Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rustler VXL battery gearing question

Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 AM
hyrulejedi86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler VXL battery gearing question

Hi,
I did a search and couldn't find quite what I need to know. Ihave a couple of interrelated questions:

Ijust got a Rustler VXL and already have 11.1V Lipos for an RC boat that Ihave and am wondering if Iput the gears into the car that traxxas recommends for lipos could Iput the 7.4v 6 cell Venom battery that Ihave with it in the car with those gears? And could Iput a Lipo in the car with the stock gears?

Iguess basically can Iput any battery in up to 3c lipo in the car with any gearing or does it make a difference what combination is used besides speed.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Rustler VXL battery gearing question

The motor and ESC might run hot on that gearing, that is the speed gearing for the street.

Also, is your Venom pack 6 cell (which would be 7.2 V) or is it 7.4 V? (which is a 2S LiPo)

With the stock gearing, you could indeed put in a LiPo, either 2S or 3S. Traxxas' gearing recommendation on the chart is mostly just to prove that it will go 70 mph with the right battery pack and gearing. Those higher speed gearings are way too fast for any offroad running, so you're better off leaving it stock unless you're doing speed runs.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:21 PM
hyrulejedi86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rustler VXL battery gearing question

My venom is a 7.2V NiMH battery pack I just typed the wrong numbr earlier. 

What kind of speeds should I expect get with the LiPo and the stock gearing and then on the extra included pinion gear on those Lipo?

So, depending on the above answer if I kept the Rustler with the included pinion installed, could I use either battery pack (6S NiMH up to 3S Lipo) for both street and off road as long as when off roading I am a little lighter on the throttle with the Lipo?

I am just looking for a good all around gearing that will give both speed and on road/off road fun that won't required constant gear changing.