Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Best choice for 6 year-old w/ newbie parents

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Best choice for 6 year-old w/ newbie parents

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:47 AM
babynuggo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best choice for 6 year-old w/ newbie parents

I realize that I'm a bit of a fish out of water in this forum, but I hope you will indulge me because I wanted to seek the unbiased opinions of experts.

My son is six years old and very enthusiastic about the idea of getting a rc monster truck. I grew up with a big brother who spent his childhood building and crashing (oh, and flying) rc airplanes, but other than this I have no experience with this hobby. Neither does my husband. But,

I am hoping that someone could recommend an appropriate vehicle for us. My sense is that the "toy grade" versions seem to be of inferior quality, and I do like the idea that this could be a hobby that will grow with my child (and perhaps even become a "family thing"), so I am willing to make a bit of an investment. But I would hope to keep it at around the $200 range, if possible.

We live in a brownstone in the center of Philadelphia, so don't have a lot of wide open space. It would be great if this could be something that Gray could use a bit indoors and outdoors in parking lots and neighborhood parks. Given these space constraints, a smaller (mini or micro) versions sounds intriguing.

The thing needs to have enough power to maneuver through uneven grass and up and over a ramps and some hills. The ability to do wheelies would be a huge feature.

After he gets the hang of it, an adult will be nearby, but perhaps not closely supervising. So, we'd like to stay away from something that could potentially be too dangerous.

Any suggestions that members might have regarding the size/type of car to get, and which models are the best (and best value for the money) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM
bigsteel
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Best choice for 6 year-old w/ newbie parents

any of these 1/10 scale short course trucks would be great for a young kid.they dont pull wheelies but are very easyt o work on and dont cost alot to upgrade in the future.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_44_1171

here are some true monster trucks that you can check out,there fun durable and cheap and like the SC trucks are easy to upgrade in the future.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_44_1257

any of the trucks in the 200$ range i showed you would be good candidates for a young kid and parents that are new to the hobby.parts are everywhere and cheap.now farther down the road you may want to get something larger and personally if you do id go with a brushless HPI savage flux, or a traxxas revo.there a bit more expensive in the 500$ range,but are darn near indestructible and are FAST...josh
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a durable Monster Truck then take a look at the Traxxas Stampede.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 AM
-SomeGuy-

I dont know much about mini/micro RCs or about electric RCs. I do know that the LST is one of the best monster trucks ever. Solid, great handling and made by a company that is well known. I wouldnt reccomend a 1/8th scale nitro for a 6 year old but they do make a mini and micro version that i have heard good reviews from.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB0215

Old 09-15-2009, 10:54 AM
SureToCrash

Sounds to me that you should look at the [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/erevo7108/trx_erevo7108.htm]Mini Revo[/link]. Its small, fast, powerful and cheap.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

^^^ +1

You can get the brushless for about $275 shipped brand new off of ebay. (That's where I got mine and I have no problems.) Out of the box with the supplied battery, it will do about 30mph and in your case, the best thing is that there is a "beginner mode," which allows you to limit the throttle to only 50%.

It comes with everything you need...BUT, only one battery and a few hour charger=a bummer for most people. A decent charger (will charge each battery in less than an hour) will cost you no more than $40 for this application and a few more batteries will cost you no more than $30 a battery.

Oh, and it can take two batteries in series to go 50+mph...crazy stuff and wheelies will be very easy.

My mini E-Revo brushless, 6 1700mah batteries, and y-harness cost about $450. I already had a charger for my other trucks, so I didn't need one.

For you, I would say that 30mph would be more than enough for a beginner, so the truck would cost $275, a few more batteries would cost about $60, and a charger $40, so you'd be looking at less than $400...double what you want, but I do not think you can get anything else that has the potential and great features like this truck.

By the way...you're a cool mom! [8D]
Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

babynuggo - You have just described a Traxxas stampede. The stampede or "Pede' is 2 wheel drive, water proof, tough as nails, reasonably cheap and has great parts availability when something does break. It's also tall enough to be driven just about anywhere. it also comes with a training mode so you can slow it down for indoor running.

The Pede is also a truck he can grow with. There are literally dozens of comapnies that make after market parts for these trucks so he will never be bored.

And it's only about $150 but you will need some batteries and a charger.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

I would add if you get one just make sure to order RPM front arms off ebay as spares for the stock as my 10y/o nephew learned from almost a week down time, they are about $7 and easy to replace. Other than that his is standing up pretty well to the beating he's been giving it.

Other replacement parts are also pretty cheap from what I've seen. It also is pretty light so if it hits something it shouldn't do much damage. And it has a somewhat low top speed out of the box.

Seeing you also want something usable indoors there's the option of the duratrax vendetta a 1/16th scale Truggy or Buggy (the truggy comes with a better battery and parts from reviews I read). Duratrax warranties the parts for a full year from date of purchase and they only cost around $160 and come with batteries and a charger.

I would not recommend anything electric over the 1/10th scale seeing at that point its a weapon on wheels and can do some serious damage to anyone or anything it hits seeing most weigh over 10-15lbs and can reach over 40 Mph very fast.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Van Pelt

what about a HPI WheelieKing, 4x4 electric?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
babynuggo

You all have been so great! Thank you for giving some thought to the matter. I'm looking into all suggestions, so if anyone else has thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

I'm still debating what must be a very basic question, though. What scale should I be looking at? I'm afraid I'm not clear on the pros and cons of the 1/0, minis, micros, and all else. Given that we live in a sort of compact, urban environment (and in a home without a lot of open floor space darn those Victorians!) should I lean toward something smaller, or is this not the right way to look at it?

Thanks again, guys/gals! You've been terrific.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

+1

The stampede XL5 is an inexpensive truck that runs great right out of the box. It can wheelie, do jumps, run through grass and is durable.

You won't outgrow it either, as there are a massive number of upgrades available
as your son's (and/or husband's) interest increases.

For a 6 year old, I would stick to electric as Nitro presents safety concerns and is more difficult to enjoy without open spaces.

The Stampede is 1:10th scale, and will run 25mph in stock form with a 6 cell battery. It is considered a monster truck (Aka larger tires, more ground clearance and long travel suspension). Minis are fun too, but tend to be more brittle - especially with a new (younger) driver.

Check out the stampede here: http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ampede3605.htm
Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
SureToCrash

Well as someone mentioned the 1/10 scale trucks weigh about 10+ pounds and go about 40mph. This is probably not a good idea for a 6 year old, a hit from a monster truck will hurt. The micro weighs about 2 pounds and goes 30mph (this can be changed to more or less speed) so its a good idea for a young one.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 PM
babynuggo

Ten pounds sounds like a lotta truck, but broken trucks mean lotta tears.  I'm pretty handy, but I don't know... 

Argh!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 PM
SureToCrash

Yes, 10 pounds at 40 mph is probably not safe for a 6 year old to use unatended. The chances of some getting hit with a 40 mph sledgehammer isn't something to take chances on. The micro REVO is small and the speed is programable which is a big plus for kids. The revo is also very easy to work on and parts should be easy to come by.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 PM
john01374

If you are refering to something like an E-maxx then yes it weights a little over 10 lbs. A pede with a battery in it is between 4 and 5 lbs and doesn't get anywhere near 40 mph stock.

I'd stay away from the Mini's. I've owned a few and they're just too fragile for a 6 yr old.

You can always do what I've done here. This is a basically stock pede with Imex tires and a crawler motor. Geared with a 12T pinion it does about 10 mph but will go anywhere and runs over an hour on a basic 3800mah battery. Witha 21T pinion it run about 16mph and runs for around 45 mins. I build this for a 4 yr old 2 years ago and he hasn't hurt it yet.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 PM
babynuggo

Wow.  You should be very proud of this monster!  Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:00 PM
john01374

Yes. The kid loves it and it's still fast enough to be fun for me. He runs at least one pack through it everyday weather permitting. It was a lot nicer looking 2 years ago

Almost forgot. In training mode it only runs about 5 mph but the battery last forever. Perfect way for them to learn control.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Damo_MadTruck

If i were you i would definitely get him the Traxxas Stampede XL5.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:26 PM
DaveG55

The problem you have is that the pede will be a bit big for indoor use but a mini will not be good for outside in grass. The mini will do ok on pavement and dirt but grass will not be it's friend.
Personally, I think that the guys suggesting the pede have the right idea. It may be a bit big for indoors but not overly so. And as has been mentioned time nd again, it's a good durable truck with tons of parts available and one your son will be able to keep and grow into.

Hope you all enjoy the coming new toy.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Nesal

My vote goes for the stampede mom.... great truck, inexpensive, excellent value for money...
Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 PM
cumquat

this would have been better placed in a different place ut the one that comes to mind is the wheelie king. besides that and the barma i dont know of any hpi's (with the exception of the sprints and e10's) under $200 rtr. something right up your alley is the mini e-revo, its more than you where looking to spend but there arent that really good 4wd are under $250. the mioni revo does 30 mph with the pack that comes with it so he wont want anything faster any time soon and when he, you or your husband wont to go faster just get a second pack (not a bad idea from the get go), a second charger (gets you running faster) and a series adapter and you are doing 50 mph. other than that check the associated and duratrax 1/18th scales, they run $120-$220 plus battery pack(s) and charger. 1/10 scale 2wd stadium trucks make great first rc's and the traxxas rustler is now water proof so he can run in the rain and snow.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

Speaking of the Stampede XL5 i have a very young friend who runs one all the time and he really beats the truck to death and it keeps taking it. the stampede is excellent and he will love it.

25-30MPH is plenty for a 6 year old
Old 09-15-2009, 07:12 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: babynuggo

I realize that I'm a bit of a fish out of water in this forum, but I hope you will indulge me because I wanted to seek the unbiased opinions of experts.

My son is six years old and very enthusiastic about the idea of getting a rc monster truck. I grew up with a big brother who spent his childhood building and crashing (oh, and flying) rc airplanes, but other than this I have no experience with this hobby. Neither does my husband. But,

I am hoping that someone could recommend an appropriate vehicle for us. My sense is that the ''toy grade'' versions seem to be of inferior quality, and I do like the idea that this could be a hobby that will grow with my child (and perhaps even become a ''family thing''), so I am willing to make a bit of an investment. But I would hope to keep it at around the $200 range, if possible.

We live in a brownstone in the center of Philadelphia, so don't have a lot of wide open space. It would be great if this could be something that Gray could use a bit indoors and outdoors in parking lots and neighborhood parks. Given these space constraints, a smaller (mini or micro) versions sounds intriguing.

The thing needs to have enough power to maneuver through uneven grass and up and over a ramps and some hills. most all ofroaders have enough power to launch themself 3 feet in the air

The ability to do wheelies would be a huge feature.not all will wheelie stock, best bet is a dual motor/dual battery pack chassis. both the mini revo and the wheelie king will wheelie on damand from what i hear

After he gets the hang of it, an adult will be nearby, but perhaps not closely supervising. So, we'd like to stay away from something that could potentially be too dangerous.ok, no plutonium powered knife-bumpered 10 pounders then

Any suggestions that members might have regarding the size/type of car to get, and which models are the best (and best value for the money) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

thought i would be more spicific than my first post. i would look into the duratrax evader ext if money is a real issue.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

the mini e-revo was mentioned above but only the brushless was metention'd there is a brushed version, think of your cars engine as a brushed motor good zip and all, now think of an Nitro Daggsters enigine, thats something close to the power differance between the two brushless is way more powerful and if you can buy it stock if not the e revo vxl would be a good truck, i dought it'll have nearly the same top end
15-20mph, and no wheelies, but it'll be WAY more controlable, a rc car at 30mph off road can be very hard to drive for a beginner, so i'd recomend this...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXYAS2**&P=ML
mini e-revo brushed, and the great thing about mini's
extra batts are only $25-30 for a good pack not 70-80 like with 1/10's

the lug
Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Another good thing about the Stampede is that you can set the car to go with only 50% power. So he can first get used to it, then go crazy with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.