Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How do you handle RC trades/sales?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you handle RC trades/sales?

So with me being a business owner, I always follow up with any transaction I do. Whether it be a trade or a cash transaction, I like to keep the communication up. When I ship something, I expect people to contact me and let me know they received it and also whether they are happy with the product or not before we proceed for the "trade". Lately, I've been getting a few people that just seem to be blowing me off and it's frustrating when I put myself out there and ship first. Is it too much to ask to respond to an email or pick up the phone and say "Hey, I got it"?

Has anyone else had any problems from here or RCTech people and lack of communication?

I feel that this could potentially make me rethink my RC trading practice and now I understand why people don't ship first.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:53 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: How do you handle RC trades/sales?

I only meet in person, at least that way there can be no suprises (usually)
Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 PM
rast4man

Good practice but not feasible if people live all over the place. I shipped stuff to California and haven't heard a word. I'm like ***.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Access

Sometimes if you get a lot of e-mails or communications (private messages or such) you can't always reply to every one. There is such a thing as information overload or saturation. Try to structure your communications in such a way that no response is a positive response. This will cut down on pointless communications and make for a more efficient use of your own time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication_theory

For instance a self-terminating message like "Your ... was shipped today. Your satisfaction is important to us. If you are not satisfied in any way with the <product> or our service, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will do whatever we can to rectify the situation." The customer will contact you _only_ if he is unhappy. If the customer is happy, no further contact is necessary. If most of your customers are happy, a setup like this is ideal.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I would rather have some communication regarding if something was shipped or where the other person was at.  It is often hard to trust people and if you don't hear anything it is easy to think the worst of people. 
Old 01-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I get no communication through ebay all the time....... I hate it.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 PM
rast4man

That is what I primarily do in my business and I've been very successful with communication and levels of support. However, this being RC trades kind of makes a different scenario IMO. I definitely grasp what you're saying but it seems that most people I've dealt with, communicate almost immediately when a package is shipped or received. What makes it tough is the mere fact that there are people out there that aren't honest. Who knows what their intentions are. I always try to see the good in people and give them the benefit of the doubt, but it's a little unnerving when you don't get communication for an expensive item you shipped first.

To add to what I'm dealing with here is an example of the transaction:

Up until the item was "delivered" to the destination, I was getting complete communication on all aspects (email, phone, text, etc). Once the item was delivered, the communication literally shut off and THAT is what is making me a little nervous. I definitely covered my bases by making a video of what I sent, to whom it was sent to and what the transaction was for. I also did an official invoice from my company and also made an "official offer" on the car and has yet to be accepted. Like I said, I try to see the good in everyone but when it's thousands of miles away and I don't hear anything, I have to think about the pros and cons and what I would have to do in order to recoup my products back if something happens.

ORIGINAL: Access

Sometimes if you get a lot of e-mails or communications (private messages or such) you can't always reply to every one. There is such a thing as information overload or saturation. Try to structure your communications in such a way that no response is a positive response. This will cut down on pointless communications and make for a more efficient use of your own time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication_theory

For instance a self-terminating message like "Your ... was shipped today. Your satisfaction is important to us. If you are not satisfied in any way with the<product> or our service, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will do whatever we can to rectify the situation." The customer will contact you _only_ if he is unhappy. If the customer is happy, no further contact is necessary. If most of your customers are happy, a setup like this is ideal.
</product>
Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM
OvalRacer99

When selling stuff, I always inform the buyer when the package is shipped and all tracking info. If the tracking says it has been delivered and I don't hear from the buyer, then I asume everything is ok. I have sold several things on EBay and never hear from the buyer, not even through the feedback system. I guess I take it as being no news is good news because I am sure if there were a problem, they would contact you to resolve it. Very fustrating from a sellers point of view.
When purchasing things, I always contact the seller when things arive and it's all good, just common curtesy.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

When trading, I always ship at the same time, and i only trade with people who have good feedback. I just bought a truck off of ebay, and I let the guy know as soon as i recieved it, told him i was happy with it, and left him positive feedback. I dont like it when i do a deal with someone and they dont respond either. Its nice to know if someone even received it or if they are happy or not, or what. I mean, 1 sentence wrote back is enough to let a person know. "Hey, i got the item. Everything looks good. Thanks!" Thats all it takes, its not that hard.

If I was doing a trade and I shipped first and didnt hear anything, I would definately be real antsy to hear back from the person since, like you said, you are putting you and your $$ on the line. I always like to keep communication up with people i trade with/buy from though. And I always send tracking numbers ASAP.

So far i have had good luck, but there are times when you get worried about it.

Eric
Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: rast4man
Up until the item was ''delivered'' to the destination, I was getting complete communication on all aspects (email, phone, text, etc). Once the item was delivered, the communication literally shut off and THAT is what is making me a little nervous. I definitely covered my bases
Now I don't know why it should. Believe me if the customer is unhappy with the transaction after he receives the product you'll probably be the first to hear about it. By not hearing anything, you can assume the best; as another poster said 'no news is good news'.

Now if you are a business and you want that final contact from the customer, you can do one of those 'fill out a survey and get something free' ie. $5.00 off your next order with us. Remember to try to put yourself in the customer's shoes. In one's mind, the (business) transaction is complete and one is perfectly happy, why would one need to contact you? If you want the customer to contact you, you really have to give him a reason to do so.

Up until the point the transaction is complete, he has a reason to do so, he wants to ensure it completes. Once it completes that reason goes away.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:37 PM
rast4man

I will just wait it out and hope for the best. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM
cenracer1

I also sell a bunch of stuff on online sites and it drives me crazy when I don't hear from a customer good or bad.. seems ebay is the worst... Even just leaving feedback would be fine for me.. when I purchase something I make it a point to send an email to the seller letting them know I got the item and everything is fine.. I don't care how busy you are, it takes only a minute to send a little note to someone.. When I sell an item, I make it a point to let the buyer know when it was shipped and provide all tracking info.. How hard is that to do.. If I don't hear from them after I know it was delivered, I will send a quick short email asking to confirm receipt of the item and if they are happy with the purchase and especially in the case of ebay or other sites to leave feedback.. reminding them I will do the same for them... usually works very well... but not always...I had one buyer who never acknowledged receipt of the item, no feedback, ignored all e-mails everything.. Funny.. he was all over me when he bought the motor and just fell off the face of the earth after it was delivered.. My gut feeling when I sold this was to have him sign a delivery confirmation.. I think I might have ticked him off.. Too bad.. he made me nervous the way he was acting...
Old 01-06-2010, 03:38 PM
rast4man

It all worked out and it's all gravy. I'm new to RC trading so I just got a little nervous. All is well. On another note, I got my Airtronics M8, Spektrum Module, 4 Airtronics HT servos and a bunch of stuff. I LOVE trading when it goes well.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
cobra26

God forbid what happened to me does not happen to anyone here, as it made me feel terrible.

Four years ago I sold a 19' boat on eBay, received a $500 deposit via PayPal with the balance ($7,200) due upon pick up. The auction had ended on May 3rd. In our correspondence and phone calls, the buyer and I agreed he would pick it up on his way back home from an upcoming 4th of July visit to see his son in NY, as he lived in Georgia (I'm in NJ), and I agreed to accept the balance in cash at the time of pick up. Well, the 4th of July came and went. Emails went unanswered, phone calls dead-ended in turned off service, and I received nothing in the mail. I sent a Certified letter, with return receipt requested. The letter was returned unopened and unsigned about 3 weeks later. I was really hopping mad because I had missed the best seasonal window of opportunity for selling the boat and having it off my property.

In late September I received a call from his son in NY state. He was calling to apologize and explain that his father had passed away in mid-May (after agreeing to buy the boat and sending me the $500) and he had come across a letter I had sent his father which is how he learned how to reach me. The son insisted I keep the $500 deposit with his apologies about the rest of the sale, but I returned the money to him. I felt terrible and embarrassed for the feelings I had developed about his father over the summer.

Karma was good. I sold the boat the next spring for $8600 through an ad in a local paper! No more selling "big" items for me on eBay! Just goes to show 'ya...
Old 01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: cenracer1
letting them know I got the item and everything is fine.. I don't care how busy you are, it takes only a minute to send a little note to someone.. When I sell an item, I make it a point to let the buyer know when it was shipped and provide all tracking info.. How hard is that
Again this is where you have to look at something from the customer's point-of-view. To them you are probably no different than an amazon or a tower hobbies or such. The internet turns you into 'just another faceless entity' so why would they want to contact you after the transaction was complete. Do you do the same for amazon or tower hobbies? Not unless you are dis-satisfied in some way.

I don't mean to sound awful but it's the attitude that one has to develop online once you become involved in larger things or larger groups of people. Does the 'net control you or do you control it? If you feel compelled to respond to every communication, even if not necessary or if trivial, then it ends up controlling you. Especially when you are getting private messages in the tens or even hundreds every day.

The end user has to draw the line somewhere. As more and more people get move and more involved with the 'net, using it to do more and more, what you see as 'put-offs' will only grow.