Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What's the longest you kept a RC for?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What's the longest you kept a RC for?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:01 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What's the longest you kept a RC for?

My RCs are always come and go. Something new comes out, time to sell the old one.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What's the longest you kept a RC for?

seeing I got into this last year I got all my RC's I bought(cept my brama seeing I cannibalized it)
Hell I still have Tyco RC's from over 20 years ago from when I was a kid still
Only one that crossed my mind to sell was my micro high roller seeing I've used it less than 5 times in 3 months
Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

longest iv kept a car: 13 years and counting
longest iv used a car: 12 years and counting
i hate spending money, even if i have to. so im not one of those people who sells off the old to buy something new every year or two. i make do with what iv got until it becomes to much hassle to use on a regular basis, then i stop using that part/car and i upgrade just the one item
Old 03-17-2010, 09:42 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still have my original traxxas fiero and cat (11yrs), my rusty is long gone but the pede (9 1/2) is well, some of you have seen it, other cars though are come and go like my sledgehammer and rc10gt
Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
sheograth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy/sell a LOT of stuff, but I still have some of my first few. I haven't actually been into RC for too long at all, contrary to what most people think. The oldest cars I have are some Tamiya kits from a few years ago. The bigger more expensive stuff I tend to trade/sell more often so that I can try new things without having to spend lots of new cash.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I do quite a bit of trading around because I like trying new things[8D]

However, I bought a Traxxas Stampede Kit new in about 03 and owned it until last year. So i had it for about 6 years, and sold it to get into nitro. Then I got my father in law into them and he bought an electric, and now I have 2 other electric stampede's(one for me, one for my fiance). I have had my savage for a year and dont plan on sending it off anytime soon either.

I just like buying, selling, and trading a lot though, so I do a lot of trading and have learned a little from my trading as to what I like the best. Unfortunately I cant afford everything id like to have, but I feel blessed to have the 4 that I do own because I can remember a time when i was lucky to keep 1 going.

Eric
Old 03-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Raguvian

My TT-01 was my first R/C car... I doubt I will be giving that up any time soon. I'll probably keep it forever in some form.

Other cars are come and go though. I'm probably going to end up selling my RC10GT and TA-03F soon to get a Losi Micro Rock Crawler and a MERV.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:21 AM
DarkFire989

1987 Tamiya Clodbuster. My dad got one the year it came out, still have it.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 AM
MCSRacing

i still have the 1st black tub GT that i bought back in like 94 ... i usually hang on to my Associated stuff pretty long but the others come and go!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Argess

I still have my old single channel Dumas Lil' Swamp Buggy from around 1973, so that's 37 years.

I never sell my RCs. For the $$ loss, I prefer to keep them.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 AM
MTboy

I've only been around for almost 4 years but have had my Rustler the whole time. Use to keep everything till lately since times are tough around here. I've ended up selling a few mini's to support my slash.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I think that in the last three years I have probably gone through at least 50 different cars/trucks.  Right now I the car that I have kept the longest is my t-maxx which I have had for about 8 months, otherwise I have sold off my other stuff to get new stuff in the last few months.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Spetz

I have a 10 year old TB01. I bought it when I was a kid, and no I've taken it out here and there.

No point in selling it.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM
The Collector1

Some of the ones that I can remember, Clod -87,RC 10 -1986, Manta ray-1990
Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

22 year old 6 wheel drive, still have it in pieces.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:18 PM
john01374

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My mother bought me my first Grasshopper when i was about 11 or so. My next RC was a Bruiser then an RC10CE all within just a couple of years. I'm 35 now and still have the Grasshopper and RC10CE. The Bruiser was sold on Ebay last year so that's something like 24 years for the Hopper and YES all three still run perfectly.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM
lee172

my longest running RC is my TA03 TRF, got it in April 2007, not sure what my first NIB was...
Old 03-18-2010, 09:27 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Longest I've had an RC? I tend to keep them rather than sell (it's worth the stupid grin on my face when I look at the oldies I used to race). The oldest one I got back in 1985. I guess that makes it 25 years and counting...
Old 03-19-2010, 05:40 AM
lez1troubles

I still have my Tamiya Sand Scorcher from 1983ish, got it from my grandad as my first rc model and will NEVER sell it. It's still in perfect condition and gets regular use at our race track. It actually blows away alot of the newer stuff on the track.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

l loved the Hotshot meself, always like it most out of the tamia '80s' cars.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:19 AM
ScottKelly911

My first RC was a Kyosho Turbo Optima still have it in pieces. Second was an RC10 Gold Pan, still have it and it only needs a few odds and ends to be back on the road. Maybe I'll throw in a brushless system and go Lipo in it just for fun. Next was my first and only Nitro car which was a Kyosho Stinger, I have no idea what happened to it, didn't sell it, but can't seem to find it either. Next was my RC10LS Pan car, still have it and wouldn't take much to put it back on the road. Then I got a Pre-production Yokomo YR4M2 Pro just recently put it back together with a Brushless Novak GTB/Velociti 3.5R combo and Reedy Saddle pack Lipo. Having trouble finding out where to mount everything since it's all a little bigger than the old school electrics.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:35 AM
On2_n_On4

Kyosho Rampage-10. From 1988/89 and sold it on cragslist back in 2008.
Also sold a clod buster, blackfoot, 3 tamiya mini coppers and the original RS4 to the same guy.

I have no idea why I sold them [:@] I wish I could find the guy and buy them all back from him[] (if you are a member here send me a PM!!!!!)

The oldest car that I have right now is an RS4-2 and......

.......I still have my first RC toy car my grandfather game me when I was around 6, (41 now) [&:]

original battery

Old 03-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Merc4Stroke

I got my first hobby grade when I was 15.... I ran the hell out of it, and it sits in it's own cabinet behind glass now. I'm 36 and I'd never part with it... too much sentimental value.

I've moved up through the generations of RC10s, selling old rollers to get the new generation rollers. I think the last "new" one I bought was a T3. I still have that, but run my B4 and T4 most. My daughter is getting pretty good in the house with the mini-t, soon she'll move outside and up to the T3.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58181.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1402316  
Old 03-23-2010, 05:03 AM
mechanizeddeath

I still have one of my old Tyco RCs, a Mini Typhoon hovercraft. The bag is torn and one of the blades is broken, and one of my friends submerged it [:@] but I think it might still run otherwise. I think that was from the early 90s, I'd guess around 92 or so. If I could get my hands on a new blade and bag I'd love to take it out again.

My first hobby grade was a re-re Tamiya Brat, purchased the same day I joined RCU. I didn't really know how to build or drive very well, and because of that it sits in pieces now.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Yellow355F1

Besides 3 lost in a house fire A Lunch Box, Grass hopper, and a Monogram Mad Wolf. 1 giveaway an Associated B3, 2 bought to sell direct to get a friend in the hobby a Duratrax Maximum ST + a Traxxas T-Maxx, and 1 I kick myself all the time for selling was my Kyosho Inferno. But, I needed money badly at the time. I tend to hold on to them no matter how bad they get. The longest running car I have in my possession happened to be with me in 89 at the time of the fire. So, I have had it since Xmas of 88 so over 21 years and, it is still in one piece though I can't say that for the body. The second longest owned would have to be my Kyosho Outlaw Rampage. STILL on the first OS Max .12 only thing changed was the carb due to the mixture screw breaking. I got it in 92 as I was venturing back into RC after backing away for a bit. I do have one very old RC car that I have had since 95. The father of a friend of mine was a long haul trucker and, came across it in Arizona at a thrift shop. He saw it and, picked it up for me since he knew I was big into RC's. After many years of owning it not until within a few years ago did I find out just what the heck it was. A '71 HeathKit Spectre with a McCoy .15 engine. It looks to have never even been run or had the engine mounted. at a mere 39 years old it is by far the oldest I have in my collection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.