Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

how do you know when clutch shoes are worn out?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

how do you know when clutch shoes are worn out?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you know when clutch shoes are worn out?

I have almost 2 gallons through my Ofna Picco RTR and the people at the track say they bet my clutch shoes are almost done. How do I know when they need to be replaced?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: how do you know when clutch shoes are worn out?

Take the clutch apart and see how bad the shoes are. If you arent getting the punch you used to its time to replace. See if the shoes are carbon/plastic or aluminum.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Gex_61

Clutch shoes gradually wear out over time. Someone inexperienced with nitro RC might not know when it's time to replace them for the first time. The wear can be so little that it can be impossible to visually see when they need to be replaced. 2 gallons is quite a bit of run time for one set with my experience, although that depends on what car you have and the materials used. The people at your track might be noticing that your engine is reving high and not going anywhere fast. It will seem like your car has a slipper clutch that is set too loose (clutch shoes basically are the slipper clutch for nitro).

Go buy new clutch shoes.

Best case- on the first run with your new shoes, you will notice the difference for yourself and be able to tell when they need to be replaced the next time around. First hand experience is much better than the best answers you will get online.

Worst case- nothing changes. You now have a new set of clutch shoes, and judging by the current wear, you will never need to buy them ever again, although this is unlikely.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 PM
breezerboat

Good advice. I hope they are easy to put on. I will head to the hobby shop tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Sugafree

Here's some Worn out Shoes....the lower ones, (When the Springs starts leaving grooves in the Clutch bell you know there about done)

And they are Easy to change after you do it a few times, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Uul8NeYIM
Old 04-29-2019, 07:22 AM
Slate ace

Default From this

The vehicle wont move sometimes also like mine or it will just rev very high and then take off so slowly and wont get into speed