Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Best tires for Slash 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Kalani938

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tires for Slash 4x4?

What would be the best tires for grip for the Slash 4x4? Are there any good tires that can go on the rims that come on the truck or do you have to buy new rims? Ihave heard that the PL Bowtie tires are really good.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:48 AM
ScottKelly911

Default RE: Best tires for Slash 4x4?

The question you asked is extremely ambiguous, but I'm going to try to answer the best I can using my experience or what I've read from others experiences.

Loose or dusty dirt on top of hardpack dirt: Proline Calibers work very well with Bow-ties not far behind.

Hard clay like you'd find at many indoor offroad tracks: JConcepts Goosebumps

Muddy or damp dirt: Proline Trenchers

Sand: Proline or other brand Paddles in the rear with Proline Bow-tie fronts. This will give you plenty of bite for turning as well as traction and many people are also having success going with the stock traxxas tires on the front with paddles on the rear and not running the Mohawks on the front since the 4x4 wont get traction with them. Though the Mohawks are great on 2wd vehicles where front tire traction isn't applicable other than for turning. If used on a 4x4, they'll make you handle like a 2wd.

Onroad: Proline Road Rages or Traxxas Anacondas.

Carpet tracks: ??? No experience, there's none around where I live and haven't really heard much either, maybe someone else can chime in with their experiences there.

Pretty much every one of those tires can be purchased either pre-mounted or seperately. All of them with the exception of the Road Rages come in sizes that will fit your stock rims 2.2 / 3.0

One last thing to add is that most racing tracks don't allow it, because it's an "unfair advantage" but a lot of people are running 1/8 scale buggy wheels and tires. If you do that, you'll need to get adapters similar to these ones that I just purchased http://prolineracing.com/performance...heel-adapters/

Also note, I didn't list any AKA or Panther tires because none of my friends or I have ever used them, but hear that they both also make very good tires.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM
johndavis

i like the goosebumps   i run on hard clay
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Kalani938

Well I mainly ride on dirt that is loose, but sometimes ride on a track that is hard packed clay.  Mostly I ride on looser dirt though.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:16 AM
ScottKelly911

I think you'd be very happy with the Calibers. You can buy them pre-mounted or you can buy them seperate and they'll fit your stock rims, just be sure to get the right size, 2.2/3.0 which is standard for short course trucks. If you go to a hobby store, they should be able to help you out to make sure you get the right ones. Be sure to use a good quality tire glue if you buy them seperate and mount them onto your stock Traxxas wheels. Also, if you're going to use your stock wheels, make sure you clean off the area really well where the tires glue on. If money isn't too tight, I'd just go for a set that's pre-mounted on the 1-piece Split-six rims like this http://prolineracing.com/race/calibe...-piece-wheels/ As for whether you want to go M3 (soft) compound or M2 (medium) that's up to you. The softer ones will do better on the hard clay surface while the mediums will be better on the loose dirt. I personally run M2 fronts and M3 rears on my Bow-ties. Knowing then what I know now, I'd have gone with the Calibers, but the Bow-tires are decent too.

One last thing, if you don't get pre-mounted, take out the foam, turn the tires inside out and use Gorilla Tape and run it around the tires. If you're intimidated by all of this, there's some great tutorials on youtube for mounting and taping tires. This will keep the tires from ballooning. This will give you better traction, give you even wear and prolong the life of the tires. Good Luck!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:31 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

Personally I run 1/8th buggy adapters and I run VP Pro "Axeman" at my track. They hook up insane when the track is nice and grooved. On a fresh clay dump I use AKA Ibeams and they are great too.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:35 PM
TRXRUSTLER
My Feedback: (7)

I run Proline Calibers on a clay track
Old 04-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Kalani938

What tires are best for running on a dirt/grass mixture?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Kalani938

Well I was thinking about going with the ProLine beadlock rims, but after doing a search on here I'm not so sure anymore.  Seems a lot of people on here think they are too heavy compared to other rims and that the bolts get stripped out too easily?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 PM
mrgoodbar

ORIGINAL: Kalani938

What tires are best for running on a dirt/grass mixture?
The stock tires that came with your truck.
If you are not racing there really is no need for other tires, as they are really more of a race-specific type tire.

Otherwise I would suggest you use a more appropriate forum to address your tire/wheel questions, like the OffRoad section of the forum.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Kalani938

I mainly ride on dirt/grass mixture, but I also run on a track that is hardpakced red clay and I plan on getting into racing in the near future.  Thanks