Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Questions about a lipo plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 PM
camaross427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about a lipo plug

HI, so i have a question about this
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9435&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_4000mAh_2S1P_30C_hard case_pack]link[/link]

if i was to buy that battery, could i use

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXGN5&P=7]link[/link]

that connector? I would solder on a traxxas wire, but i don't have the equipment to do it, and am not buying it to solder one battery. The wire's on that battery look like it would connect to that but i'm not sure, anyone know?

Thanks!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Druss

Default RE: Questions about a lipo plug

Don't use a connector for tamiya period. If your esc has one then I suggest instead of the connector you take the battery and esc to your local hobby shop and ask them to do the soldering for you. Or ask a friend. Hell send it to me and I'll solder everything for you....
Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 PM
camaross427

Ok thanks, but that wasn't so much my question..tamiya's work well enough for me..and i'm sure they have to make a traxxas version of that adapter...but will it work? that's all i want to know...

sorry if that came off a bit rude, maybe i'll bring it to the hobby shop then, but i still want to know if this would work.

thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 10:29 PM
BigTb17

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a connector on that battery. The wires go behind it in the picture and it doesn't show a plug.

What is the battery going to be used in (and what motor/ESC)?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely don't use a Tamiya connector for running with a lipo, but if it's part of your charge adapter it's fine since the current is really low. But never let an ESC draw through a Tamiya connector.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: camaross427

Ok thanks, but that wasn't so much my question..tamiya's work well enough for me..and i'm sure they have to make a traxxas version of that adapter...but will it work? that's all i want to know...

sorry if that came off a bit rude, maybe i'll bring it to the hobby shop then, but i still want to know if this would work.

thanks
I believe it does come with an EC3 connector (generic name) so yes it should work as long as you're sure on the whole male/female connector side of things. That connector will connect to the esc fine, make sure it will connect to the battery properly.

I'm telling you right now though that it would be a waste of money. Quite frankly, you'd be wasting your money on that lipo if you use that tamiya connector. It's such high resistance that people have melted them using race matched nimh batteries much less lipos. You won't be getting the full benefits of a lipo using that connector.

That said, it's your money so if you want to use that connector then by all means...

By what you said, are you looking for a male ec3 to female traxxas?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...e-Traxxas-Plug
Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 AM
DaveG55

Listen to these guys. They are telling you the truth. You use a high draw lipo and melt one of those connectors and it shorts out you can easily destroy the battery, esc or both.
Any LHS can solder on any connector you want and it will be a much better situation.
Or, you could go buy a soldering iron and learn to do this yourself. It's easy to do.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:44 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of those batteries and the first thing I did was remove the EC3 (helicopter) plug and solder on a Deans plug.. If you are running a Traxxas vehicle you can install a traxxas plug... The Tamiya plug was iffy even with brushed motors.. Since you didn't state what you are running I would think its an old style traxxas or similar vehicle... There are several things you should be able to do in this hobby... One of the major being soldering... you don't have to spend a fortune on soldering equiptment either... a $7 hobbico 60 watt iron works fine and solder and deans plugs are only a couple of bux... Or spend a few $$ and have the hobby shop do it... Buying a lipo and running a Tamiya plug is a problem finding a place to happen.. It will melt and short out.. the last thing you want is to try and put out a Lipo fire.... As Druss offered and so will I.. send me the Battery and ESC and I will solder and even put the correct plugs on for you as well... One other thing... what charger do you have... You need a Lipo specific charger with balancing for those batteries...
Old 09-16-2009, 03:06 PM
camaross427

ORIGINAL: Druss

ORIGINAL: camaross427

thanks
I believe it does come with an EC3 connector (generic name) so yes it should work as long as you're sure on the whole male/female connector side of things. That connector will connect to the esc fine, make sure it will connect to the battery properly.

I'm telling you right now though that it would be a waste of money. Quite frankly, you'd be wasting your money on that lipo if you use that tamiya connector. It's such high resistance that people have melted them using race matched nimh batteries much less lipos. You won't be getting the full benefits of a lipo using that connector.

That said, it's your money so if you want to use that connector then by all means...

By what you said, are you looking for a male ec3 to female traxxas?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...e-Traxxas-Plug
thanks, that's actually exactly what i was looking for!