Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Himoto Brake Upgrade

Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 AM
sick6stang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Himoto Brake Upgrade

Having problems with the brakes on your Himoto? Here is what you can do. Take out the E-3001 throttle servo, and change to the E-9001 servo. (DO NOTSWITCH WITH THE STEERING SERVO, ORDER A NEW ONE) Start with the front and tighten up the (2) S.H.C.S. that hold the pads in place, alternating them and turning them 1/4 turns. After each 1/4 turn pick up the back of the rc and roll it till it drags. Then back the S.H.C.S. off 1/8 turn. Repeatthe process for the rear brakes.Follow this and there will be no need to double up on the brake pads.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 PM
sick6stang

Default RE: Himoto Brake Upgrade

I followed this set up for the brakes and they worked very well. After 15min. of run time the brakes again did not work. The inside metal pad actualy melted into the support arm, on both sides. Thus freezing them in place. I am working on a metal rotorwith rubber pads. Himoto cannotsell the good metal slotted rotors with the pads here in the USA, cause of asbestos on the pads. So US residents beaware while ordering the brakes, you will notrecieve the (GOOD) brakes. I have encountered quite a few pplwith stoppage problems onthe 1:8th scale models with larger engines. If we ban together we might be able to get Himoto Racing to manufacture their pads withan organic compound, so they can be offered to my fellow US residents.Anyone with brake enhancements, or ideas are welcome, and encouraged to post their comments in this BRAKEUPGRADE thread.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:46 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that if you have any drag on the brakes they will melt but if you have it free rolling during idle or throttle you will be ok.  I think the best setup is the one kuppler did, the dual setup.  We have been working on something but its not cheap, we offer it on another line that we have. 
Old 12-15-2009, 10:08 PM
firebird78

I was going to order metal slotted rotor and try to glue some rubber from tractor tire tubes to the shoes....someone else used an industrial rubber of some sort and said they wore long and stopped the rc on a dime (cant remember who thou)...reason I never tried it is I figured the brakes would grab TOO well...after doubling up my rotors I havent had issues..
Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 AM
rclynx

A good driver seldom needs brakes besides that why would anyone in the business want you guys to stop breaking things
Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 PM
sick6stang

Ok guys, I am trying something new out and I will let you know how it works. I just got the second set of brakes, and I purchased a product called RUBBERIZEIT. You can get it in two forms, a spray and a dip. I got a can of the dip for under $10.00 at the local hardware store. It comes in red, blue, and yellow. It is a durable, anti-skidrubber coating. Its the same thing that is on the handle of most hand tools, like pliers. My plan is to coatsixbrake pads with two coats.Iwillinstall 3 pads and 2 discs on the front and the rear, like so, pad, disk, pad, disk, pad.I will lightly sand flat spots on the rubber coating to insure the greatest amount of contact. I willpost back in a few daysto tell how it works.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM
ehroof

sounds like a good idea, let us know how you make out.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Redharris

Sick6stang......

Like HimotoRacingUSA said,,,,,You MUST have your brakes properly adjusted so that they are FREE to float when you are driving and only actuate when you Apply the Brakes. If they are Rubbing while you are driving,,,you WILL wearout/destroy the brakes very quickly.

Having SAID that.....

There are a couple ways to increase your Braking Power.
Run a Hump Pack battery for more Power to the servo.
The first is to upgrade your Throttle/Brake to a QUALITY sevro, (Spend at least $100).
The second way is to ADD mechanical stopping leverage. (See the picture of MY Truggy)
It Still helps to run a Quality Servo.
I can nearly FLIP my Truggy with MY set up........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98917.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	1335948  
Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 PM
sick6stang

I see you have the metal discs and the pads with the asbestos. We are having a hard time getting thoes now. The LAW will not allow Himoto Racing to sell thoes in the US.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Redharris

Those are not asbestos pads......

I personally MADE those pads out of Gasket Material, Purchased at the local Auto Parts store...
Old 12-17-2009, 08:12 PM
sick6stang

Here are some pics of the pads I made. I have not ran the RXT yet, cause the material has to setup for 24 hours before use.The truggy rolls freely with no drag. I fired up the transmitter and reciever and applied the brakes, all 4 wheel drug across the garage floor. I gave the truggy a good shove across the floor and hit the brakes. All 4 wheels locked up and the truggy came to an abrupt stop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74213.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1336647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39155.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1336648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37663.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1336649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76205.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1336650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc40856.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1336651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dt19090.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1336652  
Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 PM
ehroof

Looks great, i wonder if that rubber is going to stay on, i hope it does because i know what i am going to be doing!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Redharris

I have to Admit,,,,it LOOKS like a Sweet Mod.....Good Workmanship too....
Hope it works for more than a few minutes.....
Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 PM
sick6stang

If this works, keep in mind that diffrent companies make this product, and (NOTALLARETHESAME). The one I used is resistent to chemicals, and the temperature range is-30°F to 200°F. Here is some information reguarding the coating I used.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Solids: (wt.) 24%
Durometer: shore A (ASTM D -2240) 70
Tensile: (ASTM D -638) 3,740psi
Salt spray: (ASTM B -117) passed 1,000 hours
Elongation: (ASTM D -638) 430%
Weatherability: (ASTM G -53) 3-5 years: PLASTI DIP 7 -10 years: PLASTI DIP U.V. Stable
Cut resistance: (ASTM D -1044) very good
Stone abrasion: (ASTM D -3170) excellent
Temperature use range: -30°F to 200°F.
Shelf life: 1 year at 77°F after opening
Viscosity range: 80 – 100 K.U. @ 77 °F (+/- 2°F)
Chemical resistance: acids, alkalines, pollutants: excellent petroleums: limited
Permeability: (ASTM E -96) .03 grains/sq. ft./hr.
Coverage: 30 sq.ft. per gallon at 15 milsPlasti Dip multi-purpose coatings allow you to rubberize just about anything!

Plasti Dip multi-purpose coatings allow you to rubberize just about anything! Plasti Dip is a flexible synthetic multi-purpose coating that exhibits excellent moisture, acid, alkaline, and abrasion resistance.

[*]Flexible - Won't crack, chip, or become brittle[*]Insulates - Electrical shock, vibration, and heat[*]Grip - Provides safe non-slip comfort and control[*]Durable - Resists weather, chemicals, impact, and abrasion[/list]
Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 PM
sick6stang

Well I tested it! They worked very well, so well that the RXT took about six end over end flips as I jammed on the brakes at full throttle. (ISTHEREAROLLBARFORTHISMODEL?)The rubber stayed on till I did this. I checked out the manufacturer of the grip coat that Ibought, I bought the one I mentioned not to get. WHOOPS!! So I can wait and order the GOOD stuff ofline, or I can continue to explore other methods. Well Idecided to explore some more. I took 180 grit sandpaper with the sticky back and stuck it on both sides of the rotors, effective but very short life, The metal pads cant take it. My current try is to take a gasket punch the size of the rotor, and punch out circles from a rubber tire tube, glue them onto the rotors using NAPA baulkamp tire patch glue. I glued them on just like you would a regular tire patch. I will cut the centers out tomorrow and give it another try.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:07 PM
ehroof

did you try with just the metal dual pads?  I have heard that works great with nothing on the pads.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 PM
sick6stang

Yeah i tried just the dual setup, It don't work that well. It seem like my brake cams dont push outwards that far.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:35 PM
ehroof

Kuppler (Adam) did it, drop him a pm and see what he says. 
Old 12-23-2009, 01:06 AM
sick6stang

I could have ripped my hair out over these brakes. They would not work no matter what I did. The best I got was to make them drag a lil, but then they got hot and the metal pads weldedthemselves to my differential uprights. It turns out that the cams were posistioned wrong from the factory. The picture in the owners manual is not too clear on the correct position of the brake cams. So to put it simply. I doubled up the brakes, Metal pad, disc, metal pad, disc, metal pad, on both sides, put in a E-9001 9kg. (equals 125 oz. in, part #83015 from www.himotoracingusa.com $25.99) With the cams in the correct position, I got nothing to complain about. Stops very well, FINALLY!!! Thanks Eddie
Old 12-23-2009, 07:49 AM
ehroof

No thanks needed bro, I am glad you got it going.