Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Acme vs Traxxas?

Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acme vs Traxxas?

I purchased an Acme Monstster Ta month ago. It was my first truck. Well, my daughter's truck??? I purchased a Traxxas off Ebay last week. What a world of difference. I know hardly anybody wants to talk about Acme, now I know why!! I know people debate on which truck is the best, but this Traxxas is certainly well built compared to the Acme. Night and day.

Now, since I don't know much ( I need to find a manual on internet for traxxas), I have a few questions about the Traxxas:

When I turn the input shaft on the transmission, the output does not turn. It feels like it is free wheeling? Should it do that?

There is a red switch on the remote where your thumb goes. What is it for?

Last, it has an EZ start system. I need to get a battery charger for it. Where is a good place?

Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Acme vs Traxxas?

Traxxas is one of the most popular RC brands. You can get parts from almost anywhere. Which traxxas model do you have?

ACME is a chinese knockoff brand, it will be hard to find parts for you.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 PM
rooker

I think it is a Tmaxx.  It has 2.5 on the engine.  I don't see anything else on it.  It looks to be in good shape, other than the body is scatched up. 
dude must have spent most of his time on lid?  Under the body looks almost new!!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 PM
sheograth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always tell people to stick to well known brands, better first and third party parts support.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:11 PM
rooker

Found my EZ controller and charger on Ebay.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rooker

I purchased an Acme Monstster T a month ago. It was my first truck. Well, my daughter's truck??? I purchased a Traxxas off Ebay last week. What a world of difference. I know hardly anybody wants to talk about Acme, now I know why!! I know people debate on which truck is the best, but this Traxxas is certainly well built compared to the Acme. Night and day.

Now, since I don't know much ( I need to find a manual on internet for traxxas), I have a few questions about the Traxxas:

When I turn the input shaft on the transmission, the output does not turn. It feels like it is free wheeling? Should it do that?

Last, it has an EZ start system. I need to get a battery charger for it. Where is a good place?

the red switch by your thumb is for channel 3
some people use them for reverse modules on Nitro's (waste of money IMO) some rig up lights to them, or anything else they feel like. Saw one guy had his EZ-start set to flip on b a servo he had hooked upto channel 3 so he didn't have to bother.

Traxxas 2.5's from what I read on them are not the greatest engines good luck with your used one.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I purchased an Acme Monstster Ta month ago. It was my first truck. Well, my daughter's truck??? I purchased a Traxxas off Ebay last week. What a world of difference. I know hardly anybody wants to talk about Acme, now I know why!! I know people debate on which truck is the best, but this Traxxas is certainly well built compared to the Acme. Night and day.

the red switch by your thumb is for channel 3
some people use them for reverse modules on Nitro's (waste of money IMO) some rig up lights to them, or anything else they feel like. Saw one guy had his EZ-start set to flip on b a servo he had hooked upto channel 3 so he didn't have to bother.

Traxxas 2.5's from what I read on them are not the greatest engines good luck with your used one.
i think it depends on how you run your 2.5r on how it lasts i run mine a bit rich and on 18%oil blend and its been runnin for years now with no problems.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 PM
rooker

I run my Acme, which has a sh18 engine a little rich also.  I haven't tried tuning for optimum power.  It is plenty of fast w/o tuning.  I figure it will last longer running a little rich?  I haven't fired the Traxxas up yet.  It was sent to me with a dead battery and no charger. 
Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Acme is actually probably one of the worst "off brands" in my opinion, mainly because they are really hard to find parts for.

However, traxxas is pretty good for the most part. Ill see if i can answer your questions....

The T-Maxx has reverse from the factory. This requires the transmission to have internal clutches. The internal clutches dont engage until the engine gets the spur gear spinning to a certain RPM, so when you spin it by hands it just feels like it is "free wheeling". Its perfectly normal on the T-Maxx[8D]

The red rocker switch on the remote is for the reverse as the others said. Dont flip this switch while you are giving it throttle. Bring the truck to a stop, flip the switch, and then give it some throttle. Sometimes it may take it a second to switch from reverse to forward, but a few blips of the throttle should get it switched over if you have trouble.

As for the 2.5 engine not being good, I loved mine. It started great. The EZ-Start was really easy to use, and the 2.5 had way more power than any other small block engine I have ever owned. It idled good and tuned easily. However, the only thing you need to be sure of is that the blue glow plug wire is attatched good and in good shape. Otherwise, the engine will crank, but wont start because the glow plug wont heat. If this happens you can use your normal glow ignitor on the plug to start it.

Over all the T-Maxx is a pretty good truck and they are a lot of fun to drive. Good luck with it, and have fun! We have a Traxxas Monster Truck section on the site here if you have any questions.

Eric
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
The Hedgehog

The Traxxas 2.5 is an awesome engine. Everyone I know who has had one had great luck with it as long as you know what you are doing. Congrats on your purchase.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:35 PM
rooker

Thanks for the answers.  I found the manual on the Traxxas website.  That is a cool website.  I can't wait to blow by my duaghter!!  She is picking on me b/c my truck will  not start.  I told her just wait until it does!!!  She will eat my dust.  Until my parts get here, I will have to continue to play with the Acme.  I mean, watch my little girl!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Thanks for the answers. I found the manual on the Traxxas website. That is a cool website. I can't wait to blow by my duaghter!! She is picking on me b/c my truck will not start. I told her just wait until it does!!! She will eat my dust. Until my parts get here, I will have to continue to play with the Acme. I mean, watch my little girl!!!
Just drive over her truck that will shut her up
I did it to my nephew's pede when I got my used savage and was trying to get it running. He didn't think it would run and thought he could race me. He decided to try and cut me off while I was doing engine break in (replaced the engine cause the one that it came with was shot) and my savage his 2nd and went driving over his pede literally monster truck style. After that he never made fun of my savage
Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM
rooker

I also told her not to forget who her mechanic is.  When hers breaks, and it will, she will not be able to go anywhere w/o dad!!  No need to pick at dad right now, her day is coming.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Mufasa_719

I have always found the 2.5 to be reliable. Other than I had 1 that had an air leak. Not too bad of a mill i think.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:36 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

acme sounds like a bugs bunny cartoon brand
Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

lol why when I saw the acme brand truck I was like uhhh will it explode like it does for Wile E Coyote when a bird comes near it
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 PM
MCSRacing

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

lol why when I saw the acme brand truck I was like uhhh will it explode like it does for Wile E Coyote when a bird comes near it
exactly!!!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 PM
rooker

As soon as I say this , it will break, but the Acme has been a pretty good little truck so far.  It was easy for me to get running, having no experience at all with nitro.  I only paid $185 for it.  It has a sh engine, which, I have heard is a pretty OK engine?  Comparing it to the Traxxas, it looks cheap(b/c it is), but has been worth the money so far.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 PM
MCSRacing

no man not sayin nuttin about the truck ... its just the name kills!! ACME .... i dig it big time!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 PM
rooker

no, I know.......it just suprised me that the truck has did so well after seeing what a "real" MT looks like.  The Tmaxx just looks so much more robust!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

l saw the topic title and laughed me gutz out, acme v traxxas, funny stuff , must be a chineese dude !

Then l read his post. LOL !
Old 03-19-2010, 04:12 PM
rooker

As soon as I said the Acme was doing well, It broke today!!!!!!!

The clutch has 2 spring loaded "arms"(for the lack of a better word).  Those arms are on pins.  1 started slipping off the pin and got kocked sideways.  Bent the outer housing with the gear that drives tranny.

Me and my cheap truck!?!?!?!?!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
mindwreck

That should be a simple fix. Its just the clutch and clutch bell you need to replace.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:00 PM
rooker

yeah, found them at RC toyhouse, $20.  Not bad at all.  The biggest deal is truck is down for the weekend.  It supposed to be 75 degrees tomorrow and sunny!!!!!!  Great weather to play with truck.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

hmm couldn't you use a clutch shoes off another model?
most places clutch shoes are like $4 and springs are $2 and are very generic.
you might be able to get a better designed clutch off a different model that won't have that issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.