Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Question-What is Ready To Run

Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 PM
My Feedback: (63)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question-What is Ready To Run

I have a question that just came up and I wanted to get some input from others.
I offered something in trade and I said it was ready to run. It is Electric and has all the electronics. It has an ESC, Motors RX and TX. All installed. I stated in the email that it just needs batteries both for the truck and the radio. The person responded "Then it is not Ready to Run". That made me wonder, what is ready to run?
I was under the impression that Ready to Run meant all the electronics are there so for electric you add batteries and for Nitro you add fuel. I am not posting this to say this person was wrong or anything. I just wondered if there is a rule or even a guideline for what constitutes RTR. In the future I want to be sure I know what is generally accepted before I post anything else for sale or trade.
Thanks in advance.
Scott
Old 09-01-2009, 01:26 PM

Default RE: Question-What is Ready To Run

Ready to run: RTR, when referring to RC cars, means Ready-To-Run or Ready-To-Race. These are in contrast to the 'kit' cars that require assembly before they can be used. However RTR, or Ready-To-Run, doesn't mean that you can immediately begin thrashing the car around, as there are still steps that need to be taken to ensure the long life of your car and prevent burnt out motors

Basicly an RTR comes with everything to run the car PERIOD But does NOT come with batts/Charger or Fuel. Must be purchased seperately to run the vehicle
Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
My Feedback: (32)

I think you were right to classify it as RTR.  I always take RTR as having everything with the exception of batteries and charger (unless it is listed with those items). 
Old 09-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say you're right. RTR means you get everything minus the energy source, be it batteries or fuel. In the end though, when dealing with private parties online, it's best to simply clarify exactly what is involved. Terminology only creates ambiguity, which can lead to all kinds of unsavory situations.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:45 PM

Personally, I think that the definition of RTR may be changing.
At one time it strictly and absolutely meant that it came with everything EXCEPT batteries, chargers and fuel. But that is becoming less and less true. There are many vehicles that are now coming with batteries and chargers. For example the new Traxxas 1/16 Revo comes with everything except 8 AA batterys for the transmitter. The small Blade CX heil comes with a lipo and charger. The Revo 2.4ghz model comes with a recahrgable rx battery and a battery for the ez-start and chargers for both batteries, it just needs fuel and 8 AA batterys. I could list more examples but you get the idea. Now I'm not sayng that all vehicles are coming that way but it is becoming more and more common.

So, while I don't think that you listed your truck incorrectly, and you did say it needs batterys and chargers, I don't think that the potential buyer was completely wrong. I will say that I thought his reply to you was rude and exposed his inexperience. Had he properly read your ad he would have known that the truck did not come with the batteries and charger.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM

It does get confusing and we can blame it all on the manufacturers. Some of the RTR's do come with batteries and charger, some don't. Regardless of the title, it's up to each person to read the full description.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree ^
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
My Feedback: (63)

Thank you all for the responses. I am glad I wrote the ad the way I did but I was afraid that I was way off on RTR. I guess you are right that I should not get bogged down in terminology but be sure to list everything and exactly what is included. I was so shocked when I heard that and I wanted to clarify from others on the site. If ready to run includes batteries and chargers than boy have I been mislead..
LOL
Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 AM

dont stress it. not all RTR's come with batts/Chargers YET. someday im sure they all will. you will always run into the jerks out in the world just ignore them not worth the headache.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 AM

may be the person who said it did not know what RTR MENT I HAVE AN MMGT 3.0 WHEN I GOT IT IT SAID RTR ON THE BOX I GOT IT BRAND NEW BUT I HAD TO GO OUT AND GET , AIR FLITER OIL, 12 AA BATTERIES AND FUEL B4 I COULD RUN IT, BUT I BEEN LOOKING AROUND I HAVE EVEN SEEN SUM THAT SAY FULL RTR THOSE THE ONES THAT MOSTLY COME WITH EVERY THING IN THE BOX
Old 09-02-2009, 01:20 PM

You will NEVER get fuel in the box for a nitro, you may get batteries for an electric though.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
My Feedback: (3)

rtr means everything except batteries/fuel/charger as every1 else said..
Old 09-02-2009, 03:19 PM

some of the hobby stores here sell the fuel in the box with the r/c
Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct in how the item was sold.. I nor would anyone else think its anything else unless stated clearly on the sale... I've sold many items on ebay as well as other sites and NEVER included the batteries or fuel.... I think you just sold something to someone looking for a freebie.... Yes they do exsist out there.... LOL....

DaveG55.... I see where you are going with this and its mostly Traxxas that does this.. It a good marketing tool.. As far as Helicopters go, they almost have to especially the Blade and especially the MCX... you cannot get these anywhere else.. the battery is tiny and it uses a very specialized charger... Most of my RTR helicopters came with batteries and chargers... just the way they are....Just about everything else that listed as RTR needs a batteries, chargers and or fuel....

My T-maxx 3.3 came with a charger for the RX battery.. I've never used it however... I have some high quality chargers that I trust more than the free chargers that are included... The Battery is working out great though...