Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do kids come up and watch you drive your RC's?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Do kids come up and watch you drive your RC's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:10 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do kids come up and watch you drive your RC's?

I was just wondering if other people have ran into this issue. Last night I was doing some runs with my e-maxx and a bunch of kids came up and started watching. I felt kind of weird becuase Iam no longer a kid playing with RCs. What do you usually do when this happens?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 AM
ssj2

Default RE: Do kids come up and watch you drive your RC's?

That happened to me a lot with my friend and I at the local park we used to run our R/C's at. A little crowd of kids would just form and say, "Oh, can I drive it?" and other stuff like that. Usually, although it's kind of cruel to say, I don't really pay much attention to the kids because it's too much money to risk in such young hands. What I like the most is when one of the kids tells me, "Oh, I have an R/C at home that goes way faster than yours!" I love that.
I wouldn't let them drive your R/C unless you know them well and mainly just continue doing what you're doing and answer any relevant questions the kids may have.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:28 AM
HJJFFFAA

I wish the kids around where live didn't. They are really rude.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Access

Happens all the time.  Most people don't realise they exist (or they expect toy car speeds) so when they see how fast it is, what it can do, etc., they are awed by it.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Snipin_Willy

Yeah they like to watch.  I get the "can I drive it" question a lot, and once when there was a really little one out there he asked his mom "can he share?", lol.  I let em chase it all they want, their parents don't mind because when the kids get home they're worn out!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Lol ya the first nitro I used in the neighborhood (nitro sport) had everyone asking me "does that run on gas?" "That isnt ggas powered is it?" How fast can that go?" And dont get me started on when I went the the local park with it. All the snobby rich kids were so jealous that they all actually got really rude. They would say things like "I think I saw one of those in the garbage" and "My rc has lights so its 10 times better" I love every second of it.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Cheesewaffle

Yeah there's a bunch of little kids in my neighborhood and i get all of the same crap. I generally just pretend like they're not there.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:44 PM
3D 4 ME

These aremy answers to the most common questions asked by spectators: 1.really fast 2.over $300 3.no 4.get one at any hobby store 5.look it up

Old 06-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Druss

My neighborhood kids will watch but don't really get too excited.  When i go to the park I hear comments sometimes and kids will watch but I've never had one ask me any questions yet.  I certainly would never let any of them drive my RC, most kids don't even respect their own stuff much less someone elses.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Chris_RC

I agree with the people that said that kids dont respect their own stuff very much. One of the tracks I go to has a couple baseball diamods with tourtaments and is located in a park, so there are little to older kids watching people running the cars. But it seems kind of weird when kids say "How much does it cost?" because when I come to think about it, I REALLY dont want to think about it so I give them a random number-mostly $600. I never really drive my cars up and down the street or in the park so I dont know about that.......
Old 06-21-2009, 04:31 PM
calvino

I get it some, more with my planes than anything.  IT IS prety funny when they ask questions, norm I don't get many.  I only let our friends kids drive the cars (aka slow ones) instead of random kido... If its at an RC track, thats different since 9 time outa 10 the people know how to drive

Old 06-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Most of the time whenever I get kids watching me run my RC's they're pretty cool. They ask the typical questions, but I've never had one ask me to run one. Maybe they just look at me and instantly assume I won't!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

back when i used to be able to run in the parks i would get kids bugging me all the time, and i hate being bothered.when i realized there were usually parents/adults with in ear shot. i found that a playing music that was loud, fast, violent, had a lot of drug or sexualcontent, and a lotof cussing pretty much solved my problem. also noticed the more evil your rc looked (painted up with flames, skulls, demonsor whatever) and the more "up to no good" you look the less you get bothered. i also found places to run where there were no kids, occasionally jackhole teenagers but they keep there distance. unless they have one, then they want to come over and talk smack. but as soon as you chalenge them they go away
Old 06-21-2009, 06:42 PM
webdr

Boys flock to rc cars like young girls to the Jonas Brothers.
If your at a public park and it annoys you to have kids approach you, find somewhere else to run (not saying this in a rude way)

Theres a pack of neighborhood kids that I think listen for me to fire up a nitro in the front yard. Once they hear it, I picture them using Nextel to alert the others
They usually end up in my front yard within 5 minutes, asking the SAME questions every time.

Did you build that?

How much is it?

Where can I buy one?

You built that!?

It got old the first time
Old 06-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Willystylz

One of the reasons I run electric is that it's not the attention grabber nitros are.  As soon as someone fires up a nitro it seems like 1/2 neighbourhood kids come over.  I honestly do not like it much when kids come watch my RC's.  They start getting close and you get the feeling they wanna drive it.........and that ain't happening!   I feel like saying kid it looks like a toy, but a toy it ain't...........now SCRAM!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:47 PM
childsman

i feel soooo akward some of my high school buddies joke with me saying its dumb but the take intrest. if i didnt have a nitro i'd feel like a lil kid but with my nitro tc3 i feel its not a lil kids thing. the people in my street come out and ask questions and i make them understand how much time money i've but into this. i just let them wach and enjoy it.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:50 PM
total3d

man all the kids in my area dont give a damn. i rip my nitro along the road, and the kids just look and walk by it. no questions.

i actually get more attention from adults, who ask me where did i get it, cost, speed. my neighbour actually asked me about suspension dynamics!!!
but, the people who REALLY like my nitro... POST MAN!!! they like to race me up the street, they get pretty amazed by the acceleration and speed.

even at a local carpet race event i did with my electric, 90% of drivers were teens/ adults. all the kids who came, were running around playing some game??? didnt care about the speed we were doing, and the crashes...
Old 06-21-2009, 07:42 PM
dittch
Banned

My buddies and I get together about every weekend and always have this problem. I don't mind it at first, but after the 6th or 7th group of people that come up it gets very annoying. I like to be nice and talk to the people, but have resorted to just acting like they aren't there. With all the people that come up, we would get about half the run time because we'd be answering all their stinking questions. I don't go out there to answer questions, I'm there to have a good time. I don't care what anyone thinks, ignoring them is the best option if you want to enjoy your bash session.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have this issue in my neighborhood. It doesn't bother me though. I did get the usual oh mines is faster or better from the kids but one kid made me feel stupid. This kid I would say about 10yrs old was saying that he had 2 monster trucks and that he ran with his dad. I looked at him and I was like yeah right kid. Then he asked if he could drive my RC10GT and I told him no its not a toy. After that he left and came back about 10 minutes later with a Savage. I just had a grin on my face cuz I felt dumb. At the same time after that I have wanted a Savage ever since. Lol.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:16 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I attract massive crowds with my 1/5 gas monster trucks, old and young.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 PM
worstluck

i think its more awkward when people at the track ask you to drive theirs. they say i want to see how fast it can go around. ill take it for a couple laps & help em get it tuned, but not go full bore. or when someone asks you to help with their setup when you cant even get your own dialed.

but no matter how annoying they get. we were all them once looking on in amazement.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:25 PM
nitroade

I usually bash with my 5 year old son at our local elementary school yard so inevitably, many kids and their fathers will show up. I don't really mind, they are usually pretty polite and just ask a whole lot of questions. I've taken to keeping a few business cards from my LHS to hand out andhave let a few kids try my Traxxas cars intraining mode of course. I seem to get a lot more kids and questions when we take the RC boats to the lake.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

I have had quite a few people come up and ask me what my car was and where I got it and if they can drive it. I sometimes allow people to drive it. Usually the only time is when Im in a big open field.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Damo_MadTruck

I am 14 and i have other kids coming up to me and they start asking me all these obvious questions. Im so annoyed though because almost every time i take my savage out for a drive at a park or anywhere some kid/s always have to be there and watch/ ask questions. I normally just pretend there not there. I remember when i had my 1/10 electric i had no where near as much people watching, but now i have a nitro and kids hear it and they want to come and have a look.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Damo_MadTruck

ORIGINAL: 3D 4 ME

These aremy answers to the most common questions asked by spectators: 1.really fast 2.over $300 3.no 4.get one at any hobby store 5.look it up

That is so true!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.