Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

using two esc together

Old 12-27-2009, 06:34 PM
mwallin85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using two esc together

Prolly a dumb question but is there any reason why I cant use two speed controls on the same channel? I want to hook up two GTB ESC together and run them through one channel on my radio. I'm building a custom clodbuster and I want to have a one esc running the rear motor and one esc running the front motor.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:42 PM
OvalRacer99

Default RE: using two esc together

I have never tried it but don't see why not. Just get yourself a y harness used to conect 2 servos together and give it a shot.
You also have to think about the power to your radio gear running 2 batteries and 2 esc's.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could use 2 TEU-101bk's in parallel with a Y adapter and just use a simple 6v battery pack for the RX's power (the TEU don't have a BEC)
that way you don't have to worry about frying your RX with too much current that 2 ESC's might feed it when hooked up in parallel

But that's just a guess.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:41 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
that way you don't have to worry about frying your RX with too much current that 2 ESC's might feed it when hooked up in parallel
That is a good point, one of the ESCs (or both) should have the BEC disabled to eliminate cross-currents between one BEC and the other.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM
mwallin85

thats a good point i didnt think about the extra power that would be supplied to the RX
Old 12-28-2009, 12:27 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's as simple as using a y-harness between the receiver and the speed controllers. Depending on the speed controllers being used, the BEC circuitry can be damaged if you do not disable it. This can be done by removing the power wire from the y-harness leads where the speed controllers are plugged in. Doing this will require running a separate receiver battery (6v) plugged directly into the receiver. Since this is for a clod buster, there's plenty of room.

This option modifies a $5 wiring harness and leaves your electronic speed controllers untouched.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:33 PM
mwallin85

ok just to be clear I remove both power wires from each esc where they plug into the y-harness and then add a recv. battery to run the recv and servos.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 PM
saltfishy

or you could just unplug one of them and use the other as it normally would be used