Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Upgrades

Old 12-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Jakus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrades

Hey, im pretty new to this, i got a car for xmas, but my dad has had a heli for a long time and i want to know if anyone knows some good sites to order upgrades from, im interested in making my traxxas slash fully aluminum
Anyone know some sites to help me out? looking for cheap parts that ship to canada
Old 12-27-2009, 04:08 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Upgrades

I would not recommend going all aluminum but if you have to then here are some companies you can Google. GPM, Integy, and GH Racing.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:17 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you planning on doing with your slash once you get it all aluminum? If you are just going to have it as a show truck and keep it on a shelf I say, "by all means go for it".
But if you are wanting to run it I would suggest either sticking with the stock plastic arms as they will have more flex WHEN you hit something or upgrading to RPM. RPM IMO makes the most durable RC Upgrade parts and I think this is a veiw that is held by most who have been running RC's for any length of time.

check out the link: http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...s/SlashDex.htm
Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah diff stick with stock arms...but if you do feel the need to spend some cash on upgrades go with rpm arms....aluim has its place on rc vehicles...and arms isnt one of them...not on anything thats going to get some serious use anyways
Old 12-28-2009, 12:31 AM
jeepyj027

When i got my Tmaxx i was around 9 or 10. I looked in the rc magazines and saw the all aluminum trucks I thought I just had to have my maxx like that. I'm 18 now and i've learned that the aluminum parts aren't as great as the seem. I'm running all rpm arms and shock towers and body mounts on my maxx and have never broke any of it. The only aftermarket alu part on my truck is the center skid plate. It was nice and shiny when i bought it but its scratched all to crap now.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. Skip the aluminum except on parts that need to be stiffer than plastic. Maybe if you race and don't crash that much, aluminum shock towers would be good for that added stiffness and upgraded threaded-body shocks. Also, hub carriers out of aluminum can be a good upgrade.

The best thing to do is just to run the truck and replace/upgrade things as necessary. Stock, the Slash is very durable. You'll have to crash it pretty darned hard to break something.

If you want more bling, get another body and paint it up really nice. (or have it painted) Get some nice-looking wheels.

But if you want performance think about a brushless system instead.

If I had a stock Slash, lived in Canada, and wanted to upgrade some stuff, I'd think about extra batteries, (maybe LiPo) a computer transmitter, a ski kit for the front wheels, and maybe some paddle tires for the back to make the truck more snow-worthy. Check out the links and videos in this thread for more info.

- Extra batteries will obviously allow you to run longer.
- A set of Sanyo eneloops (can be purchased at Amazon) for the transmitter is a great upgrade from regular NiCd, NiMH or alkaline batteries.
- A computer radio will allow you better control and to drive smoother. You can program things into the radio, instead of trying to mechanically adjust them. I like -15% expo on my steering for instance, and when someone else wants to drive, I can set the throttle end point way down to slow it down and make it easier to control and harder to break. They're just really nice to have. I have a Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz, but the latest Spektrums are pretty popular too.
- The ski kit would make the truck into a little snowmobile. You guys have 6 month long winters up there, from what I understand, so this would be a really good investment.

Have fun and welcome to RCUniverse!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 AM
theRCreverend

ORIGINAL: Jakus

Hey, im pretty new to this, i got a car for xmas, but my dad has had a heli for a long time and i want to know if anyone knows some good sites to order upgrades from, im interested in making my traxxas slash fully aluminum
Anyone know some sites to help me out? looking for cheap parts that ship to canada
Don't know if you've considered this, but it's something to keep in mind when it comes to aluminum:

Aluminum looks nice, but that's about it. You're better off breaking a cheaper plastic control arm in a crash than bending a more expensive aluminum one, and the aluminum will transfer that impact energy to the parts it's mounted to, parts that are likely more expensive and harder to replace. You'll still break something, but it will be further down the line and more expensive than if you had a plastic control arm there.

Also, don't dismiss the toughness of some of these plastic parts, it can be very impressive.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also an issue I learned with aluminum (had Alum arms on my MT2) is that instead of deflecting the impact they transfer it elsewhere (or bend and gotta be chucked out)

My MT2's aluminum arms completely shattered the hub that connected the arms to the chassis and damaged my diff casing a lil. Also the pins that held he arms on warped so bad I had to cut them off. BTW a 2 foot(tops) jump did all this damage. went back to the nylon arms and not broke a piece since.

I know my MT2 is not a slash but the properties of the parts will be similar and how damage is transferred.

I'd just drive it and see what breaks. Replace the parts and if they break again start looking into aftermarket parts
Old 12-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Jakus

First off id like to say thanks to everyone who replied and the advice youve given me, i have been taking it out in the snow alot, its a ton of fun, and i love how waterproof they are. The only real reason i wanted to go with so much aluminum was becasue it looks a hell of alot nicer than the ****ty plastic, but ya i forgot about the flex of plastic.
also i think the computer radio will be my first purchase, but im wondering which parts are best to make aluminum.
also i havent seen too many different types of wheels anyone know a good place to get some fancy wheels?

thanks again for all the help and advice