Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Good beginner Nitro RC car/truck

Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Bluethunder3320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good beginner Nitro RC car/truck

how old is it?? if its not got the new trx 3.3 get it, i suggested tht to my friend who has a 6 year old stampeede on all original parts
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
rc89

The car is brand new we just got it for him two days after christmas
Old 01-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Bluethunder3320

oh wow haha then its new. just curious, what % of nitro are you running it? if its 20%, its normal, 10-15% doesnt get as high rpms. its gas powered, right?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 AM
rc89

Ya its way new and no this is an electric stampede sorry probably should have specified but ya its an electric car and he wants it to go faster
Old 01-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Bluethunder3320

ohh, that changes it!! you can look into a castle mamba system, its a better motor and speed control. youd probably want it brushless, and for that a lipo battery pack, and all this should total $150-$250, but its all you can really do, the stampeede isnt a fast truck. one other alternative is a 7 cell battery, which gives more power than a usual 6 cell. theese are usually $30-$60... im telling you, the rc hobby is expensive!!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM
rc89

Ya i agree this is an expensive hobby but i love it its so much fun hey wat kinda engine shpould i uprade too? cuz i have a .18 on my x cellerator wat would be the best engine to make it faster??
Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you also could pick up a hobbywing Brushless ESC/motor combo a 60A one is about $100 shipped
Put a 8.5T BL ESC/motor combo in my Brama 10b and snapped its rear end off after 5 mins (HPI made the Brama out of REALLY low grade plastic) and destroyed one of the diff gears(that too had plastic which broke...). Stampede should be able to handel it though seeing it was made to run the VXL brushless setup
But for the 5 mins it ran before having a chassis failure it ran faster than hell
Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
rc89

Ok guys question time again, so ok i got the x cellerator and i am wondering am i supposed to let it idle for awhile before i start driving it? or what? and is there any way to change frequencys on the remote controller i have? i have an airtronics but i have to change it becuz me and my brother are running on the same channel which is 4 so please help me out guys, thank
Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

l agree with syco venom, a cheap nitro will have little issues in most cases, there just not designed as good.
Spend 300 or more on a nireo.
Or look at E-Bay, and find a TRUGGY.
For a beginner, a truggy is ideal, 4x4,  you get to see the raw mechanics and how it all works with a very fast pull down, MT do take more time to work on, and 2wd's are in my opinion rubbish with nitro.
There not as cheap new, but second hand you will probably get an inferno or the like for around 250$ in good nik. Much stronger than a stadium truck or jato.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 PM
DirtDevil928

well he can upgrade to the brushless motor. . . but id just recomend that he get a diffrent truck i bought one for my 11yr old nephew and after a week or so it was allready to slow for him so we upgraded it and that was good for him for about a month so i then got rid of that and got him a HPI savage x with a axil 32 on it and set it up like the 5 savages i have for myself. . . over the years i have beat mine down and they just keep on going so i just keep upgrading parts now i have one that i built extended TVP's, a peak 32 with NOS and the name really fits it now. it is a SAVAGE MONSTER first rc ive seen that can smoke the tires just by stabbing the throttle. . . so my recomendation is get rid of the stampede and get a HPI SAVAGE X
Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 AM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

The HPI Firestorm is a great truck. It's plenty fast, can handle almost any terrain, one of the least expensive hobby grade rides, wide range of parts support, and is darn near indestructible under any normal jumping/running. Or, as someone suggested earlier, go for the HPI MT2. Similar to the storm, but this one is 4wd. I'm selling a used one I have in the marketplace (sorry for the self promotion). PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Ryan0

I know it's out of your budget but consider saving for a HPI Savage X... I was gonna buy a T-MAXX and I decided to do some research. Everyone said the savage was a better truck, bigger, meaner, and most of all, nearly unbreakable... I do some really serious bashing with mine, vid below and all I have broken is a body and 1 spur gear so far... It is so tough I kick it around, drop it, drive it off ledges etc and nothing will stop her! Only reason the spur gear went is cause I ran it o may times in close succession and the plastic spur gear broke when hot... I allow it to cool now after every tank and it hasnt gone since!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVcrCxIO7jQ[/youtube]
Old 03-05-2011, 01:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ryan0

I know it's out of your budget but consider saving for a HPI Savage X... I was gonna buy a T-MAXX and I decided to do some research. Everyone said the savage was a better truck, bigger, meaner, and most of all, nearly unbreakable... I do some really serious bashing with mine, vid below and all I have broken is a body and 1 spur gear so far... It is so tough I kick it around, drop it, drive it off ledges etc and nothing will stop her! Only reason the spur gear went is cause I ran it o may times in close succession and the plastic spur gear broke when hot... I allow it to cool now after every tank and it hasnt gone since!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVcrCxIO7jQ[/youtube]
I hate you people with kick ass places to bash like that
It sucks living in a VERY flat area.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Ryan0

Hehe don't worry dude I live 5 minutes from my cities central business district... Gotta drive 30 miles to get to that spot and I don't drive cars, only motorcycles so I only get to use my truck when my lazy frind goes too! Haven't used my truck in months
Old 03-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Bluethunder3320

oh wow im 13 and i have... well have had 3 rc cars. my first was the losi mini lst... broken then i got the mgt 3.0 a little over a year ago... it lasted a year, i broke a ton of stuff now i cant afford to fix it, and for christmas i got the ofna ultra, and hit a 15 foot jump at full speed, about 60mph, and its trashed too. i want to get a road car to put the .28 in next. the mini mgt is a monster truck, actually Mini Monster GT 3.0cc .18. its a good beginner truck and it has a 2 speed auto, 8 oil shocks, and a buncha other good stuff
If you have money for a new car, how do you not have money to fix your broken ones. I've had a couple rcs just trashed and thecost to fixnever cost near the price of a new one.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Bluethunder3320

I got the 3.0 2 years ago for christmas. Pretyy much spent every penny i got on it.

I must admit i was really stupid back then though. I didnt even know how to tune it. Its kind of funny looking back at my noob-Ness lol. I give it credit for taking so much abuse.

Ive been away from the hobby for a while now, but no way am i paying $400 to fix my 3.0 (new engine, diffs, wheels, chassis, screw set, etc, etc, i might as well use the A arms and stuff and make an r/c with emaxx parts.

I sTarted a thread on it, the main part of thr frame is steel bar FCAW welded to the suspension plates. So crazy haha.

Anyways my friend got a mgt 4.6 last summer and the pull start broke. We opened it up and it was full of sand and gravel. We only drove it one tank break in on the stand. Hmmmm...????

Whats the best beginner nitro? /price? I would go mgt 3.0. Small blocks seem to not wear drivetrains so fast, right? For a begginner electric i like the losi 1/16 trucks. However, the plastic differentials suck. If youre going to upgrade to a brushless, youll need to figure out how to rig up a set of steel diffs.