Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Glow plugs, heat ranges, and the correct plug for the right application.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Glow plugs, heat ranges, and the correct plug for the right application.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 03:37 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow plugs, heat ranges, and the correct plug for the right application.

I found this handy little chart and thought I would share it. As you can see, a A3 plug is HOT, and should be used for very rich settings or is also perfect for engine break in. The percentage of Nitro you are using, helps determine the heat range plug you should use.

If you are using 10-15% and running your engine on the rich side, a A3 plug maybe the only plug you need.

However if you are using 20% and tuning for maximum performance, either a #8 or even maybe a A5 will work.

If you are using 25% or more, you should be using a A5, and for On-road 25%nitro+ use the R5.

So as a general rule you want to use a COLDER plug the higher % of nitro you are running.

Also, a glow plugs heat range, doesn't correlate with a engines ultimate temperature- I.E. A HOT plug, isn't going to make a engine run HOT, and a COLD plug isn't going to make a engine run cooler either.

It took quite a while before I understood, or anyone would explain exactly what different heat ranges were for, and what they meant. Hopefully this little chart makes it easy to understand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	87895_17532.gif
Views:	11616
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	51107  
Old 06-20-2003, 10:32 AM
bigbadbowtie

Default Glow plugs, heat ranges, and the correct plug for the right application.

small addition to Todds post

http://www.excelsiorweb.com/rcair/glowplug.asp
Old 06-20-2003, 10:24 PM
DSA.308

I like that second chart because it shows the different brands too-thanks!
Old 06-21-2003, 12:05 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Plugs

Just for added info the OS #8 and A3 are the same plugs.

Dbow
Old 06-21-2003, 12:12 AM
DSA.308

How is that?
Old 06-21-2003, 04:07 AM
rcharry-RCU

i think your right, my engine runs great with the MaCoy #8, but with the o'donnal 7, just doesnt seem right.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:00 AM
DSA.308

Different brand GLO plug numbers, are MEANINGLESS between manufactures...And while a A3 OS and #8 OS are both hot, they are not the same plug. OS A3 plugs cost $3.50each....OS#8 are $5.00 each. OS A5 and OS R5 cost $6.00each. I have used every plug in the OS line, and can attest to the fact the more expensive plugs (mainly A5) last much longer than the cheaper A3, (in my application and % of nitro). I have used A5 plugs for nearly a gallon with 25% nitro in my off road buggy, and the coil still looks nice, no distortion of the element at all, and the deposits on it are minimal. By simply using a sharp hobby knife and scraping the small deposits that form and cleaning the plug CAREFULLY, the A5 plugs last a gallon of fuel easily, with better performance than the A3, but that just my experience....and application.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:54 PM
dbow

Default Plugs

I wont get into a pissing match over the fact that the plugs are the same. If you want to pay more for the plug then feel free to grab the #8 at an additional cost.

The #A3 is the standard NEW economy plug, same heat range as the #8. The #8 is the OLD plug that was STANDARD heat range until they came out with the NEW STANDARD A3 that costs less

If anyone likes to pay more for things then there you go,
Take it or leave it.

Dbow
Old 06-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Fast Guy

I read some where that the OS #8 is just a heavy duty version of the #A3. I haven't used a #A3 but I know the #8 that comes with new CV series engines lasts a long time. I had one #8 last the life (3 gallons) of a CV-r12 I raced one season.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:38 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not experienced any difference between the heat ranges of the OS 3 and OS 8 plug. As far as I can tell there only difference is that one is long and the other is a short plug.

The OS 3 lasts almost forever.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:54 PM
DSA.308

Re: OS glow plugs
Both the O.S. Max #8 and #A3 glow plugs are medium-heat plugs with very similar characteristics. The main difference is that the #A3 plug is made so that it is an economy plug.

The O.S. Max #8 glow plug is made to the highest standards, and is just about the best glow plug money can buy.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TODD MARSH wrote on 06-22-2003 7:41 PM:
I have a question concerning OS current lineup of glow plugs. Could you please explain the difference between the A3 and the #8? I know they are both hot plugs and the A3 is right next to the #8 in the OS heat chart, but the price varies 1.50 more for the #8. Is it simply a more durable plug? Thanks in advance for any help you could provide. Todd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.)

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

Sincerely,

Bill Baxter, Manager
Futaba Service Center USA
Hobby Services
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Suite 1
Champaign, IL 61822
USA

Phone: 217 398-0007
Fax: 217 398-7721
Futaba email: [email protected]
Hobby Serivces Email: [email protected]
Web
Old 06-23-2003, 02:02 PM
bigbadbowtie

I had ran both in my NT.. the 8 would go for gallons on end but the A3 would die a hard quick death.......usually on the last lap of the A main...2 corners before the finish.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:12 PM
DSA.308

Thanks for the input bigtbadbowtie, its nice to have a real world experience to back up what OS says....and what you and I allready knew.

If I had simply let that little "A3 and #8 are the same" crap ride, 3 posts into a thread about heat ranges and plugs, that would have been not only inaccurate, but wouldnt have been backed up by anyone knowledgeable about OS plug linup either.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:06 PM
twoody

Default mc-9 os #8

So, according to the second chart, the McCoy Mc9 is the equivalent of the OS #A8? I have an Ofna hyper 8 port, and everyone is saying to run the MC9, all I have are OS A8's and my LHS is closed till after the 4th. So I should be just fine with the A8????
Thanks,
Woody
Old 06-23-2003, 07:36 PM
DSA.308

Twoody, I also used McCoy plugs, and yes the MC9 and the #8 are very compatible, you might even like the OS better. I would be surprised if the #8 didnt outlast the MC9.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:50 PM
DSA.308

You really get what you pay for when it comes to two things: GLO PLUGS, AND FUEL. If either of these components are sub standard you can expect less than top performance. You dont have to pay 38$ a gallon for Odonnell 20% nitro, but a good quality car fuel helps alot (I use Trinity 25% monster HP)

A huge problem with a plug thats too hot (or junk) in a Nitro car is the risk of the heating coil in the plug coming loose from the plug body, and falling into the combustion chamber ruining the engine. This can happen from a cheap coil simply falling out, or a plug coil thats too hot for a application can also come loose even with a good quality plug. Also a good deal of performance comes from a consistent plug to light a quality fuel.....
Old 06-23-2003, 08:52 PM
dbow

Default Like I said

Like I said I have used both plugs, no difference in life or performance from my experience.
Heat range is the same, we can agree on that I think.

If one thinks they can get more life out of the #8 and feels comfortable paying for it, then so be it.
I was simply trying to save the fellow hobbyist some cash, everyone likes it when things are cheaper.

As for you TODD dont address me in any fashion, there is no reason to use profanity and treat people in a ill manner.
If you cant conduct a mature conversation then why dont you find somewhere else to blow off your steam?

Meant to add in this link but did not have the time to look for it earlier.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...2&highlight=A3

Dboww
Old 06-23-2003, 08:54 PM
RS4RACER

I use a hot plug in the cold and cooler plug in the hot....
Old 06-24-2003, 01:50 AM
Rex2342

Has anybody used an O'Donell plug before???After reading this thread I think I figured out why my truck is running like crap.I accidentally bought 30% blue thunder instead of my usual 20% and my truck hasn't been right since.I use O.S #8's and have tried to tune the engine but nothing has helped.I read this post and went to my LHS today and bought a colder plug but I had to be at work and didn't have time to run to my regular shop and had to go to the one I don't like(The guys a Jackoff) and they don't stock O.S plugs.He sold me an O'Donell one and Tower says the #99 is for Medium to High Nitro fuels so I'm assuming it's a colder plug.Does anybody know for certain because I don't trust the guy at that Hobby shop?
Old 06-24-2003, 03:37 AM
DSA.308

Im not sure Rex, neither of the handy dandy charts show a Odonnell plug, and I havent ever used one myself....sorry I cant help more.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:56 PM
nitroracer

I am currently using novarossi turbo gold plugs. They are suppose to give better power than the normal non turbo plugs and last preety long too. but that depends on how hot you run your engine and not cook the plug
Old 06-24-2003, 06:11 PM
RS4RACER

I use traxxas super duty long reach plugs....They make my engine start on the first pull!!!:-)
Old 06-24-2003, 06:17 PM
DSA.308

The TRAXXAS plugs are pretty good!
Old 06-24-2003, 06:39 PM
RS4RACER

yeah I really like mine..the little thing that sticks out the top is longer for easier installation..
Old 02-03-2018, 09:11 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

can you use a 2 stroke plug in a four stroke engine, as the weather is creating problems for my 4 stroker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.