Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do you do your own repairs or take it to the LHS?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
LHS fixes everyting for me
0.52%
LHS fixes most of my problems
0.52%
LHS bails me out of a jam now and then
6.81%
I fix my own stuff
92.15%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Do you do your own repairs or take it to the LHS?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 PM
happywing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you do your own repairs or take it to the LHS?

I've seen a few posts where members comment on the aptitude level of their local hobby shop (LHS) in regard to repairs. I'm curious to know if very many poeple have their repairs done at the LHS.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Pinolelst

Default RE: Do you do your own repairs or take it to the LHS?

I for one do all my own work even if I have to search the web for directions on how to do whatever it is that needs done. Who can afford LHS rates ??

Steve
Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Access

Never. I know LHS repairs are a growing market but I don't think most of those people who are paying for repairs are hanging out in RC forums.

I've seen some of the funniest things in hobby shops like guys who couldn't figure out how to remove a body clip and needed the shop to do it for them.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM
kzimmerman

How come you didn't include a column for people who make their own parts? Seriously, I've built shock towers, bulkheads, chasis, camber links and the like when they've broke on my trucks. But, that may be because the nearest LHS is 1.5 hrs away........
Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

The only thing I have ever had done at the LHS was to have them install a set of dean on my Super Duty XR ESC.  I suck at soldering so I figured it was worth the $3 to get it done correctly (and not wreck my speed control)
Old 11-06-2009, 03:17 PM
happywing

So far, I'm with everyone else here. I don't trust anyone else to fix my stuff.

I think "people who make their own parts" falls in the fix it yourself category. I've manufactured a few parts.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:39 PM
scoobs92

the way i see it is if you have to have your lhs fix your truck then your not really into the hobby its not really hard to fix them have a good set of tools and patience and print outs of your truck\car
Old 11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do all my work my self. I visit the LHS to get parts only. If I can get them cheaper on line I will.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:03 PM
sheograth

I do them all myself, just use the LHS for buying parts. Though, every time I'm in there, someone else is there paying money to have a shock tower replaced or something :|.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Snipin_Willy

Doesn't this hobby cost enough already without having to pay someone else to fix your stuff?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Damo_MadTruck

Fixing your rc is part of the hobby!!

One of the main reasons i bought my savage was to have something to work on.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:15 PM
usa98030

Its usually younger people with no tools who go the LHS. Everyone else just goes their to hang out and get parts.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: Snipin_Willy

Doesn't this hobby cost enough already without having to pay someone else to fix your stuff?
Absolutely!

I also fix my own vehicles and prefer it that way.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Access

Here's the other thing. I've helped fellow rc'ers fix/upgrade their stuff in the past. I always insist though that they watch me, or I just instruct them exactly what to do (follow my instructions) so they learn themselves. Typically I only need to do it once or twice before they can then do those things themselves.

A shop is just doing this as a source of profit, they're typically not trying to teach anyone anything.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM
butt_housed247

why would anybody want the hobby shop to fix it?  one of the main draws to this hobby is being able to take you car apart, repair it, hop it up, and put it back together.  if your not going to tinker with it why own it?  RC cars are so easy to work on i don't understand why people think they can't do it.  i take my car apart and work on it even if it doesn't need it.

the hobby shop i go to does do repair work, but they charge you for it.  $12 an hour labor plus the cost of parts.  if its a 5 minute fix you still have to pay $12 for the hour.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:36 PM
cenracer1

My LHS doesn't fix cars or do repairs at all... The guy who ownes it is a great guy but doesn't want to get into the repair end of it.. He has called me on several occasions for advice for customers and I have fixed a few for them.. I won't charge for the service as its more of a favor for the owner.. He has my cell #... I truly believe if you want to be in this hobby you should be able to handle repairs on your own vehicles.. I leaned that way as did just about everyone else..
Old 11-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: usa98030

Its usually younger people with no tools who go the LHS. Everyone else just goes their to hang out and get parts.
I dont know, I've seen some people 50+ in hobby shops asking how to remove a spur gear. I can't imagine how much it would cost to do a full rebuild of a car.

Anyway, I know more than most people at my LHS in cars, and unless they are pros and can fix an ailing (in handling) car, I would not trust them to work on my stuff.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 PM
aaronlb

Fixing my own stuff is probably 65% of why I got into this hobby in the first place. But I have to admit, the great people on these forums have helped me alot. I've been doing this about 2 years and still consider myself a newbe.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:24 PM
butt_housed247

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: usa98030

I dont know, I've seen some people 50+ in hobby shops asking how to remove a spur gear. I can't imagine how much it would cost to do a full rebuild of a car.

Anyway, I know more than most people at my LHS in cars, and unless they are pros and can fix an ailing (in handling) car, I would not trust them to work on my stuff.
its not just the young and old.a couple days ago i went to the hobby shop to pick up a new gear cover and a dude probably in his early 30's was droppingoff a slash to have a rear suspension arm replaced.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 PM
firebird78

in my personal opinion repairing you rc is part of the hobby...in my mind if your not mechanically inclined to repair your own stuff then you should take up a different past time...reason I say this is if you cant repair your rc your surelly not maintaining it properly....let alone tune it if it is a nitro...could you imagine having to have someone tune for you everytime you wanted to run..lol...

sure a person needs to learn....but if the person has patients and is willing to listen and follow directions its not that difficult (to me anyways, but I'm a mechanic by trade...lol)...I thought thats what these forums were all about...to help one another out...but all to often I get people asking me what I think is wrong and then just have someone else fix it....some I've just plain asked why they bother asking me, cause I know they were just going to take it and have someone else work on it anyway...lol....I'm all for helping someone..

some people see me run and come ask about the hobby...some asked were would you take one to have it worked on..I tell them I do all my own repairs...then they asked if I would fix theirs if they was to buy one...I told them I would instruct them but wouldnt do the work..lol...thats when I tell them if they want something to pull of the shelf, play with it and put it back on the shelf its prolly not the hobby for them
Old 11-06-2009, 06:35 PM
GT2rider

i have a team of naked women that work on my car.  
Old 11-06-2009, 06:46 PM
scoobs92

if i had that my rc would never get fixed thay would have too many destractions lol
Old 11-06-2009, 09:08 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

yup i do all my own work and if it's something that i have not done yet i do research and ask questions. once you get into it it's good knowing you can fix it,tune it,change ect.
the local hobby shops around me charge $20 an hour. i actually had one shop call me to do work for him on the side because he didn't have anybody that knew what they were doing.
yup if your not willing to put the time and effort in this is the wrong hobby for you.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Damo_MadTruck

ORIGINAL: GT2rider

i have a team of naked women that work on my car.
Czesc, tez jestem polakiem .

I think i will probably get a team of naked polish chicks as well.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Chris_RC

One more thing, if a newbie buys a car and when it does 'go' or doesnt perform well, he would take it to the LHS and say, "Fix it!". That is when the person doesnt even care. But if you try to take it apart with the manual and get discourgaged, you would take it to the LHS and ask them when they are going to work on it so you can watch them. LHS's just use the car's manual to work on it anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.