Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Painting my JP-1 pipe

Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting my JP-1 pipe

I just recently bought a used JP1 pipe, and it looks plain and scratched up. I know there are high heat automobile paints being sold in auto stores, and was wondering if it would work. Has anyone done this yet? I was thinking of painting it to the color as close as possible to the hardcoated color.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM
iexion

Default RE: Painting my JP-1 pipe

I was thinking the same exact thing a while back with an HT pipe. Just sand it with 100grit to try and even out any major scratches then sand it with something a bit finer (say 300-500 grit)

Clear and clean off any old paint and sand bits with a decent cleaner (rubbing alcohol) then paint away....

Or skip the sanding clean off any nitro oil and paint it

I know what type of paint your thinking of and i say go with it. I think that stuff takes a while to dry tho
Old 05-14-2009, 11:24 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, it is an enamel based paint and has specific re-coat windows and all that shenanigans. But it doesn't take too much time to dry off like you said. I was thinking of going with a gloss white pipe, should look SICK.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

That is the paint that should do the job. Any feedback?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 AM
iexion

I really like duplicolor. When i was painting my bike thats pretty much all i used. Just have to make sure the spray head was a good one but thats a different subject with painting and what not.

If you can match the pipe to your truck/car body or even match it to the same color as any hop-ups you might have ( say orange alum per say) it will help give a nice "kustom" look
Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 AM
ssj2

Glad you were able to find yourself a pipe Japhlet. Have fun with the buggy.