Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 Spektrum DX3 (not 3.0) or Airtronics MX-3 >

Spektrum DX3 (not 3.0) or Airtronics MX-3

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Spektrum DX3 (not 3.0) or Airtronics MX-3

Old 12-20-2009, 01:11 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX3 (not 3.0) or Airtronics MX-3

These are the two radios I'm looking at for my new 8ight. I've read the specs on both and both seem about even. Does anyone have any input on any little nuances on either? I read that the hinge of the antenna on the DX3's breaks a lot and needs a zip tie around it to keep it straight. Anything else?

Personally I think the DX3 looks better cosmetically but I actualyl like the Airtronics a little more for some reason.

Input?

These questions are almost done from me as this is the last thing I need for my 8ight, so bear with me.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:06 AM

Default RE: Spektrum DX3 (not 3.0) or Airtronics MX-3

I would get a DX3S or DX2S. They only use 4AA's and IMO they feel a bit better in your hand.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:10 AM

Yeah but they are $250 and $150 respectively. I'm trying to go on a budget for now just to get to race asap. Once I get the feel for everything and learn the ropes, I'll indeed upgrade.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:24 PM

Really torn on an entry level 2.4ghz radio setup. Help please. ;(
Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a fellow racer has the airtronics and wants a spektrum dx3s.....
here is the way I see it

airtronics

less expensive
feels more solid built, heavier
uses 8 batteries and I would suggest rechargeables

spektrum dx3s

more money
telemetry works great and comes in handy (only use the temp and reciever pack info)
4 batteries good alkaline's last a long time (prolly burned 2 1/2 gal. since my purchase and still the batteries that came with it)
for $240ish you get a sport reciever as well (handy if you have more then one rc)
does feel toyish at first as it is so light....fits my hand better

so far my dx3 is flawless...I think the airtronics would handle abuse better but not sure...anyways I try to be carefull with my radio equipment...no issues with my antanna but I dont usually mess with it
Old 12-21-2009, 12:48 AM

No issues with the antenna for me either. The only way I could see someone breaking it is turning the swivel antenna past where it is suppose to go or bending it the other way. And with the roller button, click on the left side. I have actually tried to break the roller, so again, the only time someone would break it is by pushing on it HARD.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't let the 4AA vs. 8AA be a factor. The Spektrum probably goes half as long on a set of batts.

Any notable differences in features?

One thing to check on is the price of receivers. I was a little shocked to find out the receivers for my Futaba are $90 a pop.

For me, another thing was the number of memories. The entry level Spektrum had only 3, while the Futaba had 10. I've already got four. Might end up with 5 or 6, so three would've been tough.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:46 AM
My Feedback: (1)

i have a mx-3 (FM) i would be willing to part with. PM me if interested. it works like new. the only flaw is the word "t-maxx" written in sharpie on the top of the battery compartment.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

I wouldn't let the 4AA vs. 8AA be a factor. The Spektrum probably goes half as long on a set of batts.

Any notable differences in features?

One thing to check on is the price of receivers. I was a little shocked to find out the receivers for my Futaba are $90 a pop.

For me, another thing was the number of memories. The entry level Spektrum had only 3, while the Futaba had 10. I've already got four. Might end up with 5 or 6, so three would've been tough.

actually its a great feature...not only do the batteries last longer and there being less of them (saves money)...it also allows the radio to be lighter....

so your theory that the batteries only last half as long goes out the window.....next?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: firebird78
actually its a great feature...not only do the batteries last longer and there being less of them (saves money)...it also allows the radio to be lighter....
Maybe you can explain to me the miracle technology that allows the Tx to run twice as long on half the power. The only way they could make it last longer on half the batteries is to reduce output power by a factor of 4. Reduced output power = reduced range. Otherwise, it is simply amazing to me that no one else has thought of doubling their power for free. Maybe I can also apply this miracle technology to the electronic system of my trucks and get twice the runtime!!!

The difference between 4 & 8 batteries is not an arm-breaker, but I'm sure it is noticable.

Sorry if I have offended you by suggesting there are other feasible options than your own radio.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM

Maybe you can explain to me the miracle technology that allows the Tx to run twice as long on half the power. The only way they could make it last longer on half the batteries is to reduce output power by a factor of 4. Reduced output power = reduced range. Otherwise, it is simply amazing to me that no one else has thought of doubling their power for free. Maybe I can also apply this miracle technology to the electronic system of my trucks and get twice the runtime!!!

The difference between 4 & 8 batteries is not an arm-breaker, but I'm sure it is noticable.

Sorry if I have offended you by suggesting there are other feasible options than your own radio.
Compare both and see what radio lasts longer with the same set of batteries. I had a XR2i and a DX2.0, both use 8AA's. The Airtronics MX-3 also uses 8, and it is SUCKS the juice right out of batteries. it is hard to get more than a couple hours runtime without switching batteries on that radio. I race alot, and I could go a month or maybe even 2 on a single set of alkalines. The other Spektrums/JRs with 8AA's only last half as long.

Don't bag on it until you have tried it.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 PM

no offense takin (why does everyone seem to get all excited when you state facts?)....as far as the technology behind why the dx3s doesnt use as much power I dont have any idea...but it does use less...

the airtronics isnt a bad radio...but if you compare $160 (airtronics radio and 1 reciever) to $240ish (spektrum with telemetry, 1 telemetry reciever and 1 sport reciever) it isnt a bad deal...you would spend more money on the airtronics if you bought the radio set and an extra reciever...

no matter which radio he buys it should serv him good...he just asked for opinions..and thats mine
Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM

I'm still torn and don't know what radio I want and have no way of really testing a radio since I'm the only one out of my friends that is into RC. At this point, please just make me a short list of radios that are good, are 2.4ghz w/ no crystals and are durable.

Starting off:

1. Spektrum (which series is the best?)
2. Airtronics MX3 < I think it's FM w/ crystals?
3. Futaba 3PM-X

What would you buy on a budget for entry level racing 1/8th?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 PM

if your wanting entry level and dont mind running fm (not much of a big deal at the track as most guys run 2.4ghz) a jr xs3 is a good solid radio...the 75mhz will allow you to change frequencies with pushing a couple buttons and turning 2 dials (the 27 mhz will allow you to change between 6 frequincies I think)...sometimes you can score them on ebay for about $70 shipped (new pulled from a rtr)....airtronics have simuliar radios ( mx3s I believe is what they are, not positive).. they allow you to change frequinces with buttons and dials as well (no changing crystals)...both are solid radios...airtronics has the mx-3fss 2.4ghz radio which is around $160....good radio....as far as spektrum goes I would look at the dx3s...I had a 2.0 and had trouble (alotta people didnt but I did)...from what I read there was alot of issues with the 3.0 also.....

as far as futaba radios I've never owned one or used one so I will let people with experience with them feel ya in on them
Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 PM

A word of advice, buy a great radio NOW and not have to spend any money on radio upgrading in the next 5 years. Since you are racing 1/8 scale, teh absolute LOWEST I would go is a DX3S. M11, Futaba 3PM, DX3R are good radios also but the Spektrum lightness is what really sold me. Instead of saying it is cheap and light, I just say other radios are bulky and heavy. Once you feel teh DX3S and R, other radios will make your hand tired.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks guys. We're headed down to Ft. Lauderdale on Wednesday and there are tons of LHS's, so I think I will pop into a few and ask to hold a few so I can get an idea of what feels comfy. I don't need tons of bells and whistles, but I don't want crystals at all!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: rast4man

I'm still torn and don't know what radio I want and have no way of really testing a radio since I'm the only one out of my friends that is into RC. At this point, please just make me a short list of radios that are good, are 2.4ghz w/ no crystals and are durable.

Starting off:

2. Airtronics MX3 < I think it's FM w/ crystals?

Add the Futaba 3PM-X, $180 w/Rx, w/o servo to your list. 10 model memories, all the programming features you need. Futaba quality and availability.

Only two drawbacks:

1) (minor) a dot matrix display would be nice, rather than the old style characters.
2) Rx's are $90 a pop. (not a big deal if you have nicer cars rather than a new cheapie every week or month)

+1 on what Chris said about buying a good radio now, rather than "buy cheap, buy twice."

In the end, it probably doesn't matter much, between Futaba and Spektrum, as long as you don't get one of the cheapy Spektrums with the range problems. I think that was their early 2 ch. model.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 AM

Thank you. I looked at that radio and that's definitely on the list now.

ORIGINAL: rast4man

Starting off:

2. Airtronics MX3 &lt; I think it's FM w/ crystals?

Add the Futaba 3PM-X, $180 w/Rx, w/o servo to your list. 10 model memories, all the programming features you need. Futaba quality and availability.

Only two drawbacks:

1) (minor) a dot matrix display would be nice, rather than the old style characters.
2) Rx's are $90 a pop. (not a big deal if you have nicer cars rather than a new cheapie every week or month)

+1 on what Chris said about buying a good radio now, rather than "buy cheap, buy twice."

In the end, it probably doesn't matter much, between Futaba and Spektrum, as long as you don't get one of the cheapy Spektrums with the range problems. I think that was their early 2 ch. model.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:36 AM

Okay, I decided and got a trade deal from a cool guy. I'm getting an Airtronics M8 w/ Spektrum Module, 2 Spektrum Pro 3001 receivers, 2 Airtronics 94357 servos, 1 Airtronics 94258 servo and a Futaba S9203 servo. I'm also getting the case for the radio, custom steering wheel, a lot of nitro engine parts, King Headz cooling head, Hot Shot 2 glow plug starter w/ charger, 2 tuned pipes w/ extra springs NIP, a header, NIP clutch shoes and a box of misc parts.

It's costing me 2 XFX HD4850 1GB GDDR3 Video Cards, Thermaltake Toughpower 700w Power Supply, a 1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 RAMChip and that's it.

Win freakin' win.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Anyone else have the Airtronics M8? How do they feel and how heavy with the Spektrum module are they?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 AM

Here's a ? that has probably been asked before but I'm new to RC cars not planes: What is the range on these radios?
I've seen ads for airtronics saying their's are good for 1200 ft while they say the spektrum are good for only 300 ft.
Not that I'll be driving 4 football fields away, but is only 300 ft enuff. unless you get into FPV (video driving)

Hemicuda
Old 01-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Honestly and IMO, the Spektrum radios are a pain. They come "unbinded" constantly and the range is funky. Apparently they fixed it in their new line but it's also pretty expensive. I chose the Airtronics because I used to use them and also I don't hear much by way of them having problems.

Hell in this forum section alone there are posts about the Spektrum binding problems.