Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

just when you thought 2.4ghz could not get any cheaper.

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

just when you thought 2.4ghz could not get any cheaper.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 AM
redfisher1974

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just when you thought 2.4ghz could not get any cheaper.

Looks god awful and cheap,But for $25....

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10608
Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 AM
gelbschnee

Default RE: just when you thought 2.4ghz could not get any cheaper.

I cracked up as soon as I saw that thing. It looks pretty dinky, other than that it looks like a deal.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:36 PM
DaveG55

I was pleasantly surprised to see that they list the technical specs for the radio. That's something that I have not seen the top 2.4g players do.
$25 is an amazing price, hope someone on here gets one and posts up results/experiences with it.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:36 PM
cool-joe

I talked to someone at one of the car manufacturers and they told me, off the record, that the 2.4ghz radio system is by far and away the cheapest thing ever (radio-wise) to produce - ever. The deal is that crystals, since they were a static cost, were the most expensive part of many of theRTR set-ups.They also said that on one of their Tx's that the actual steering mechanism is the most expensive part of the radio.
Everybody's been paying big bucks for these 2.4ghz radios, thinking it was the actual technology that cost, when in fact they've been lured/sucked into the "inflation ofnewness."
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
redfisher1974

I know what you mean,When i bought my LCD tv it was $1300 now you can get it for$700 and this is less then two years ago.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

I'm picking up one and immediately going to paint it. I may get a few so I can use them for my bashers. I will post back when it arrives.

Also, I agree with Cool-Joe. Think about Computer WiFi Routers. They operate on 2.4ghz with 11 channels and do many more functions that the radios and the prices are normally less than $100. ($50 for the Linksys WRT54G series which can be turned into a $700 router) It is definitely the newness the price reflects.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Access

IMO the styling of the radio is wonky, just downright horrible. They really need better designers not to mention a better color scheme.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
redfisher1974

I agree ^
Old 12-08-2009, 03:43 PM
cool-joe

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

I know what you mean,When i bought my LCD tv it was $1300 now you can get it for$700 and this is less then two years ago.
I hear ya and that's why I buy anything when it's new out on the market, I give it at least two years.
I finally broke down and got a bigscreen Hi-Def LCD, $479out-the-dooron Black Friday.

It's like radio gear, I'm still using AMat the track and I can't remember the last time I had a frequency conflict because I'm like the only one not running 2.4ghz. LOL
Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM
cool-joe

ORIGINAL: Access

IMO the styling of the radio is wonky, just downright horrible. They really need better designers not to mention a better color scheme.

What do you want. the radio to match your shorts?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
ElectricGuy007

ROFLOL [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Ugly isnt the word for it, looks like a radio you would see at walmart or something.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:00 PM
redfisher1974

I must say if they can be made for this price then rtr's should come with 2.4ghz.looks look they are cheaper to make then AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

I must say if they can be made for this price then rtr's should come with 2.4ghz.looks look they are cheaper to make then AM.
Many do, more will. It's only a matter of time until you won't be able to buy AM or FM RC radios. Probably less than 5 years.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:20 PM
monsterbrad

You know if they would just drop the prices of some RTR kits the hobby would explode more then it has.
ALmost all people that I talk to when I am out running ask me how much is that thing?
With my fleet it ranges from 200 to a grand or better and most of the cost is the good radio equiptment
this kinda ticks me off that they could drop there prices but don't
typical business all for them selves and none for the average american worker
yes I am disgruntled I have lost my job 3 times cause of this economy and it stinks to say the least
All lets petition against this and get them all to lower there prices and all RTR's to come with 2.4 radios
Old 12-08-2009, 04:51 PM
andybenton

well no matter how ugly it is the price out weighs its hidiousness.

i have been using a traxxas 27 am radio for, roughly three years. it came in my stampede and i took it out when i started rebuilding the pede and put the radio in my pan car.

im thinking im going to get it, it would be really nice to see one of these with some kind of telemetry, i think it the correct term.

the gauges that tell you all the info, like voltage, temp, run time, they have throttle profiles, and so on.

any whoo. aside from it being ugly, the speds look good enough to spend 25 bucks on it. and who knows if its any good ill pick up another set form my boat, stampede and my touring car.

but for know ordered and is going into the pan car/
Old 12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: andybenton
ugly, the speds look good enough to spend 25 bucks on it. and who knows if its any good ill pick up another set form my boat, stampede and my touring car.

but for know ordered and is going into the pan car/
Yeah maybe all the other racers at the track will be laughing so hard at your controller that they won't be able to focus on the race so you end up doing better than you normally do.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: cool-joe

I talked to someone at one of the car manufacturers and they told me, off the record, that the 2.4ghz radio system is by far and away the cheapest thing ever (radio-wise) to produce - ever. The deal is that crystals, since they were a static cost, were the most expensive part of many of the RTR set-ups. They also said that on one of their Tx's that the actual steering mechanism is the most expensive part of the radio.
Everybody's been paying big bucks for these 2.4ghz radios, thinking it was the actual technology that cost, when in fact they've been lured/sucked into the ''inflation of newness.''
It's not the actual 2.4ghz people are paying for, it is the features. Heck, Adam Drake still uses an FM radio.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:43 PM
cool-joe

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC
It's not the actual 2.4ghz people are paying for, it is the features. Heck, Adam Drake still uses an FM radio.
The overwhelming majority of folks that upgraded did so from a quality FM/AMunit just for the 2.4 lack of frequency worries.

99% of people don't use 10% of the "features" they've paid for, other than model memory, andmost of them don't know what most of them does or is for.

Adam Drake said in an article a couple of years back that he has all the settings on his M11 at their stock setting. LOL
Old 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Access

I agree. Adam drake is just a guy named Adam Drake. He is just a man like anyone else.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a spektrum dx3s....I got it on sale....before then I was running a jr xs3 that I bought off ebay for like $50 new that had been pulled outta a rtr box...anyways the jr xs3 had everything I ever needed and is an excellent radio, never had a problem with the 5 that I own...ayways people at the track showed me ther dx3s and I liked the telemetry...I like knowing what my reciever pack is doing as well as my temp (which by the way is 5 deg. different then my temp gun)...

anyways a good fm like the jr xs3 has all the features I needed and then some....I just like the telemtry of the dx3s....
Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 PM
quietnas1

Well the thing is ugly as sin but I will be getting one for my RC10GT restoration.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

I ordered two and I picked up some plastic paint. The thing is an eyesore so I think a solid black and maybe blue on the wheel would make it look less like it was bought from "Wal Mart".
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
rebuilder

It reminds me of the neighbor kids "Hot wheels" radar gun....................same color scheme too...................................I would try it, and the first thing i would do is give it a nice flat black paint job..........kinda stealthy
Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 PM
cool-joe

ORIGINAL: rast4man

I ordered two and I picked up some plastic paint. The thing is an eyesore so I think a solid black and maybe blue on the wheel would make it look less like it was bought from "Wal Mart".

That's like putting your Walmart purchases in a Sachs 5th Avenue bag.....LOL
Old 12-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Chris_RC

I agree. Adam drake is just a guy named Adam Drake. He is just a man like anyone else.
What I am trying to say is that 2.4 does not make you faster or a better driver, it is simply a personal peference.

And for all those conflict issues, it's called synthesized radios. You can change channels very quickly. Not to mention FM radios are cheaper.

Adam Drake said in an article a couple of years back that he has all the settings on his M11 at their stock setting. LOL
Subtrim settings-not stock, travel settings-not stock, steering wheel and throttle/brake tension-not stock. The only reason he doesn't use any Expo is because of the lag time and unresponsiveness. If you were running a crazy brushless motor with no throttle control (for throttle expo), or doing high speed runs (for steering expo), that is where expo comes into places dramatically. Not to mention, he has a radio bag that is custom designed so he can race in the cold for long periods of time without his hands getting cold.

In short, his radio is hardly a 'stock out of the box' radio.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.