Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Question about Changing Fuel

Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Changing Fuel

I need to know about Fuel. Until Now ive been driving over an hour to get Fuel S&W 20% for my rs4 3 evo+ but to be honest im sick of drivign that far. I found a place almost local about 15-20 mins from that that carried Byrons 20% for about 3 bucks more. Would it be ok to switch Fuel to cut down on the Driving?

The S&W is: 25.99 per gal
The Byrons is: 28.99 per gal
Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 AM

Default RE: Question about Changing Fuel

Yes....just make sure to watch your tune....You'll more than make up the cost in driving time and gas...plus the Byrons is supposed to be a top rate product....
Old 08-31-2009, 03:10 PM

Would it be ok to switch Fuel to cut down on the Driving?
Absolutely. You might need to re-tune your engine for that fuel. They may be both 20% nitro, but oil content and type is probably different.

If you can plan ahead and know how much fuel you need, you can try buying them on-line.

I like going to the Hobby Shops, but I end up taking too much time in the store and spending too much for stuff I dont need.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:58 AM

ORIGINAL: ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Absolutely. You might need to re-tune your engine for that fuel. They may be both 20% nitro, but oil content and type is probably different.

If you can plan ahead and know how much fuel you need, you can try buying them on-line.

I like going to the Hobby Shops, but I end up taking too much time in the store and spending too much for stuff I dont need.
The problem with buying fuel on line is the shipping is high due to the hazmat fee. Anything considered hazardous(flamable) is pricey to ship

Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: OvalRacer99

ORIGINAL: ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

The problem with buying fuel on line is the shipping is high due to the hazmat fee. Anything considered hazardous(flamable) is pricey to ship

Yes...Tower is $22, and A-Main is $50.....and that's in addition to the regular shipping rate....The only way I'd buy fuel online was if there was no LHS within a 3 hour drive....
Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 PM

yeah im sure ill have to retune. Could it be possible that switching from S&W to byrons gen 2 I could see a decrease in temps? or is that all about tuning
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 PM

It's possible to see a drop, or increase in temps when changing fuel. That's due to the different percentages of oil and also the different types, brands, formulation, etc of the oil and other additives. Still tuning should allow you to keep the temps where they need to be.
Having said that, you should not be trying to tune the engine to a specific temp. Tune it for performance, sound, smoke and then check the temp for a reference.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 PM

If you buy them in quart size bottles you only pay regular shipping. It can only be sent via ground transport.

I have purchased from Tower Hobbies, and RCboyz, and only charged my $9.99 for shipping, I even had some other parts with the order. Its well worth it with combined shipping.

It would cost me way more to gas up my SUV if I have to drive 3 hours. I rather spent my time on my RC, rather than drive to the store.

But again, if you are into RC, you cant beat the buying experience being in the hobby shops. Its like being a kid in the candy store.

That's just only my opinion though.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 PM

well the hobby shop that im near is only 15 minutes compared to rednecks that i was going to that was over an hour. i can drive 15 minutes no problem was just getting sick of driving an hour. rednecks only carries S&W and walts who is 3 bucks more carries Byrons gen 2. not worried about apying 3 bucks more since id spend that in gas driving to rednecks. I dont tune to temps i tune to performance. i do keep an eye on temps anyways just to see where they stand.