803.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1358877  
Old 01-18-2010, 10:52 AM
richielporteo

Bluebrew thank you very much, that was all the parts that i needed for the car and i was able to find it all in towerhobbies very easily. I just had two more questions. One is the flywheel, clutch shoes, and the clutch bell should all fit in this OSengine Right??? and the other question is for the spur gear I counted 45 for the green and 40 for the red(going by the color on the picture) thanks.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Bluebrew

I can't guarantee the clutch assy. will fit that engine, but it should. You may need a shim(small washer) behind the collet to get the flywheel to fit tight. If it still won't fit, I've cut the snout off the output shaft(in front of the threaded section and install LXM721 pilot shaft. That reminds me, i forgot mention in the first post, if you don't use that pilot shaft you'll need a regular flywheel nut. It's just like that pilot shaft, but without the "nose" on it.
With those spur gear tooth counts I would use the 13/16T LMX729 bell. The thread pitch is the same so your only concern would be correct gear mesh being allowed by the engine mount bolt slots in the chassis.
Oh yea, you'll need some bolts to mount the engine.

Be careful when ordering that pilot shaft or nut. Some are 5mm thread and some are 1/4"x28 Tpi.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM
DarkFire989

I used to have a Super Nitro. I regret selling it, I miss it.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 PM
richielporteo

Thanks again, I'm about to order the parts but i had one more question. is there any way to make the engine pull without having to buy a new crank shaft. thanks

Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Bluebrew

Hey Richie, I'm heading out to the Dr. so the short answer is nope. Also if you go with a pull start (or roto start) you'll need the P/S engine mounts.