Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

what brand nitro fuel?

Old 10-11-2009, 03:06 PM
cannouu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what brand nitro fuel?

okay lemme restate this question. What is the best oil % for a high revving .12 engine, that wouldn't sacrifice its engine life.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

Maxys Fuel has 10% Castor Synthetic blend. Engine runs great no dyes in it so the fuel is clear and has tons of power. I agree. Too high a percentage in oit will give poor performance. Why do you think so many do not like the Traxxas fuel. High oil percantage and the engine runs super hot. Not to mention to much oil will also cause the one way bearing to slip. I found Maxys fuel on AMAINHOBBIES.com but they want some crazy prices. $82.00 for a gallon of 20%. I get 30% from my LHS for $32.00.
LOL, It is $82 for 4 gallons. That comes to about $20.50 a gallon. .12 engines can run up to 25%, better to stay at 20% though. 16% would cause the engien to run too hot because nitro burns cool, oil burns hot.

Wow, I've never seen someone spout so much misinformation before without anyone challenging them. Anybody here besides me want to correct inaccurate info?

So a couple of things I'll correct that I've read in this post:

1. WD40 for afterrun is bad. Why you ask. Easy, parts of your engine actually have a light layer of rust on them. When you WD40 your engine, the WD40 works great at removing the rust which leaves with iron oxide particles that are free to scuff your cylinder and piston and bearings. Any automatic tranny fluid or Marvel Mystery Oil works as a decent afterun oil. After run oil is only necessary if you have a bearing engine. If you have a cheap bushing engine, its not needed.

2. Engine dyes do not affect engine or affect performance that would be noticeable by anyone.

3. Synthetic oil is actually more expensive than castor oil as a lubricant. While it can't tolerate the heat castor can, it usually provides better lubrication (slicker) and is usually lower in viscosity than castor so it allows engine to accelerate faster and rev higher due to parasitic losses. I personally prefer a touch of castor in my fuel to provide overlean and scuff protection but would never run a pure castor fuel in any engine. Synthetics also burn cleaner.

4. The higher the oil content the less combustible fuel available per unit measure that can be combusted. How much power an engine develops (besides obvious factors such as porting, compression ratio etc..) depends on how much air and fuel you can pump into an engine. The problem with high oil fuels is that people try to get the same performance out of an engine as they did running a low oil fuel. To do this, they usually lean out the mixture too much to get the engine to run as fast as it did with lower oil fuel. The result is an engine that is fried from running too lean. RC car engines traditionally use less oil than airplane engines not because smaller engines need less oil, the opposite is true. RC car engine designers, users, and fuel makers opted a long time ago to take performance over engine longevity. Using less oil in fuels allows engines to rev higher, develop more power than they would with higher oil content fuels but at the price of decrease engine lifespan. If you are racing, you don't care if your engine lasts a month or two but if you are a backyard basher, you may way wish the oppositive. I have rc airplane engines that are running strong and are almost 30 years old. I had a .12 engine last me 2 months running car fuel but my Savage which I bash using 17% oil is going strong after 5 years of very frequent use on the golf course in my backyard.

5. Too much oil in fuel doesn't cause the one way bearing to slip. A leaky backplate and dirt and sludge do.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Chris_RC

okay lemme restate this question. What is the best oil % for a high revving .12 engine, that wouldn't sacrifice its engine life.
I say it again, 8-12%.

ORIGINAL: Homebrewer

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

Maxys Fuel has 10% Castor Synthetic blend. Engine runs great no dyes in it so the fuel is clear and has tons of power. I agree. Too high a percentage in oit will give poor performance. Why do you think so many do not like the Traxxas fuel. High oil percantage and the engine runs super hot. Not to mention to much oil will also cause the one way bearing to slip. I found Maxys fuel on AMAINHOBBIES.com but they want some crazy prices. $82.00 for a gallon of 20%. I get 30% from my LHS for $32.00.
LOL, It is $82 for 4 gallons. That comes to about $20.50 a gallon. .12 engines can run up to 25%, better to stay at 20% though. 16% would cause the engien to run too hot because nitro burns cool, oil burns hot.

Wow, I've never seen someone spout so much misinformation before without anyone challenging them. Anybody here besides me want to correct inaccurate info?

10% nitro runs hotter than 45% nitro. 8% oil runs cooler than 20% oil. What is wrong with that?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:45 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I rarely agree with you on stuff Chris but again I got to agree. I never ever had an issue with my one way bearing until I used a fuel with higher oil content. I cleaned the bearing placed back in changed fuels and never had the issue again. As far as WD40 goes. I don't want oxidation in my engine. The aluminum piston leaves a nasty grey sludge. Before I went crazy with bashing I used to race my RC10GT and also bash it almost every day. And after every run I used WD40. I had my original GT from 1994 to Feb of 2009. That's 15 years with the same car doing the same thing using the same WD40 and ended up selling it with its 3rd engine still running strong which I bought in the summer of 2008. So 3 engines in 15 years I think speaks for itself. Started with the OS .12 CV-R, then the OS .15 CV-R, and sold it with a strong OS .18 CV-RX. All had WD40 as after run oil.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Nik.

Id vote trinity or sidewinder. I ran sidewinder in my vspecs and trinity in everything before that.

Losi fuel runs real good, but because of its oil you need to be careful in your tuning and if you run something like a vspec that needs more oil.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 PM
olkleaf

ORIGINAL: cannouu

it depends on the .12, if its chepo it doesnt really matter its a crap engine anyways

but if its a good quality like novarrosi, rb, maxx, reddot, i have found the lower the oil% the better..
i have used sidewinder .16% oil it too much for it (back yard basher for breakin like oil in breaking wont hurt i used it for the first 2 gallons)
i have used the sidewinder .12% oil content its ok i didnt ike too much actually, it gets the job done if thats all you have
i have ran tornado 8% with very good results but i find the fuel too expensive (i think its 25 bucks a liter thats nuts)
gen2 is what i use normaly i have got good results with that fuel and it wont break the bank
.. i based this on results i have had on my RB v12 R3 and my own opinion
Old 10-11-2009, 09:51 PM
olkleaf

i meant to edit my last post sorry can the moderator delete this?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 AM
theRCreverend

ORIGINAL: cannouu

i heard o'donnels a good brand.
That is correct, and it can be had at a decent price. I wouldn't buy anything "higher quality" than that because it's not worth the money. If you need that little performance boost you get by going to a higher price race brand, then save your money and learn how to drive.