Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 Using a car battery as a power source >

Using a car battery as a power source

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Using a car battery as a power source

Old 08-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a car battery as a power source

Will a charger use a lot of energy from a car battery? I don't want the car battery to not have enough power to start the engine.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Default RE: Using a car battery as a power source

I don't know the amp rating on a car battery but I assure you that you can charge a few batteries on it and still be able to start your car.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 PM
My Feedback: (2)

do you mean 1:1 scale, than yes, they work great for that, or a duratrax starter box batt which is rated at 12v 7amp and comes with a wall charger of its own to charge up the duratrax batt. i use the later as my power source and it works fine for charging packs throughout the day at the track (i unplug when the charger is not in use and have a back-up 12v 4.2 amp one as well)
Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i charge my batteries ive charged 4-5 within a 1-2 hour peroid and have never had a prob
Old 08-27-2009, 12:29 AM

You do have to be careful b'cos the battery in your car is made for starting your car, not for deep discharge. It's typically a 12V, 60AH battery and you don't want to discharge the battery more than 10-20% on a regular basis. Which is between 6-12 AH worth of charging, more or less.

That said there are lead-acid batteries for general use, generally referred to as 'deep cycle' or 'deep discharge' batteries.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use a car battery for my triton charger. every 10-20 packs or so i put the car battery on a charger @ 2amps overnight. never had a problem.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 PM

I charged the first battery pack in under an hour at 2 amps. The packs are 3300 mah. The second one took longer than a hour and I stopped the charger because I thought maybe the car battery is low on power. The second pack is not fully charged. The car battery I'm using is used for a 2004 Toyota Matrix.