Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 What are the impacts of the popularity of 1/8 scale vehicles on the hobby? >

What are the impacts of the popularity of 1/8 scale vehicles on the hobby?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What are the impacts of the popularity of 1/8 scale vehicles on the hobby?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the impacts of the popularity of 1/8 scale vehicles on the hobby?

Here's an article regarding 1/8 vehicles vs the rest of the industry

<link removed by moderators>

Old 08-28-2009, 03:12 PM

Default RE: What are the impacts of the popularity of 1/8 scale vehicles on the hobby?

In my opinion, this hobby(or sport) runs in cycles. What is popular now may not be in 6 months. Something new will come along and that will be the new in thing. As far as killing the hobby, I don't think so.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:35 PM

Default RE: What are the impacts of the popularity of 1/8 scale vehicles on the hobby?

That article, to me, is a load of indecisive bs. He starts by saying 1/8 is pushing out 1/10 and ends by sayinf 1/10 is making a come-back. He needs to make up his mind. Also, his "research", if you can really call it that, is asking a few friends and posting an a few fourms. Give me a break, he never talked to any track owners nor did he talk to any manufacturers. What that says to me is that he really hs no idea what the industry is up to.
The RC "industry" is much, much, much more than 1/8 scale electric racers. Heck, it's a whole lot bigger than all the cars and trucks out there. he air side of the hobby dwarfs the surface side and the surface side is pretty darn big. We're in the middle of the worst economic times since the 1920's and still manufacturers are coming out with new cars, truck, buggies, planes, helis, boats, etc, etc, etc and further, I cannot seem to think of a single rc company that has went out of buisness, even in these hard times.

In short, the RC industry is FAR from dead.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Coming from a "magazine" that's both free and online should tip you off on the quality of the article. Actually, it's only a bit worse than the stuff you find in magazines you pay for.

Really just a long, drawn out, and confusing way to say the popular classes of cars cycle over time.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

That article, to me, is a load of indecisive bs. He starts by saying 1/8 is pushing out 1/10 and ends by sayinf 1/10 is making a come-back. He needs to make up his mind. Also, his ''research'', if you can really call it that, is asking a few friends and posting an a few fourms. Give me a break, he never talked to any track owners nor did he talk to any manufacturers. What that says to me is that he really hs no idea what the industry is up to.
The RC ''industry'' is much, much, much more than 1/8 scale electric racers. Heck, it's a whole lot bigger than all the cars and trucks out there. he air side of the hobby dwarfs the surface side and the surface side is pretty darn big. We're in the middle of the worst economic times since the 1920's and still manufacturers are coming out with new cars, truck, buggies, planes, helis, boats, etc, etc, etc and further, I cannot seem to think of a single rc company that has went out of buisness, even in these hard times.

In short, the RC industry is FAR from dead.
OM*G I Agree with you. Thats like saying Mini's in the early to mid 2000's killed the hobby. That is complete BS. The hobby changes, and will keep changing. A few years back NO ONE would even think speak as nitro being the slower then electrics.
As for anything dying. Even pro's say 1/10 onroad has been dying out for years. Its not dead but not too many onroads are being developed. Even I ask my LHS owner ever now in then whats going on in the hobby. After the Big explosion in crawlers everything sizzled down. Traxxas released the slash and in less then a year look how many other 1/10 short coarse trucks are on the market.

Im going to simply say. "NO!"
1/8 IS a part of the hobby.

They may spend alot of time and money racing and competing 1/8 off roads but much like how automakers spend ALOT of money and time racing, testing and competing sports cars. They both make more then just race vehicles
Old 08-28-2009, 04:12 PM

For as long as 1/8ths have been around, if they were killing the hobby, it'd be dead by now.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Couldn't agree more, this 'class of the month' thing has been going on since the hobby began and it never killed anything off. It's just something you learn to live with and enjoy. Every time there is a major change or development in the hobby you get a bunch of people ranting off like this but in the end things just continue to evolve and the hobby goes on regardless. A lot of these trends are localized anyways, what happens in one city and its surroundings can be totally different from the rest-of-world.

BTW if I were an english teacher this article would get an 'F'. The writer uses a lot of 'fluff' words and sentence structure that is cloudy and imprecise, it really doesn't say anything! He shows his bias in assuming the truth before even showing it, in the second paragraph of the article. The article that follows is filled with more straw men and red herrings than I could fit in a typical apartment garbage dumpster. For instance that racers choose vehicles based on looks. He seems to be living in the past in regards to the SC trucks, discussing the events of the past several months as if they are his own prediction that has not yet happened! He presents no real, actual evidence, he cites no sources, don't even get me started here...
Old 08-28-2009, 05:01 PM

Wow guys you are in fire

First, we don't say the industry is slowing down. We say the industry is getting bigger and bigger because of the popularity of the 1/8 scale BUT the 1/8 scale vehicles is so popular that a lor of 1/10 scale racers switched to race 1/8. We also say the 1/10 will not die mainly because of the SC trucks.

The conclusion is... As long as RC is popular and attract more and more fans every days. it is good for the RC industry.

I've changed the title for something less confusing...

And concerning my English, I'm very sorry. English is not my mother tongue but I'm making a lot of efforts to improve my English. I'm 37 but writing English like a 10 years old students...
Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: MyRCBox

And concerning my English, I'm very sorry. English is not my mother tongue but I'm making a lot of efforts to improve my English. I'm 37 but writing English like a 10 years old students...
...and you're Canadian[:-]
Old 08-28-2009, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: losifiend

[sm=lol.gif] So nice that you could point that out for us Losifiend
Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 AM

Wow guys you are in fire

First, we don't say the industry is slowing down. We say the industry is getting bigger and bigger because of the popularity of the 1/8 scale BUT the 1/8 scale vehicles is so popular that a lor of 1/10 scale racers switched to race 1/8. We also say the 1/10 will not die mainly because of the SC trucks.

The conclusion is... As long as RC is popular and attract more and more fans every days. it is good for the RC industry.

I've changed the title for something less confusing...

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that RCU mods let you keep posting since most of your posts seem to be to promote your own website in some way or form.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:42 AM

MyRCBox,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy

Can you identify which of these techniques you are using in your report? If you want to improve your writing for the future, read it and learn it. Then you can recognize it and stop when you see one of your own arguments going down this path. Another thing that can help is peer review. Before putting up an article, show it to your friends in the hobby and ask them what they think. Find people who are willing to criticize you rather than hold anything back.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Well, I'm not sure how I should take it. In the future, I'll take care of my writing.

As for the technique, I first wrote that 1/8 are very popular and people slowly changed their 1/10s for 1/8 vehicles. It might be true or flase, it depends on where you are living. Next, I wrote the SC trucks are popular and this was good for the 1/10 scale. I concluded by saying that no matter what racers and bashers prefer or buy, this was good anyway for the hobby. As long as the hobby gets more exposure, it is good for our hobby.

Hope you understand what I mean
Old 08-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Actually, RC fans tend to collect RCs. They do not get rid of their 10th sclae to get an 8th scale when 8th is the rave, they keep them! Then, when 10th is the thing again, they pull out their 10th scales and run those again.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Actually, RC fans tend to collect RCs. They do not get rid of their 10th sclae to get an 8th scale when 8th is the rave, they keep them! Then, when 10th is the thing again, they pull out their 10th scales and run those again.
Is it time yet?
Or should I continue to run the Savage XL?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

Is it time yet?

Vintage Worlds, late September.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 PM

Is it time yet?

Nice RC10. I have an original RC10T, the one with white parts and front narrow tires. It has only ran 2-3 times. I'll install electronics and drive it again.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Is it time yet?

Wow! Holy Nostalgia, BatMan!

Does that thing even work?
Old 08-29-2009, 06:55 PM

Mine still runs fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79088.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1265450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73428.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1265451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51646.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	1265452  
Old 08-29-2009, 07:08 PM

Here.
See for yourself!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9KBuFyBlNM[/youtube]
Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Itotally agree, why would you want to sell something for half of what you have into it just to get the new rave. The only time I sell something is when Iget a great deal on it and can actually make a decent profit (like double what Ipaid for it)

Old 08-29-2009, 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: losifiend

Umm... I'm not sure if you realize this but... he's French Canadian so ya, his english will suck, his FRENCH on the other hand will be very good. Maybe if you paid attention in school you'd know the history on why Canada has two official languages...

If you went to San Diego you'd hear more spanish than english wouldn't you? I'm a Canadian yet I know that....

As for the article... well everyone has their own viewpoints and the www makes it easy for everyone to sound/look/pretend to be an expert. If you disagree with that he's written then that's your choice, the fact that it's on his own website well... freedom of speech and all that.

I do agree that to promote your own website with an article like that on a forum is a little cheezy though. Beyond the whole english thing, it's not a very well thought out, written or presented article.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 AM

Druss, I entirely agree that the op's engilsh and grammer should not be attacked - and if you read my replys, I do not. I actually find it comendable that he is learning a second language and able to communicate in it as welll as he does. Having said that I will qualify it by saying that he is from a country with two "official" languages and he probably should know both. I do understand that there are some strong cultural influances that work against that being a common practice though. I am friends with several English speaking Canadians who despise the French speaking.
As to your analogy of Spanish being spoken alot in San Diago, that may well be true BUT in the US there is only one official language.

As for the article, well, I stick by what I said in my first post. It is poorly researched and poorly written - in the sense that it is indecisive and nieve, not in the grammer sense. It is far more of and opinion piece but was presented as a factual piece. Of course he can post whatever he wants on his own website but by inviting a wider audiance to review and comment on it he opens himself to a far broader audience with a much bigger knowledge base. He asks if a particular scale of surface vehicle is killing a hobby that is so much bigger than a simple scale of car that it makes the original question laughable. It's kind of like asking "Is the mini skirt killing the clothing industry".
The obvious answer to both questions is - Of course not!!!

As to his posting it on another site, I find it to be more than "cheesey". I find his skirting of the rules of the site to be rude and disrespectful. Which, IMHO, degrades any creditability that his article or opinion may have, or have had.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 AM

This thread is turning into a politics affair... It doesn't make sense.

The fact that Canada has two "official" languages doesn't mean all canadians speak English and French. I think, you must spend few times in Canada to understand what is going on here about French/English peoples. I live in Qc (you know, the frog province that wanted to separate from Canada, guess why?) and extremely proud to speak French and also extremely proud to still speaking French with all English speaking provinces and states around our province. This is not because I don't agree with someone, it doesn't mean I don't respect (spelled exactly the same in French and English) this person. If you don't like my English, I assume you will not like my French for sure

Now, if you think the article doesn't worth to be read, this is your opinion and I respect it. If you think you have all the knowledge and writing skills, go ahead, write one. Concerning posting articles on different forums, I've asked moderators of all forums long time ago before I started to post my stuff on their forums. I'm not as cheeezy as you think!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double post !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.