Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

nitro without any ventilation holes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 PM
cannouu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro without any ventilation holes?

i made a replica integra body for my nitro car. I dont want to make any ventilation holes if possible, im also gonna route a rubber exhaust extension tube all the way to the rear. if i run it rich would it be safe from overheating or any damage?
Old 10-15-2009, 12:04 AM
teacher brent

Default RE: nitro without any ventilation holes?

Cut out the windows like they are open. That may not be enough but it's worth a shot.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will loose a lot of power by routing the exhaust to back using somekind of rubber extension. Since most stock exhaust ouputs to the ground or to the sideway. If you route it to the back, there will be curves which will make the engine alot less efficient. Also because of the curves, you will experience somekind of flooding where excess fuel coming out of the exhaust gets accumulated in the curves.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

You could always get a different body for the nitro, then get a electric on-road to use the integra body for.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the exhaust, run it pointing straight down to avoid cutting a hole for the exhaust tip AND put a strip of duct tape (aluminum tape, not the vinyl type) for heat deflection and easy cleanup.

As for ventilation, you don't really need to open up the front window if you are not trying to get maximum performance. Running rich will keep temps in check.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:56 PM
cannouu

oh perfect, so ican run it, just fairly rich :]. man for the muffler, is there any way i could get the exhaust to the back, for one it looks realistic and cool ,for 2 alot less celanup and wont damage the tip if i decide to face the pipe downards.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:43 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

What nitro car is the body going on?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 PM
cannouu

on a hpi nitro rs4 3 with an 18ss engine. Im going to buy a new hpi alluminum tuned pipe, i was thinking of facing the pipe upwards, and the first 2 inches of tubing would be fairly steep, and the rest will go downhill towards the back of the car. I was thinking maybe the pressure output of the muffler would be able to get it up 2 inches of elevation and let it roll down to the back. plus some dripping nitro coming from the muffler looks hella realistic :] good idea?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:55 PM
firebird78

at one time I wanted to shoot the exhaust out the rear of my on-roader....I thought about getting a rear exhuast port engine and see if I could use a revo pipe to get it out the rear..never done it....thinking of making a 1/10th late model out of it now
Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 AM
cenracer1

I have a nitro 4-tec and I have no holes cut in the car except for the engine head which comes that way... My exhaust is routed out the side but I have a small stinger extension from my airplane days which is cut really short and pointed "almost" straight down.. works well for the application.. doesn't effect the performance in any way and there is plenty of cooling for the motor the way traxxas designed the body.. I'm sure other bodies are similar and you should be able to do the same thing...
As with most nitro touring cars, there is limited area which to route anything thru the body.. I personally wouldn't re route the exhaust to the back of the car.. you are increasing lenght which the engine wasn't tuned for... It will run, but most likely at a big performance hit.. mostly on the top end.. I don't run my engine rich at all, its not a monster truck and isn't really straining the motor...
Old 10-16-2009, 10:29 AM
zeo 1

i believe hpi jhas a tuned pipe that is just up your ally its for the drift rs4 so it may cause some irratation check how much space you have in the rear and look at that exhaust happy racing
Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM
zeo 1

nvm just looked at it only way this will work is if you get it custom or buy the drift chassis plate and exhaust