Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

New backyard (grass) truck / car suggestion

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New backyard (grass) truck / car suggestion

Old 11-04-2009, 09:35 AM
gonzo74
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New backyard (grass) truck / car suggestion

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting to get into the hobby and was hoping everyone could give me suggestions on a new car or truck. Primarily it would beused forracing/messing aroundin a 1/4-1/2acre backyard track (normal cut grass only fornow), but I would like the capabaility to take it elsewhere (off roading)if possible.

So my biggest wants in this vehicle would be in order of importance
1.Enough power/clearance to race a friend through grass
2. Around budget of $300-$400
3. preference toward electric, but could be convinced otherwise
4. Prefer "Car-Like" bodies rather than monster truck look, (For example Ilikethe look of Rustler, Jato, Firestorm) over monster truck varietybut if a car-type body can't handle well in grass I would rule it out).
5. RTR's as well as I'm not interested in building it yet. I realize repairs will be in my future, but I just don't want to start with having to build it.

To give you an example of what I've been looking at:
E-Firestorm 10T Flux BL RTR
Traxxus - Stampede VXL Brushlees, RTR
Traxxus - 1/16 E-RevoVXL4WD RTR- concerned about grass/off road ability due to small scale
Nitro RS4 MT2 3.0(glow) RTR

?????

Any ideas, commentsor suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time for your input

Also, I have done searches for this already but none of the existing threads had my same concerns or price range.

Chris

Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: New backyard (grass) truck / car suggestion

From my personal experience, heavier 4wd vehicles do better in grass than light 2wd vehicles mainly because the weight of the vehicle and the 4wd helps to maintain traction. If you get into thick grass, a 2wd will barely go at times. If you are staying in mowed areas like a yard it shouldnt be a big problem though.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you are wanting an electric vehicle that will handle grass pretty well. I would definately reccomend brushless since if you are going with electric, because grass just seemed to suck the power out of my stampede with the 16t brushed motor i had in it even though it would still move along alright. This was my old nitro rustler with a pro .15(older) engine in some thin grass. It actually did pretty well for the most part so I would expect a brushless to be similar except it probably weighs a little more than the brushless which will help it some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTv_QldDRUE

If you are going to be in thick grass, go with something like an e-maxx or e-revo if you want electric. But if you are going to be in mowed grass the 2wd will be fine and cheaper.

What i would do if i was in your shoes is buy either a VXL Rustler or Stampede. I feel like the rustler will be your best bet if you are in mowed grass because it wont wheelie as easily. The grass will make it easier to wheelie(which is where the 4wd is helful again), and the stampede wheelies easily anyway, so if you are racing a buddy that will get old. What i would do if i was in your shoes is buy a VXL rustler, and put some bigger tires on it all the way around like masher 2k's or similar. It will be much better than the stampede about not doing wheelies if you use some control, yet if you want wheelies, a hard throttled launch should bring the front end right up.

Personally if it was me, Id go with the HPI MT2 just because I like 4wd and nitro, but I think since you are wanting electric the 2wd rustler will make you happy. The brushless with some good batteris shouldnt mind the grass at all i dont believe. Just dont run your gearing too high.

Eric
Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Druss

I'd suggest the 1/10 (actually 1/8) erevo then upgrade to brushless later if you're on a tight budget. 4wd, had that "car" look instead of the monster truck look. can handle grass easily and is 4wd.

The 1/16 erevo will be next to useless in mid to long grass, sure it will move but it will not perform well.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

For bashing, 2wd vs 4wd is not really all that important. I like bashing with a 2wd Monster Truck, but for racing, it's better to have 4wd. Out of the trucks you've listed, I'd go with the Stampede VXL. The Firestorm does good in dirt and short grass, but Monster Trucks handle the grass much, much better. Running in grass puts more strain on the drivetrain and motor and the taller the wheels are, the easier it will get through it.

I have a Traxxas S-Maxx, Nitro 2wd Monster Truck that is a blast in any terrain type. It runs through grass with ease, does awesome wheelies and handles quite well for a 2wd. I also have a couple electric stadium trucks, Traxxas Rustler, Duratrax Evader and an E-Firestorm. I don't run these in the grass. It causes the motors/batteries to get ridiculously hot. Even my Ofna Hyper 7, nitro 4wd off-road buggy had a hard time running through thicker grass. It would begin to overheat after 10 minutes of running.

You can't go wrong with a Monster Truck for grass. There are plenty of reasonably priced RTR Monster Trucks around now. Also, don't get anything smaller than a 1/10 scale if you are running in grass.

HPI E-Savage: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL3269&P=1 or http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL3270&P=1
Traxxas E-Maxx: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LL3474**&P=1
Traxxas Stampede: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LL3472**&P=1
Old 11-04-2009, 11:37 AM
gonzo74

Thanks everyone so far for the information. You all have been very helpful. If anyone else has any other comments, I'd love to hear them.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 AM
mini-dude

ORIGINAL: gonzo74
To give you an example of what I've been looking at:
E-Firestorm 10T Flux BL RTR
Traxxus - Stampede VXL Brushlees, RTR
Traxxus - 1/16 E-RevoVXL4WD RTR- concerned about grass/off road ability due to small scale
Nitro RS4 MT2 3.0(glow) RTR
IMHO, you really need to figure out what scale and type vehicle you're TRULY interested in - as your "list" hits a lot of different parameters.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Access

How thick is your grass?
If you look at my youtube videos, you can see vids of vehicles of all types running on grass.
Compared to other minis, even the E-revo 1/16 VXL does remarkably well on grass. But personally I wouldn't want anything less than a 'pede with large tires.

For newbies an option that works pretty well is to build a 'grass drifter' like the setup in most of these videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccessAc.../0/lkjFzOQF-9E

Stadium trucks on grass can be very problematic, short runtimes (lucky to get 10 minutes if that) and hot motors, etc.
Look on google maps around where you live and try to find some open dirt space to run on.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:25 PM
cummins driver

The only thing i have against the stampede is that it wheelies very easily, and in grass, where the front end will be riding on top of the grass, it makes it even worse. Thats the only reason i would be hesitant with buying one for the grass. I had one and liked it a lot, but climbing hills, and grass and stuff it is very hard to keep the front end on the ground. I think a rustler with large tires would be better suited to grass because it wont wheelie near as easily but should still have the same ground clearence as the pede does under the rear differential and front a-arms/chassis, even though the center chassis on the pede will be a decent bit higher(which is what makes it easy to wheelie compared to the rustler).

Old 11-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Access

If you set it it up like I did in the video I posted you really don't wheelie that much (or roll over for that matter). OTOH if you are using the high-traction (normal) tires on grass, either one ends up being wheelie city but you can get a wheelie bar at least.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM
breezerboat

Monster trucks are a blast for bashing. I have the MGT and it is really fun.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 PM
gonzo74

Hi,

Thanks again for the info. Everyone's input has been very informative. So far I like the buying a Rustler and adding larger tires (cummins suggestion)and I like your idea of setting up a grass drifter (access).

Access, in your video what Stampede is that? It looks to me like there are several variations of it (VXL, XL-5). The grass Iwould be driving on would be thicker than in your video's but the mowed variety so not a lot taller. Certainly tall enough though that drifting (at least shiny side up) would not be too likely. I like the thought of it keep the wheelies down though.

Sorry, one more question, what kind of run time can Iexpect to get (ballpark) if I'm basically just racing around in a circle in grass? Let's assume I go the Stampede VXL Brushless route
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ2131** with the battery that is included in that particular combo (DurtracPiranha 6-Cell 7.2V 3000maH)?

Again thanks for the info!!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: gonzo74
Access, in your video what Stampede is that? It looks to me like there are several variations of it (VXL, XL-5). The grass I would be driving on would be thicker than in your video's but the mowed variety so not a lot taller. Certainly tall enough though that drifting (at least shiny side up) would not be too likely. I like the thought of it keep the wheelies down though.

Sorry, one more question, what kind of run time can I expect to get (ballpark) if I'm basically just racing around in a circle in grass? Let's assume I go the Stampede VXL Brushless route
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ2131** with the battery that is included in that particular combo (Durtrac Piranha 6-Cell 7.2V 3000maH)?
It's the old 'pede, one generation ago when the plastic was black and the stinger was their standard motor. Didn't even come with ball bearings for the wheels.
http://www.traxxas.com/products/trx_legacy.htm#electric

New 'pede shouldn't be too much different though, the idea is to get the right type of tires, I used Jato tires for that setup. Empty out the shocks and use 20 oil all around, or 22.5 in front and 20 in the rear. Softer springs in front, I think, if you want I can check the setup tonight and post again.

Now with runtime in the earlier vids I was running a GP3300 NIMH and a mamba max, 5700KV CM36 motor. Runtimes were only a short 5 minutes for that battery. I had to set a cutoff voltage of 5.4V on the mamba max just to keep the battery from overheating. It's really hard to get good runtimes on grass. My 4wd monsters can get ~10 minutes on the grass, but that's with twin LiPos and a custom cooling system.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 PM
cummins driver

Runtime is where the nitro trucks really come into play in my opinion. That is why i got away from the electrics, because the 5-8 minutes of run time just really killed the fun for me.

Now, there is nothing at all wrong with electrics if that is what you want. Im just curious why you are kind of ruling out a nitro vehicle. Are you worried about the tuning and maintenance or is the noise and the mess more of a problem? Let us know what you end up with, and dont be shy about the questions, we were all new once
Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: cummins driver
Runtime is where the nitro trucks really come into play in my opinion. That is why i got away from the electrics, because the 5-8 minutes of run time just really killed the fun for me.

Now, there is nothing at all wrong with electrics if that is what you want. Im just curious why you are kind of ruling out a nitro vehicle. Are you worried about the tuning and maintenance or is the noise and the mess more of a problem? Let us know what you end up with, and dont be shy about the questions, we were all new once
It's the grass that kills the runtime, not that it's an electric. On any other surface you can get 20-40 minutes runtime or even more from a battery that costs less than $50. And then changing out a battery takes only ~30 seconds, this isn't aircraft / heli where changing out a battery is a major inconvenience.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 PM
mini-dude

. That is why i got away from the electrics, because the 5-8 minutes of run time just really killed the fun for me.
You must have been doing something wrong, because we run races longer than that - and for pure "running it until it dies"I'd guess the time should be closer to 30 minutes.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: mini-dude

. That is why i got away from the electrics, because the 5-8 minutes of run time just really killed the fun for me.
You must have been doing something wrong, because we run races longer than that - and for pure ''running it until it dies'' I'd guess the time should be closer to 30 minutes.
Wasnt doing anything wrong, it was just that i was running my stampede on dirt/grass with 1800 nicd batteries and a 16t motor. No matter the batteries and charger, they just cant match the runtime of a nitro. That bothered me, but to some, its probably not as big of a deal.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Druss

well 1800mah nicads? of course you're going to get short run times. Try a 5000mah+ lipo and you'll get approx 25-30 min run times.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:56 AM
cummins driver

Those batteries arent cheap either. That big money to have enough of them to charge up and take with you for a couple hours of running. A jug of nitro, and a tuning screwdriver, and i can run all day long.

I dont want to turn this into an argument because obviously they both have pros and cons. I just wondered why he was more after an electric than a nitro.

Eric
Old 11-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Access

Wasnt doing anything wrong, it was just that i was running my stampede on dirt/grass with 1800 nicd batteries and a 16t motor. No matter the batteries and charger, they just cant match the runtime of a nitro. That bothered me, but to some, its probably not as big of a deal.
When you say 1800 nicd and a 16t (brushed) motor, you are basically using what was available 10-15 years ago.
Batteries have gone through two advancements, and the motors one. Stuff changes.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0mAh_2S1P_20C_
modern battery ($19.79 is around what one would pay for a (liter?) of fuel)
more than twice the capacity and more than 4x the power output of yours.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSDB6**&P=ML
modern brushless setup (actually 1~2 years old).

If I was actually running today with an 1800mAH nicds, it would bother me too... but who is...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:48 AM
gonzo74

Hi,

I was leaning towards electric mostly due to noise concerns. This "track" is right next to several neighborsand 2 nitro cars running around in circles for an hour or 2 might be annoying to them after awhile. I'm no master with nitro engines but Ido have a couple of glow airplanes so at the very least I'm familiar with them. If it weren't for the noise issue, Iwould go nitro easily. It's beginning to sound to me like that is the solution, Unless you (others)are saying a new Stampede VXL http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSDB6**&P=ML with a 5000mAH battery on grass would be able to give me the 20-30 minutes.

Your link to that battery: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8578&Product_Name=ZIPPY_ Flightmax_5000mAh_2S1P_20C_, why is that so much cheaper than say this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVHT7&P=M(Duratrax 6-cell 7.2V DTX 4600 NiMh). Is it a brand name issue? I would think LiPo would be more expensive than NiMH. Perhaps the Traxxus plug has something to do with it? Also, in comparison does a 5000mAh lipo last reasonable the same as a 5000 Nimh?

Kind of a funny story but the whole reason I'm looking into this is because we have many what my family terms as "fests" (short for festivals I guess). These involve getting together on the weekends and hanging out at either my house, parent's house or sister's house. As you can imagine, for the women they are great as the chatting goes onincessantly for hours. For the men, we just end up watching TV for 4-6 hours, which while not bad it is a slow way to spend an afternoon. So, I came up with the brilliant idea to race RC cars in our backyards to liven it up a little. We are pretty much stuck with being at the house for the "fests", but don't have to be in it. LOL!

Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:06 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: Access

When you say 1800 nicd and a 16t (brushed) motor, you are basically using what was available 10-15 years ago.
Batteries have gone through two advancements, and the motors one. Stuff changes.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0mAh_2S1P_20C_
modern battery ($19.79 is around what one would pay for a (liter?) of fuel)
more than twice the capacity and more than 4x the power output of yours.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSDB6**&P=ML
modern brushless setup (actually 1~2 years old).

If I was actually running today with an 1800mAH nicds, it would bother me too... but who is...
Well, seeing as I got my stampede about 8 years ago, id say that was about right then.

Look, you can argue it all day long, but a nitro will run all day while you are charging and swapping batteries every 20 minutes, and less than that in grass or dirt(which is where I almost always run). Just a minute ago you told stated you only get about 5 minutes of run time in the grass. My savage will run 20 minutes on one tank. Like i said they both have their advantages, but an electric simply will not run as long as a nitro unless you have an unlimited supply of charged batteries which i doubt anyone has.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

a 5000 mah lipo will run longer than a 5000 mah nimh. plus it will have more power.
the reason the lipo's from hobbycity,hobbyking are cheaper is because they are a newer company and not aswell know as the other brands and have been getting great reveiws from buyers. i have 2 5000's on the way but it takes about a week or two to get here from hong kong.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Access

Look, you can argue it all day long, but a nitro will run all day while you are charging and swapping batteries every 20 minutes, and less than that in grass or dirt(which is where I almost always run). Just a minute ago you told stated you only get about 5 minutes of run time in the grass. My savage will run 20 minutes on one tank. Like i said they both have their advantages, but an electric simply will not run as long as a nitro unless you have an unlimited supply of charged batteries which i doubt anyone has.
Dirt is actually fine, it's the constant drag of running through grass that really eats up the runtime. Running on dirt is almost as good as running on pavement (40 minute runtimes are very possible). I've run for hours on dirt with just a few sets of batteries. And if you have power available, you can run forever with just 3-4 batteries and one less charger (but that will probably run you just under $200.) I'm not going to argue about which is better, but I am at least going to lay out all the facts, exactly as they are today, for an electric setup.

Anyways gonzo74 here's the runtimes I recall. Reasonably well timed from the camera used to record the video.
3300mAH GP NIMH, 'pede with the drift setup, on grass ~5 minutes (25mph top speed)
4800mAH 2s LiPo, same, 8~9 minutes on grass (30mph top speed)

Mind you I was geared 16/83 or 16/86 with the mamba max. If you go with the VXL and run on 3s, gear 14/83 or 13/83, and your grass is really well cut, you might do a bit better than I did. You could probably get 15 minutes continuos running off a 5000maH LiPo if you slowed it down to ~20mph which you may not be able to get faster in your backyard anyways.

As for the LiPos like the one I linked to above, they are good deals. People on these boards have gotten them and been perfectly happy with them. There are a few of the hong kong brands you should stay way from, but Zippy is a good one.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 PM
matello

I just purchased a rustler vxl and I had the same questions. I ran it today on well cut grass and it did remarkably well. Run time was about 10-15 minutes, but the battery got crazy hot. I got a 7-cell humpback battery in it and was amazed at the power even on stock tires. I do agree that bigger tires may make a big difference, and that maybe my next step. My next try will be on a dirt , and will see how it goes.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Access

How fast was it geared to go? Did you get an accurate speed reading?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.