Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Always Be Prepared

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 PM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Always Be Prepared

Well with RC thefts up at the moment due to the terrible economy...I highly suggest investing in some personal protection.

Personally everytime I run my trucks/cars I always keep a 6" double edged knife in my backpocket and a .45 in my truck with jacketed hollow points.

In Texas it is legal to keep a firearm in your vehicle as it is considered your property and the Castle Law protects your rights.

Where I run my RC's is not always the best of neighborhoods. Especially if you have large scale RC's you need a lot of room. I am planning on getting a Baja pretty soon and safety is your number one concern.

A lot of people love RC's a lot of people hate them. I've had one guy in a pick up try to run my Sprint 2 Flux over....little did he know it hits 50mph way faster than his Dodge Ram can.

I outmanuevered him with ease and he just sped off. On another note another kid stepped out of his Cadillac CTS for no apparent reason and wanted to pick a fight with me. I am 6' 2" and weigh 224 lbs he threatened to pull a gun on me and I dared him to because I asked him what he was packing and he just said Glock. If you're at least gun amateur you'd know what make/model and caliber your firearm is.

He had a girl in the car and I am sure he was just trying to impress her. Just because we play with RC cars does NOTMEAN we are immature. This is a hobby sport not a toy.

Becareful everyone and stay prepared.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 PM
ThEoNeS911

Default RE: Always Be Prepared

I just keep an airsoft gun handy (not the best).. dogs and stuff are always chasing my cars and trucks..
Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 PM
alexchen86

Lol...man I bump into you on every thread dude!

Animals love me...I think I was born with it as my parents used to own a pet shop. I would never harm an animal.

I would scare them....but that's a different story.

Thanks for all your help buddy I've learned a lot from you.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 PM
ThEoNeS911

Heh, I don't actually shoot them, I just pull it out and it usually scares them, and they run off. There are actually quite a bit of strays in my area, not right now in the harsh winter conditions, but in the summer, I see about 1-3 a say outside..
Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

When the economy is down people will stoop to anything. I mean come on... stealing RC stuff? That's low.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 PM
johndavis

yes when all the jobs has been lost that has been lost. its hard to feed the kids. but that is no reason to steal and so on. ive been with nothing and had to work hard to get out of the situation. a church helped me get out and get back on my feet. its hard to ask for help when you are down. a hobby shop here in georgia got broke in to on christmas morning. i wonder why they dont serial number the rc cars?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 PM
rast4man

Sorry to hear about your situation. It seems it's hitting more and more people in this country. I won't go into a political rant here but I certainly blame it on politics.

Glad you were able to get help and it's okay to ask if you need it. It's the people that ask for it that don't need it that ruin "the system".

I agree, they should put serial #'s somewhere on the cars but that would be pretty easy to counterfeit one would think.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: johndavis

i wonder why they dont serial number the rc cars?
IMO it would cost more than it would help.

Lets face it how many times do you take your RC into the shop for repairs?
how hard would it be to dremel the SN off of one. In all truth they would serve no purpose except to return a part to the manufacturer and that would only be valid for people who registered.
I honestly can't see any good a serial # on a RC would do.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 PM
johndavis

it probally would be a head ace in the beginning and if you buy a gun, car,even a tv with the serial number grinded off its the same as stealing it. even though your bought it at a flea market or ebay.
wouldnt have to have a regestration system but a number to positive identify the product. if i was to steal your r/c and show up at a track later you said it was yours how would you positivily identify it? no serial number it would be your word against mine. when you take this to a judge he would ask how do you know this one is yours how would you prove it? if it had a serial number that would be a case closed you could positivily identify it.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 PM
johndavis

it probally would be easy to put a bogas numer on. but a serial number would be a start. it was 20 years ago when i got in bad shape. i have never forgot what it was like. and when you are down on your luck you find out who your real friends are. i thought i had good friends when the chips was down they turned their back on me . what hurt was i helped them when they were down. go figure. only one friend helped me he wasent much better shape than i was in but he did show me the right direction. but that is the past and i move on. this may sound funny but its true a church, gave me a box of 50 corn dogs i thought it was steak.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ok where would a serial # go on what part that will never have to be replaced?
Chassis? how much does it cost for a new one on most models on ebay $25?
if anything a SN would have to be on every single part and you would have to carry some form listing serial #'s or have every piece registered. This is why I say its not a very good idea. And fake SN's are simple to get. A real example I broke my old Nintendo DS's case by dropping it ordered a new one from china the chinese case shipped with a fake SN sticker on the bottom that looked 100% legit.
A normal car or big electronics you can't repair on your own generally and they are registered with the government so thats why it works there, even guns are registered. But on an RC I cannot see a SN working at all.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 PM
rast4man

I know all about friends showing their true colors. I lost both of my parents when I was 19 and they left a trust fund for me. I literally bought everything for everyone and a few years later after blowing through the money like crazy, I started running low and was told to watch my spending. Well after that, I didn't have a friend in the world. The best thing about it is that I had money and lost it, made more money lost it and now making more money and keeping it. I'm thankful I learned those lessons at a young age as it really helped me for the future. Now I have a handful of true friends that I know I can count on and vice versa.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I'll be honest I remember when I was 10yo and my old man lost his job. He helped out a few family member in the past when they were down and needed work. Talked to those family members all the time, they used to come over alot also. Once he lost his job they stopped calling, and coming over. Honestly its been over 19 years and my parents have not seen or said one word to them since. Once they heard he found a job(2 years later) they started calling but my parents never returned a single call. I think its a slight bit worst when it is close family members not non-related individuals.
BTW I've been burned by "friends" I used to know(I stopped talking to them after it, I royally hold grudges) that I helped out in the past when they really needed it, that then ignored me when I could have used help. Love how they conveniently forget your phone number when it hasn't changed since before you met them, and they dialed it for 2-3 year prior all the time.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 PM
johndavis

what do you think should be done? there is always a way around anything we think of.i am just saying a serial number is a start not the perfect way to do it. most dont replace the chassis serial numberd items dont have to have a regrestration system like cars,guns.its an identifer like i said before if a item is bought with the serial number grinded of or altered in any way its the same as stolen. i know this because i have seen a guy go to jail , he bought a tv at a flea market on the way home he got stoped by the police guess what thw serial number was sanded off, so off to jail he went. he didnt get charged but the only thing that saved him he wrote a check and was able to give a name who he bought it from.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

could always umm rig up a version of the african car anti-theft device http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc (BTW that is real not a joke )
hell lipo users get it extra simple add in a relay that shorts the lipo to get a similar effect

But even the SN idea would only work at registered races the way you said. But the chassis idea I said say if someone steals an RC and plans to race it. Chances are they already know they check SN's and know where SN's are written so they will just go order replacement parts with diff SN's and probably resell the stolen ones to some poor sucker who will get busted later with it. And with the sheer amount of customizing in the hobby that also makes SN's kinda un-doable

Now if you really want you can always engrave your name on the chassis (I bought a 9yo used one that had a name and date engraved on it) that would work just as well as a SN in all truth.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 PM
kistner

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had bought a rustler off craigslist. the esc went bad so I called traxxas, they said to register the product and then do a warranty claim. There was a number on the bottom of the chassis, i used it to register it and got a new esc. I haven't seen such a number on any of my other rcs (all bought used though) but there was one on the rustler.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Also noticed one on the bottom of my XL-5 now that you mention it (think it got ripped when I pulled off the double sided tape that was holding it on to my RCs chassis)
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: alexchen86

Well with RC thefts up at the moment due to the terrible economy...I highly suggest investing in some personal protection.

Personally everytime I run my trucks/cars I always keep a 6'' double edged knife in my backpocket and a .45 in my truck with jacketed hollow points.

In Texas it is legal to keep a firearm in your vehicle as it is considered your property and the Castle Law protects your rights.

Where I run my RC's is not always the best of neighborhoods. Especially if you have large scale RC's you need a lot of room. I am planning on getting a Baja pretty soon and safety is your number one concern.

A lot of people love RC's a lot of people hate them. I've had one guy in a pick up try to run my Sprint 2 Flux over....little did he know it hits 50mph way faster than his Dodge Ram can.

I outmanuevered him with ease and he just sped off. On another note another kid stepped out of his Cadillac CTS for no apparent reason and wanted to pick a fight with me. I am 6' 2'' and weigh 224 lbs he threatened to pull a gun on me and I dared him to because I asked him what he was packing and he just said Glock. If you're at least gun amateur you'd know what make/model and caliber your firearm is.

He had a girl in the car and I am sure he was just trying to impress her. Just because we play with RC cars does NOT MEAN we are immature. This is a hobby sport not a toy.

I'm of two minds on this.
I'm all for protecting myself and my family. I have several firearms and a concieled carry permit and I do carry when I feel like I'll be in an unsafe area. I would have no compunction against using a gun to protect myself or family. However, I don't believe that I could shoot someone simply because they were trying to steal something from me. Life, even a thiefs, is worth more than the few dollars an RC costs. After all, it could just be some poor schmuck who thinks he has no other options. Now if they threatened me with a weapon to take the RC, then that would be different...

There was an incident near me a couple of years ago that involved a country club's golf course. There were some lowlifes that were preying on golfers. They'd approach the golfers, pull a gun, threaten their lives, take their valuables and then dissapear into the surroundung neighborhood - not a bad one either. This went on until they ran into a golfer who had put a pistol in his golf bag. One robber wounded and later caught and one DRT.

That I have no problem with.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 PM
olkleaf

Wow that's nuts people trying to fight you and run over your rc cars. Maybe try to find some one else to bash with it ussaly harder to get jumped if your with company. I have always tryed to run my cars with other people. I ussaly feell like the track is the safest place to use my cars.

Serial numbers would be a start. One of my engines, my RB v12 r3, has what I belive to be a serial number on the side of the crank case. It's etched on the crank case so it really can't be taken off unless you sand or scrath the numbers with some kind of powered tool. Now that I see this I think it would be a good idea to right it down.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 PM
rast4man

I have stories that would make you sick. In short, my grandmother served on the Board of Directors for Clairol Industries in Stamford, CT. We lived in Darien at the time. My mother also had an amazing job and made amazing money. Once the parents and grandparents died, the remaining family members got my sister and I cut out of the will and we had to sign off on it to pursue a lawsuit. Long story short, once we signed off and talked to the last uncle that was pursuing the lawsuit, he never called us and we didn't see a dime. We're talking about serious amounts of money. Greed took over and it was sickening.

Money destroyed my entire family over the years and I vowed to never be like that. I've inherited money, made money and now I'm content just doing well. It's true when they say "money is the root of all evil".

I still try to see the good in people and I always try to help people in need. I just don't ask or expect anything in return this way I don't get disappointed. If I happen to see money get back to me, it's just a surprise. :P

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I'll be honest I remember when I was 10yo and my old man lost his job. He helped out a few family member in the past when they were down and needed work. Talked to those family members all the time, they used to come over alot also. Once he lost his job they stopped calling, and coming over. Honestly its been over 19 years and my parents have not seen or said one word to them since. Once they heard he found a job(2 years later) they started calling but my parents never returned a single call. I think its a slight bit worst when it is close family members not non-related individuals.
BTW I've been burned by "friends" I used to know(I stopped talking to them after it, I royally hold grudges) that I helped out in the past when they really needed it, that then ignored me when I could have used help. Love how they conveniently forget your phone number when it hasn't changed since before you met them, and they dialed it for 2-3 year prior all the time.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:16 AM
10x8

Personally everytime I run my trucks/cars I always keep a 6'' double edged knife in my backpocket and a .45 in my truck with jacketed hollow points.

I outmanuevered him with ease and he just sped off. On another note another kid stepped out of his Cadillac CTS for no apparent reason and wanted to pick a fight with me. I am 6' 2'' and weigh 224 lbs he threatened to pull a gun on me and I dared him to because I asked him what he was packing and he just said Glock. If you're at least gun amateur you'd know what make/model and caliber your firearm is.

He had a girl in the car and I am sure he was just trying to impress her. Just because we play with RC cars does NOT MEAN we are immature. This is a hobby sport not a toy.

Can't you just join a club? There will be no need to shoot and stab people then?
Old 01-09-2010, 03:01 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally everytime I run my trucks/cars I always keep a 6" double edged knife in my backpocket and a .45 in my truck with jacketed hollow points.

I outmanuevered him with ease and he just sped off. On another note another kid stepped out of his Cadillac CTS for no apparent reason and wanted to pick a fight with me. I am 6' 2" and weigh 224 lbs he threatened to pull a gun on me and I dared him to because I asked him what he was packing and he just said Glock. If you're at least gun amateur you'd know what make/model and caliber your firearm is.

He had a girl in the car and I am sure he was just trying to impress her. Just because we play with RC cars does NOTMEAN we are immature. This is a hobby sport not a toy.

OMG are you so retarded that you would actually shoot someone over a toy ?

Wonder why the US has 25 thousand gun related deaths a year, your attitude is one reason !

lm glad you dont run at our track, not that anyone l drive with steals anything, but who wants a freekin loony like you throwing stray bullets around, ya quak !

A punch in the mouth fair enough, but death, ffs, grow a brain.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 AM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clubs just seem to be a gathering point for d bags and wanna be RC elitests or at least that has been my experience with them.

I carry a .45 all the time not because i think some one is gonna try and jack my RC vehicle but just because i like to be armed just incase.

How sad is it when people have to worry about people stealing there RCvehicles Its funny and sad at the same time.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:16 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Deer-Hunting-J...3024950&sr=1-2
Old 01-09-2010, 03:20 AM
rast4man

He didn't say he was going to shoot someone over RC. He made the point that he's protected and in some places people need to be. It's not an America thing either. Violence is everywhere. Don't start jumping on the "America hate train".

Is there no violence in Oz or does everyone just keep putting more shrimps on the barbie?

ORIGINAL: piddlefoot

OMG are you so retarded that you would actually shoot someone over a toy ?

Wonder why the US has 25 thousand gun related deaths a year, your attitude is one reason !

lm glad you dont run at our track, not that anyone l drive with steals anything, but who wants a freekin loony like you throwing stray bullets around, ya quak !

A punch in the mouth fair enough, but death, ffs, grow a brain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.