Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Dynamite platinum .21 tuning problem

Old 08-31-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamite platinum .21 tuning problem

I recently purchased a dynamite platinum .21 motor for my revo and actually got to take it out today (lovely NY never stops raining). It has already been broken in (on a motor stand). I had the needles set to factory break in which of course is WAY rich. After toying with it and about a 1/2 tank later it tuned up to 215 degree's and a rather smooth acceleration. Hitting second is rather hairy as I am use to my rather worn out 3.3 which had some bearing issues After I was done for the day I came home and really took a look at the motor. I noticed that factory settings where 3 1/2 out on the high - and in tune it was only 1 full turn out. Is this normal? The low end was about 1 out where factory was 2. The piston and head where a a slight amber color which looks normal from what I have been reading. I wiped a the piston off with a q-tip back to the chrome polish without even pressing too hard on it.

All this sound normal ?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Default RE: Dynamite platinum .21 tuning problem

Seems some people have had problems with the traxxas tuned pipe on big blocks. It's almost like the truck has too much pressure and is blasting the fuel into the motor. I'm sure that's not a good thing....
Old 09-01-2009, 03:50 PM

If you're running with good performance and crisp throttle response and a good smoke trail then I'd say that you are just fine. In addation, if you're only hitting 215 after a good high speed run at that tune then, again, you're fine. I actually think that 215 may be a bit on the cool side but, if everything else is running as you like, I'd not worry about that either.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:20 PM

The main problem is I was running when it was 80 degree's out... what do you do when it's 90 and you can't lean it out enough to get up to temp? Tuning goes both ways. Running too cold blows connecting rods as well as hot

A good thing I didn't think of was add fuel line to the return (pressure side) to reduce the pressure. I slightly shortened mine when it broke the day I installed the mortor. I'll see what happens friday. It seemed to run good just hard to keep it up to temp.